Huggies Forum

Solids for 4 1/2 mo baby ? Rss

Hi hippomum,

My little DD is 4 1/2 months to will be 5 months old on the 7th and for the last week she has been on solid food's. Like your boy she was ravenous and i just couldn't fill her up, plus she was getting very frustrated with her milk screwing up her face at it and screaming at me than shoving her fists in her mouth and sucking like there was no tomorrow. I relised that she wanted some solid food's so i introduced her to farax, she gobbled it down, i just made it really runny so she could just suck it of the spoon. If he dosn't take it of the spoon see if he'll suck it of your finger first i did with my DD.
I've also started cooking her apple and pureeing it and making it very runny as well and she just love's it.
She's had no side affects at all. Just stick to one or two food's at a time for a few weeks to note if he has anf reactions.
They suggest farax first because it is high in iron, plus you mix it with EBM.

I was a bit like you to, being a first time mum i was told not to start until DD was 6 month's old, but she was just to frustrated and wanted something else so i gave it to her. She has farax in the morning and than an icecube size of apple in the afternoon and depending if she's asking for it some more latter in the evening.

Hope this helps.
My DS was on solids from 9-10wks old cos he was always starving even after 3 times normal formula for his age every hr or so... The paed said to see if he would take to solid food and cut down the too much formula and he LOVED it. Was on 3 solid feeds plus his regular 4hrly bottle by 3.5mths! Very young but I had support of the paed and DS is still a big hungry boy now at 3 grin
My DD was a very hungry baby too and was drinking too much for the paed to like... and i started solids with her at 8wks (rice cereal at first of course) and she was on the 3 feeds plus usual 3-4hrly bottles by 4.5mths. She was easier to satisfy slowly with increases compared to DS who was always hungry and regularly needing more n more food and formula!
Mum and the paed both told me this - follow babies lead... U'll know if he's ready. By the amount he's drinking formula/breast milk wise and also if u try n offer him some food off ur finger his gag reflex should be gone if he's ready for food smile
If in doubt ask ur child health nurse or Dr! But I plan on following this bubs needs this time smile the norm is 6mths but really some babies are ready earlier and others are ready even later! X

They go through a growth spurt around 4ish mths so feeding more regularly is normal. If you stick with it and keep offering the breast as often as possible he will build up your supply so he's always getting enough. It will pass, and the six mth mark and the start of solids will be here soon enough smile
There is a fairly major growth spurt at around 4 months and it tends to last longer than the others. This on its own isn't an indication that they are ready for solids. You might find this link helpful:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starting-solids/s...

I agree with all PP,s but i would be looking for other signs your baby wants solids, chewing, sitting ok, interested in your food etc.. i started my ds at 5 months and there was defnitly a change between 4 and 5 months devlopmentally wise... smile
I had a roughly 2-3 hourly feeder from day dot..during the 4 month spurt that was down to about every hour round the clock..I nearly went mental. We pushed through it, partly because unlike with DS1 I had a better idea of what to expect.

Solids, in the amounts that they are started on, rarely if ever help 'stretch them out'..in fact it could have the opposite affect and you will have a baby with a sore tummy which might mean even less rest/sleep.
Do you rest/nap when the baby is napping? The one thing I found great about our big gap (well 4 years is big to some) was that when DS1 wasn't at home, that I could re-charge' because it was just me and the baby.

We can't tell you what to do, rephrase I don't think anyone should tell you what to do; all I can do is say that in my personal experiences with 2 children that solids did nothing to help me in the 'exhausted' stakes. It does pass, maybe not as soon as we want it to, but it does pass.

Sounds like a growth spurt to me and pretty normal. By introducing solids you are not actually helping rather hindering the boost of your milk suppy. Welcome to mother hood. its quite normal for a breast feed babies to do this. This is not an indication your baby needs solids. try and keep baby away as long as possible. kellymom is a good site to look to for help also
hippomum wrote:
Ruby Gloom - it's not so much that he needs more regular feeding - he has always been a 2 hourly feeder and that hasn't changed, and there's no problem with my supply, but I'm exhausted!!! I still intend to go on BFing as long as possible as I am committed to it, but Sausage is clearly wanting more, and short of giving up any other activity in my life and feeding him constantly, what should I do?

I wasn't suggesting there was anything wrong with your supply, just that when babies have a growth spurt it is their instinct to feed more regularly for longer periods of time so for a little while that's exactly what we need to do. As I said, it will pass smile
go with whatever makes your and baby's life easiest. many years ago they started solids at 12 weeks, then it was 8 months, then 6 months... it will change again at some point im sure.

extra note: when introducing new foods they suggest doing it before 2pm so if baby has an allergic reaction its during daylight hours.

good luck and just be happy!
go with whatever makes your and baby's life easiest. many years ago they started solids at 12 weeks, then it was 8 months, then 6 months... it will change again at some point im sure.

extra note: when introducing new foods they suggest doing it before 2pm so if baby has an allergic reaction its during daylight hours.

good luck and just be happy!
Sign in to follow this topic