Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. I just can't get the layering right!!

I just can't get the layering right!! Lock Rss

For bubbas sleeping. I was up to him 5 times overnight. We are both cranky today!

At night I dress him in his pyjamas (long sleeve shirt and thin trackies) and then put his gro bag on him. I have a 1 tog bag and a 0.5 tog. The 1 tog is the warmest one that the gro company make, but to me doesn't seem very warm still.

The problem is that if I dress him warmly in preparation for the night getting colder, he'll wake up drenched in sweat an hour after I put him to bed and then cry an be difficult to settle. So I dress him lightly, then when I go to bed at 10 or so I go in and put a rug on him.

Well last night from 2 am onwards that rug just doesn't stay on and he wakes up cold. I am not awake enough to think that I should put more clothes on him, so I just keep putting the rug back on. An the other thing is that he's not really awake awake. He cries but his eyes are still shut and he doesn't require me to pick him up.. So I also don't want to cause world war 3 by disturbing him to put more clothes on him.

It's driving me batty!!! On the odd occasion that the night doesn't get so cold he sleeps through perfectly. Need summer to hurry up.

Any suggestions???

What about turning a column heater on low when you go into him later? I don't know about the gro bags as I just use a polar fleece sleeping bag for my DS2

He moves around so much there's just no keeping it on him. When I check him overnight he is sideways, upside down, on his back one time, then his tummy the next.

I had a heater last year for him when he was really little but it meant our power bill shot up to $900. I'm already dreading the power bill this quarter having used the dryer a bit with all the rain.

Oh maybe it's the 2.5 tog... I bought the coolest one for summer and the warmest one for winter. I can't check either because he's got it on at the moment! Yes I think it is the 2.5.

Was having a similar problem a while ago. I put a heater in DS room. It is a fan heater that turns on when it gets to a certain temp and turns off again after a min. So early in the night it doesnt go on often and in the early hours of the morning (2am-ish) it will turn on more. Problem solved and he doesnt wake up at night anymore.

Maybe I need to get a better heater. Benjamin's mummy do you find it makes much difference to your power bill? That and safety for bubba is my main concern.... I'm a bit paranoid about fires having heaters which is why I got the oil column heater but it costs so damn much to run it.

Sounds really frustrating! I dress my son in cotton singlet, long sleeve jammies (not flannelette just cotton) and he goes into 2.5 tog gro bag. We also have an oil heater with the thermostat set to 20 degrees so it only comes on when it drops below that. Seems to work well. It can be awkward this time of year!

I was nervous about the heater so we have a smoke alarm in his room too.

Mm looks like the heater might be the only answer.

I'm not sure if both gro bags will fit t, I will give it a try tonight though, anything that helps I'm keen! I just want some sleeeeep!

Thanks. I think I need to go look at these timer heaters or the ones that you can set a temperature. I will have a look today!!

chalys 'n' J wrote:
Maybe I need to get a better heater. Benjamin's mummy do you find it makes much difference to your power bill? That and safety for bubba is my main concern.... I'm a bit paranoid about fires having heaters which is why I got the oil column heater but it costs so damn much to run it.

I find it does put the power bill up a bit but not by much. We have an oil column heater in our bedroom and used it for a month and thw power bill went up $100 so we dont use it anymore. The fan heatee is alot brtter on power, maybe only $10 added to our power bill. And about saftey, i tested it in our room first for a few nights to see how it went cause didnt want to overheat DS. Found a perfect temp and i make sure not to face it directly towards his cot, usually pointed at the door which is closed to keep the heat in.

I use an oil heater in my DD's room but still keep her door open so there is a bit of fresh air circulating, although her room is quite small so it does stay a tad warmer even with the door open.

It may sound odd but be wary of the materials you are using in his clothes. I try to use only 100% cotton for the clothes DD wears to bed (not always possible, for some reason 100% cotton can be hard to find at times) but cotton allows the body to breath a bit more opposed to acrylic and polyester.
I know you're trying to keep him warmer but if he tends to sweat a little it may be worth a try using all cotton, then you might be able to get away with putting a few more layers on. Just a thought.

I have the opposite sometimes with DD who seems to be very warm blooded like her father and I find the cotton helps a lot.

Good luck smile
I ended up subscribing to the Save our Sleep emails and they tell you what to wear under the gro bags and how many layers depending on state and temp of a night. Since I adjusted my sons he has been sleeping 6-6 every night. Let me know if you want me to put up here what he should be in. I personally thought it was overkill blankie wise but wow it definitely works grin

Sign in to follow this topic