Huggies Forum

The vacuuming dilemma Rss

So dd cries hysterically if I leave the room now. My house is small so can't do anything whilr she's asleep or it'll wake her. How do you keep your kids entertained while vacuuming ? She doesn't crawl or walk so can't just follow me around. She won't sit next to the vacuum or it freaks her out completely.

Mum Of 3 Cuties wrote:
I used to do it with DS1 on my hip all the way up until he started kindy at 3.5y. Makes for a good workout.

Or get your DH to take her for a walk and do it then.

Thats what I have been doing but it KILLS my back. DH won't carry around dd to do housework he thinks its too hard! I carry her around ALL day. DH works late most days and on weekends we never seem to get to it.
Was hoping you'd have some brilliant solution but maybe it doesn't exist!

My daughter used to be like that with attachment etc. Plus, she was terrified of the vacuum noise! I used to say to people that I couldn't vacuum and I think they thought I was exaggerating. My solution was to give up on it and stop upsetting her by trying, and then I would sweep instead. Now she is 5 and she vacuums for me!

Lol MO3C!
Hahaha damn! MO3C I can't afford the first 2 and at the moment I am doing number 3!. Wish DH would just vacuum for me.

Windmill wrote:
My daughter used to be like that with attachment etc. Plus, she was terrified of the vacuum noise! I used to say to people that I couldn't vacuum and I think they thought I was exaggerating. My solution was to give up on it and stop upsetting her by trying, and then I would sweep instead. Now she is 5 and she vacuums for me!

Lol MO3C!

Glad its not just me! All my friends with kids seem to vacuum daily!! They just pop their kids in a play pen and off they go. Their kids don't care when they leave the room so they cook dinner and do everything. I feel like a failure who achieves nothing. DH must think I'm the worst stay at home wife ever! The house is dirtier and I never cook!

Nai&BE wrote:
Do you have an ergo? Id chuck her in there. Dd went through a similar phase and i just vaccummed rarely lol when dp was home.

You know I do!! Totally forgot I had it since I haven't needed it since she was a few months old. Will do that tomorrow! !

+1 I just got on with it and did it as fast as possible then gave him cuddles. Floor had to get cleaned. He got over it smile

steph19 wrote:

Glad its not just me! All my friends with kids seem to vacuum daily!! They just pop their kids in a play pen and off they go. Their kids don't care when they leave the room so they cook dinner and do everything. I feel like a failure who achieves nothing. DH must think I'm the worst stay at home wife ever! The house is dirtier and I never cook!

Lol, I think you have a beautifully different child on your hands Steph smile

Not the same as your friends's situations I'll bet!

Try not to hold yourself up to the standards you have atm - your child needs more care, so that is why it is harder for you.

If you PM me, I could add you to a FB Group if you like? It's for mums of "sensitive" kids.
When dd was smaller I just used to start the vac before she went down for her sleep, just leave it running so she's used to the noise. Then once I had settled her I'd just vac the house, make sure you move away from her room as you go so that when you switch it off the sudden quiet doesn't disturb her.
I also made a lot of noise from the beginning. The vacuum used to put DS to sleep. He went through a stage not liking the noise but I pushed through because otherwise nothing would get done. Before he was crawling & walking I would put him in the high chair & wheel it so it was facing in the direction I was vacuuming. We had the ducted vacuum installed not that long ago so it is now much more quieter except for the play room which has the unit attached on the other side of the wall smile
steph19 wrote:
DH must think I'm the worst stay at home wife ever! The house is dirtier and I never cook!

This was me all over with my DS (first born)

In the end I just carried him on my hip or waited until the weekend and my husband would take hime ut for a walk while I vacuumed.

By the time he was older (2 yrs old) and DD1 came along, he could handle the noise, still ran away to his room, but thats ok too smile

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Can you turn the suction down? If I have mine set to the lowest suction its not very noisey. Doesn't deep clean but its better then standing on crumbs all day.

Otherwise does she like the shower? Ask dh to take her for a shower while you vacuum the noise will be masked.
Sign in to follow this topic