Huggies Forum

Back on to benefits again Rss

Just because there has been so much talk about Australias proposal to reduce the amount of money spent out of the budget for beneficiaries I thought I would post NZ's proposal to do the same.

It is a completely different idea, but same result overall....reducing the amount of money being paid. I do not think that it is a good idea.

My link

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

I think it's good to have the option there for free. It's not my thing, frankly the idea of having that in me scares me - but I'm icky about that sort of thing lol.
What I didn't like was the nurses coming into my room within the hour after I'd given birth and trying to talk to me about contraception. It made me feel like they didn't think I should've just had my child!! I had DH throw all their pamphlets in the bin. I didn't need contraception, I'd just had a 9lb,6oz baby exit me and get stuck on the way, there was no way in HELL I was going to have sex for a looooong time hahaha.
I'm curious as to why you don't think its a good idea?

Just out of curiosity dansally, why do you not think it a good idea?! I work in a neonatal unit in a low socioeconomic area and the number of people we get who have children when they can't even support themselves is appalling! If it reduces the number of babies being born into poverty I don't see how that's such a bad thing?! If you are struggling so much you need benefits (as others have said a helping hand not a lifestyle choice) then you shouldnt really be bringing more children into that equation.

Using my ph and bathing 2 kids while typing so sorry if this isn't worded very well, I'm genuinely curious. smile

I think that in theory it is a good idea. Giving ladies the option to take control of their lives and make informed decisions etc.... but im not convinced that this is what will happen.

I have been a single mum on the benefit in NZ. I have sat in WINZ feeling powerless and useless because I have had the misfortune of having a case manager that thought that it was their personal mission in life to correct my ways and while doing this totally make me feel like a second class citizen.

When my child was 2 I was in tears at WINZ while a guy sat on the other side of the desk getting frustrated by the fact that I didn't want to find work while my baby was looked after my someone else. He didn't see me as an intelligent woman who had been put into a bad situation- I left my fiance because he became emotionally abusive after I had my DD- but another single mum. He treated me with contempt.

And if this comes in then these people- young males work in WINZ too- will be put in the position where they can pressure ladies to have this birth control method. The government say that ladies will not be pressured and will just have the option put forward but from my experience this is not what will happen. I think putting it out there that it is avalible is not so bad so a choice can be made, but putting a position of power like that in the hands of people who are not medical proffesionals is not okay. People in WINZ have very little training and have goals and incentives that they work towards.... I can just see a whole lot of ladies being put in situations that are not good.

And that aside because I am well aware that there are mums out there that take advantage of the system I also have my story that might not have been if this incentive had been in place when I was a single mum. I met my DH when I was on a benefit with my DD and I fell pregnant quite soon after meeting him and had our DD, followed my our DS 4 yrs later. I always saw her as the glue that held our relationship together. So for me getting pregnant got me off the benefit and helped me kick start life again. But that is just my story and does not affect my stance on this at all

What about free birth control for everyone, not just single parents, we don't qualify for a community service card so everything cost us, costs for condoms, the pill the injection , the snip ...... what about the working New Zealand...? Just saying...

Oh and i was a single parent also and have had to go sit in a meeting with winz too it sucks

What about free birth control for everyone, not just single parents, we don't qualify for a community service card so everything cost us, costs for condoms, the pill the injection , the snip ...... what about the working New Zealand...? Just saying...

This is what I'd like them to do, my home town in the wopwops (Te Awamutu lol)did free contraception for all the younguns' (under 25 I think) I had no idea you had to pay for it till I went to university, unless you go through family planning (which I and a lot of my friends don't because the consider us overweight and prefer us to go through our GPs) it gets really expensive. DH and I couldn't believe when I went on the depo how much it ended up costing (and we weren't even having sex so that was a rip off tongue ).
If you want long term contraception you get in a really sticky place if you don't have a lot of money, my GP recommended I go on the mirena and that was 300$ something dollars even with the govt subsidy (low iron) and I didn't want the cheaper ones as a friend of ours got pregnant on it twice. I was very lucky in the fact my doctor paid for it for me, otherwise I'd still be miserable on the depo or using condoms.
So yeah, back to my original point, safe sex is expensive especially if you want long term contraception. I think making long term contraception readily available for all women who would like it is a great idea, not just people on the benefit.

Perhaps they could get around the "power play" issue by sending eligible women a letter and info booklet rather than have WIND employees offer it?

And I do think its a bit disgusting that the women are the sole target. So basically its the womens job to keep their "legs closed" not the mens job to "keep it in his pants"? It really makes me sick that no one stopped this going public before ironing out the obvious sexism.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I think its a good idea BUT...as mentioned in the link, why are they also not offering it to men?? I dont like that they are implying its ALL the womens responsibility to look after birth control, how about condoms for the guys.

And, i think its a great idea but also they need to be educating women maybe on self esteem etc..? some of these women (not all) may be putting themselves in the position of accidentally getting pregnant as they dont value themselves, think thats the way to get a boyfriend/husband, get pressured/swayed easy to not use condoms as they dont have high self esteem or realise their worth. Also they could provide courses on what parenthood is REALLY all about, its not easy but people dont realise so they dont think unprotected sex through.

I'm not saying this about all women on benefits etc.. my mum was a single mum from word go and she was on the pension and we lived in housing commission so honestly, i have nothing but respect for the women that are single mums I'm just saying as with all hand outs (talking about the contraception here, not so much the money) - they should come with education.

ETA: oops! I just did it too - aimed all the education at the women gasp
they should also educate the guys too!!

Holly, there is U22 which is a scheme whereby doctors visits pertaining to sexual health and anything related (so contraception, pregnancy, smears etc) are free for under 22s. Should apply wherever you go (family planning OR GP etc) so you should be eligible for that?! Think you still have to pay for the script tho?!

Then my last 3 drs owe me big lol! I've been paying for my appointments for contraception since I 17, I feel seriously ripped off.
Wouldn't have helped for the mirena though it was the script that would've cost us then.

I think this is a great idea - but i would be concerned if the 'advice' was being offered out by WINZ employees instead of a qualified person - ie health professional!! I think how the subject is broached is really important. How offensive if you push a kid out (or c/sec), then winz is calling you telling you to get on the pill... it would need to be discussed prior to the birth, letting women know that option is available to them & giving them time to consider it. maybe a follow up letter post birth to remind them.

As for the whole sexism arguement & that it is only offered to women - i think that's OK too - however, it would be much better if it was offered to both sexes of course. Ultimately it is the womans body & she needs to look after it. If SHE doesnt want to get pregnant, then it is her responsibility to ensure that doesnt happen. Of course men need to take responsibility as well, i am not exluding them from that, but my body, my responsibility. it goes without saying that men shoudl be responsible enough to wear a condom EVERY time they have sex, otherwise they need to be prepared to be a daddy.

just like when i have a cold, i dont expect DH to administer my medicine or ensure that i dont get one, it's up to me to look after myself.

Yeah the script is a lot! sad hence why I haven't done it yet. Lol.

Yeah we got so lucky taht my dr was willing to pay for mine, when I got my toe done she worked overtime for me to get that done too, we only had to pay half of what it would normally cost. I guess they make a fair bit of money off us from the govt. from DS being so sick all the time...

I think this is a great idea - but i would be concerned if the 'advice' was being offered out by WINZ employees instead of a qualified person - ie health professional!! I think how the subject is broached is really important. How offensive if you push a kid out (or c/sec), then winz is calling you telling you to get on the pill... it would need to be discussed prior to the birth, letting women know that option is available to them & giving them time to consider it. maybe a follow up letter post birth to remind them.

As for the whole sexism arguement & that it is only offered to women - i think that's OK too - however, it would be much better if it was offered to both sexes of course. Ultimately it is the womans body & she needs to look after it. If SHE doesnt want to get pregnant, then it is her responsibility to ensure that doesnt happen. Of course men need to take responsibility as well, i am not exluding them from that, but my body, my responsibility. it goes without saying that men shoudl be responsible enough to wear a condom EVERY time they have sex, otherwise they need to be prepared to be a daddy.

just like when i have a cold, i dont expect DH to administer my medicine or ensure that i dont get one, it's up to me to look after myself.

My biggest concern with this is that it is WINZ employees that will be promoting the incentive. They do not have the training to handle such a sensitive subject, and should not be put in that position

Sign in to follow this topic