Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Communities
  4. Christchurch
  5. When can my baby go swimming??

When can my baby go swimming?? Rss

Hi there

My baby is almost 10 wks old and I was wondering when he is able to go to a swimming pool??

Is he still too little to go??
Most pools won't let kids go until 6 months old due to vaccinations..
I just took my 17 month old and he screamed the roof down so I think earlier is better

Hi there

My baby is almost 10 wks old and I was wondering when he is able to go to a swimming pool??

Is he still too little to go??

It depends on a couple of things.
My local pool won't let babies under 6 months swim.
If your bub has sensitive skin you probably would want to hold it off a bit because the chlorine in the water can irritate thier skin. I took DD at 4months in my dads pool because he doesn't put much chlorine in it and it is solar heated.
You have to make sure the water isn't to cold.
I personally think 10weeks is to young and would wait until about 4 months but it's what you feel comfortable with.
i took my ds from 10 weeks as we were on holidays at the coast. he loved it.
DS started swimming lessons just before he was 6mths but before then he didn't go in a normal pool. We took him to the beach and he sat on the sand, dipped his legs in the ocean at a few months old but not fully immersed. I think chlorine would be a little harsh on really little bubs myself, but im not sure if there is actual guidelines.

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

Most pools won't let kids go until 6 months old due to vaccinations..
I just took my 17 month old and he screamed the roof down so I think earlier is better

i think its more about head control then vaccinating.

I was told to wait until after the first lot of immunisations if going in a private family pool or 6months in a public pool.
Last summer instead of going into a pool we just filled up the bath for DS to splash in if it was super hot since he was still a newbie smile

how is going in a pool going to increase their risk of getting something. The same family members that are in the pool are going to be within close proximity outside the pool.

If you avoid the public pool before 6 months due to vaxs, then you should also avoid any situation where they are in close proximity to other people/public toilets/parent rooms/other kids toys eg. shopping centres, playgroups, childcare, parties, libraries etc.
Thanks everyone.
I think I may wait till he's at least 4 mths.
Hubby really wants us to go but I'm not comfy with it yet.
i would wait until about 6months as their skin is really absorbent and u dont want them to have an allergy or anything.
CCC pools will not enroll children in learn to swim classes until 6 months old, and recommend not taking them in the pool until 6 months.

its not recommended public pools before 6 months not due to vaccination but due to the warm water that everyones in being a marvellous place for bacteria to thrive, after 6 months you've given their immune system a chance to strengthen up
My daughter went to the beach and swimming pool for the first time when she was 10 several weeks old. Our pediatrician was much more engaged about her because the than the pool water. We only got her a little bit wet and then designed sure to wash her off when we got coming back to the house and she was fine.

Above Ground Swimming Pools
Sign in to follow this topic