Huggies Forum

Gluten free question... Lock Rss

So, I'm making some cakes for DH to take to work next week, and one of his colleagues eats Gluten free... GF is something I am not familiar with, so am after some advice...

Can I use my regular recipe and just substitute regular flour for GF flour?
Do you have a good easy recipe that I could use that won't require me buying a ton of ingredients I wouldn't normally use. DH wants cakes that don't need to be kept in the fridge.
If you have any other hints they would be greatly appreciated smile

I've just substituted normal flour for GF flour, but it does give the cake a different texture

Aka G&L smile

Ok, thanks. Will have to give it a try then smile was going to make melting moments, there should be no reason why they wouldn't work then would it?

Use a gf recipe and then you won't need extra stuff. Try this...... https://www.recipecommunity.com.au/recipes/magi...
It's a thermomix recipe but pretty easy if you have a decent food processor.
This is my go to 'cake' recipe.....keeps for days (not in fridge), IF it lasts that long. Wouldn't even know it is GF either. For me, substituting GF flour and/or baking mix for regular flour has had mixed results. You need to make sure if using baking powder and/or baking soda that it is GF as well.

http://sleepinghorse.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/d...

I get my brown rice flour for ^^^ recipe from the local organics shop...but you might be able to find it in supermarkets. Otherwise, you can look in the GF aisle at the supermarket for cakes/cake mixes..though they are dearer than normal cakes. In saying that, if it's a one off it might be cheaper than trying to source other ingredients.

Yea, am starting to think that's probably the best idea, the cake mix that is. Do you know if they taste any good? Will have a look-see what they have...

That cake looks delicious though! Might have to try it one day. Oh, and what's the difference between regular rice flour and brown rice flour? And if rice flour is GF, does that mean that shortbread biscuits are GF too?

I once made a gf packet cake mix for my sons birthday party as one of the kids was gf - it was great and better than the regular cake! It was a chocolate one.
Thanks Slacktarts, will do that I think. Hopefully he doesn't mind a packet cake, but I guess it's better than nothing! Last time I made macarons, but there is no way I have the time for that at the moment!

The Pumpkin and I wrote:
Thanks Slacktarts, will do that I think. Hopefully he doesn't mind a packet cake, but I guess it's better than nothing! Last time I made macarons, but there is no way I have the time for that at the moment!

I think a packet mix is totally fine - I think its great you're making anything really, you have a toddler and a new baby!
Slacktarts wrote:
I think a packet mix is totally fine - I think its great you're making anything really, you have a toddler and a new baby!

Haha, I don't have much of a choice, it's their busy time at work and next Friday is deadline day for all their work, and I have made them cakes for it every year since we got married. Apparently there will be uproar if there is no cake grin not that I mind, I like baking and it's fun making it for people who really appreciate it smile my only problem is that DDs birthday is next Tuesday so I have to make her a birthday cake too gasp will find time somewhere I hope!

Little Miss' wrote:
Also CSR soft icing mixture is gluten free. Coles have quite a few different packet cakes.

Oh, thanks for that. Didn't think of gluten in icing mixture! Will have to make sure I read the packets!

The Pumpkin and I wrote:
Yea, am starting to think that's probably the best idea, the cake mix that is. Do you know if they taste any good? Will have a look-see what they have...

That cake looks delicious though! Might have to try it one day. Oh, and what's the difference between regular rice flour and brown rice flour? And if rice flour is GF, does that mean that shortbread biscuits are GF too?

It rarely lasts more than a couple of days in our house. laugh

I'm not sure there is much difference between the brown and the white tbh..though have never tried to make the cake with 'regular' rice flour.

In theory yes, if they were made with rice flour they should be GF unless they have other ingredients in them that make them non GF. I've gotten really anal about reading labels as things you'd think were GF (like chocolate for example) aren't always! huh

The Macro wholefoods range is pretty good; the white cupcakes are pretty awesome for GF, in fact have made some today.

Sign in to follow this topic