Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Hyphenating my childs name after I marry - do i need her fathers permission??

Hyphenating my childs name after I marry - do i need her fathers permission?? Rss

Hi parents, just wondering if anyone has any information on this??

Bit of background - was with my ex for 2 years but split early pregnancy and he moved to another state. Has seen DD twice in her almost 5 years of life. She has my surname but he is on the birth certificate as her father.

I am marrying in a few weeks and my name will be changing. I have asked DD's biological father permission to change her name aswell and he is flat out refusing...

Now because he is on the birth certificate and pays his child support I cannot change her name without his consent (despite him not being a part of her life whatsoever) so i'm curious to find out whether I can hyphenate it without his consent??

I hope that makes sense lol
I would think technically that would be classed as changing her name still, as you would have to apply for a new birth certificate etc for it be legally recognised as her name. And for that you would need her father to sign the paperwork.
I still think it would be classed as a name change so if you want it changed on the birth certificate you would have to get permission. However in regards to enrollment at school etc, depending on the school they may allow you to use a preferred name. I know people with foster children where the children are enrolled at school under their carer's surnames so they don't have all the other students asking them why they have a different surname to their parents.

Hmmm I thought this may be the case sad I will speak with the school tomorrow and hopefully have some luck. Thanks ladies
Have a look at or call birth, deaths and marriages they may have some solutions to situations like this. The others are correct when changing a name both parents need to sign when they are both present on the BC but under certain circumstances Ive seen them changed without the fathers permission.
Can I ask how you went were u able to do it without permission. I'm in a similar situation except my kids have the exes last name and I'm getting married in a couple of months. My kids haven't had contact with him for a year so yeh I hope there's a way .
Can I ask how you went were u able to do it without permission. I'm in a similar situation except my kids have the exes last name and I'm getting married in a couple of months. My kids haven't had contact with him for a year so yeh I hope there's a way .
Sign in to follow this topic