Easy beef stroganoff
Keywords: family, parenting, iron, protein
Using beef strips means you can cook dinner in a flash!
- 600g beef strips
- 2 tbsp oil
- 30g butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 250g mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 250ml carton light sour cream
- 1 tsp cornflour
- salt and pepper to season
- egg noodles to serve
- Coat 600g beef strips with 2 tbsp oil. Preheat a large, heavy based frying pan until moderately hot; cook the beef in two batches until just done.
- Remove beef and set aside.
- Add 30g butter to the pan and a small finely chopped onion, cook until soft, then add 250g of thinly sliced mushrooms, cook until tender.
- Add 2/3 cup of beef stock and 2 tbsp of tomato paste, stir to combine and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in a 250ml carton of light sour cream combined with 1 tsp of cornflour. Stir until well combined, simmer for 1 minute. Season well with salt and pepper, return beef to pan and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve with egg noodles.
Butcher’s tip for cooking beef strips
When cooking beef strips cook the first side until the first sign of moisture appears on the uncooked side, then turn and cook the other side to complete the cooking. This way the beef strips will brown well, and the meat will be tender.
Butcher’s tips for the right cut
Buy stir-fry beef strips or use these beef cuts to make your own – beef fillet, rib eye/scotch fillet, sirloin, rump, round and blade.
Thinly slice the beef across the diagonal to use.
Some other similar recipes
Loading tip submission...
Loading tips list...