Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Catholic Primary school interview

Catholic Primary school interview Rss

Hi everyone,
My SIL has enrolled her DD at a catholic primary school and she has an interview next month but has no idea what happens
can anyone please help with the following
- what questions will they ask the parents?
- what questions will they ask the child?
- will they talk about god to the child?
she is enrolling in prep

tahnks everyone smile
Hi I've enrolled DD1 in a catholic school next year. She will be starting prep.
1st of all is your SIL catholic?
Has her DD been baptised catholic and do they belong to that parish?
If the answers are yes then she has a good chance of getting accepted.

Is the interview with the principal or priest?

We went for an interview with the principal and he gave us a tour of the school. We are catholics and DD1 is baptised and we belong to the parish. We gave him the completed enrollment form as well as copies of her birth, baptism and immunisation certificates.

We will have another interview with the priest sometime in June. We go to church regularly and the priest knows us, so we are not worried.

We will then find out if she's been accepted.

The principal pretty much told us there's no reason why she shouldn't get accepted.

Hope this has helped

thanks - yes she is catholic and has met the principal and done all the entrolment form - but she isn;t sure whether at the meeting with the priest what they ask the child/parents as they have just moved to the area and aren't familiar with the parish - like do they ask religion questions, literacy questions etc of the child?
so if you can shed any light on the questions would be appreciated
thanks again
we had an interview at a local catholic primary the year before ds1 was to start.The interview with the principal was good.I forget what they asked us but they got ds to count ( he counted to 100 lol and would have kept going) and to name colours.The parish priest rang, concerned ds had not had a " proper" baptism and he wanted us to jump through too many hoops so we did not bother.The most annoying thing was that other friends with non baptised kids got in with no questions asked.So, if you are catholic you should be ok and get in easily.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi! I remember being really nervous about our interview and there was really no need at all - remember you are also interviewing them and working out if you want to go there!

The interview with the priest was really only a few questions and a chat - are we catholic and if so has our child be baptised? Would we want to continue with the sacramental program (ie confirmation etc) or allow our child to participate in RE lessons (some children dont). He asked if we were active church goers, we truthfully said no but we would encourage any programs/ masses that were part of the school. That was really it.

The interview with the principal was really relaxed too and general questions - where did our son go to kindy? Siblings for future enrolment? Did he have any particular strengths weeknesses we want to focus on developing? Are there any children we want him to be in the same class with? Did we have any concerns with the info in the school booklet?

Our son did literacy/numeracy testing the first week of term with the teacher, he also did a speech assessment with the school pathologist to determine if he needed any support.

My sister sent her son to a more expensive, exclusive private catholic school. She was was also asked about her and hubby's occupation and if they could "contribute" to the school community in anyway (she took it to mean supply the school with services to do with their profession as well as on working bees etc). She felt like the status of her job was important in the interview, but this was not the case at mine, but we go to the local catholic school not an exclusive expensive one.
Hi! I remember being really nervous about our interview and there was really no need at all - remember you are also interviewing them and working out if you want to go there!

The interview with the priest was really only a few questions and a chat - are we catholic and if so has our child be baptised? Would we want to continue with the sacramental program (ie confirmation etc) or allow our child to participate in RE lessons (some children dont). He asked if we were active church goers, we truthfully said no but we would encourage any programs/ masses that were part of the school. That was really it.

The interview with the principal was really relaxed too and general questions - where did our son go to kindy? Siblings for future enrolment? Did he have any particular strengths weeknesses we want to focus on developing? Are there any children we want him to be in the same class with? Did we have any concerns with the info in the school booklet?

Our son did literacy/numeracy testing the first week of term with the teacher, he also did a speech assessment with the school pathologist to determine if he needed any support.

My sister sent her son to a more expensive, exclusive private catholic school. She was was also asked about her and hubby's occupation and if they could "contribute" to the school community in anyway (she took it to mean supply the school with services to do with their profession as well as on working bees etc). She felt like the status of her job was important in the interview, but this was not the case at mine, but we go to the local catholic school not an exclusive expensive one.
My DD is in kindy (prep) this year and we only had an interview with the principal. He asked things like "Why do you want to send your daughter here and what do you hope to achieve by sending her to this school." Nothing really major!

The questions regarding what religion, if she was baptised etc. were on the application form however he did not ask us.

It was not asked but DF did bring up the fact that he is Catholic and I am Anglican but the principals reply was a joking wisper to me that "That's o.k. we really don't care!"(That i'm not Catholic) and he knew that DD is not baptised.

He gave DD a picture which had shapes and other things on it and some pencils and made it out that he had done here a favour by finding them for her to keep her occupied, so she didn't feel any pressure at all! After he had finished talking with us he told her how beautiful it was and asked her to name some of the shapes and colours and asked her to write her name on the top. He also put five pencils on the table and asked her to count them and then said if I put two more, how many are there now!

In the actual interview he told us that she had already ben accepted and that he would send the other forms and info. out to us!

Hope some of that helps!

BTW Catholic kids in their area get first preference, then Catholic kids outside the area but only those who are unable to get a position in their local area, then other christian within the area etc...but they will even accept non christians as long as they are willing to respect the Catholic values!

Hi, to help your child sound eloquent and erudite, you need to prepare with the atozteacherstuff questions and answers. In primary school, kids are not prepared to talk using the canonical communication style. Try to write down several lines with answers and like me try to do my homework for me with axiomatic Catholic aspects.
Sign in to follow this topic