Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Split classes at school ie 1/2, 4/5

Split classes at school ie 1/2, 4/5 Rss

Im looking into which school to send my daughter in 2013. I noticed the school I have picked seems to have a lot of split years (I think that is how you would describe it, both yr 1 and 2 with same teacher). I am just wondering whether their is any disadvaantages to this or is their advantages. The school is a small country school with a lot of history which is what attracted me to it. Their is private schools around which are larger and have more resources and bigger public schools but I think the country charm attracted me to this one.

Could any of you mums who have school age kids please enlighten me to what to expect and your personal experiences.

Thankyou guys
Hi, my son goes to a school where all the classes except for kindy are composite classes. He is in year 3 and his class is 3/4. Next year he will be in 3/4 again as he will be in 4th year.
I find that he already gets bored as he is quite quick with learning. So i spoke to his teacher and he gets extra work in class and extra homework.
The class do separate things alot and their homework is different.
Apart from those things i find it ok.
Composite, of course. Thanks Chloe.

I was just reading info on the primary school ratings site and this school didnt do as good as other schools in the area but is that just because they dont have as many students (135 compared to 500)

Composite, of course. Thanks Chloe.

I was just reading info on the primary school ratings site and this school didnt do as good as other schools in the area but is that just because they dont have as many students (135 compared to 500)

I would not read to much into those figures.
My sons school is quite small compared to some others near us. Around 300.
But my son and the school did excellent in the Naplan test.
Just go with what you feel is best for your child. I could of picked 2 other schools that were higher rated in lots of areas but i liked the smaller school and its teachers.
my kids have always been in composite classes, the school this year has k/1, 2/3 and 4/5/6.The school has 60 something kids.
This year however, is the 1st year that ds1 is in a straight year 5 class only because he changed schools to attend an academically selective class .From our experience it's been great for the kids to be able to be accelerated with the next years work.This does have a downside for the brighter kids as they might be doing the work earlier and they can get bored easily with a lot of revision.I know someone who changed schools because she did not like the fact that her son in yr4 was getting the same research topics for homework as the her son who was in y6 in the same class.That research type homework has now stopped and all grades get homework for their grade except the brighter kids who get extension homework.
The other school that ds1 attends has all composite classes except kindy and the yr 5 and yr6 selective classes.

Sorry if this does not make much sense .I seem to think quicker than I can type.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

my kids have always been in composite classes, the school this year has k/1, 2/3 and 4/5/6.
This year however, is the 1st year that ds1 is in a straight year 5 class only because he changed schools to attend an academically selective class .From our experience it's been great for the kids to be able to be accelerated with the next years work.This does have a downside for the brighter kids as they might be doing the work earlier and they can get bored easily with a lot of revision.I know someone who changed schools because she did not like the fact that her son in yr4 was getting the same research topics for homework as the her son who was in y6 in the same class.That research type homework has now stopped and all grades get homework for their grade except the brighter kids who get extension homework.
Sorry if this does not make much sense .I seem to think quicker than I can type.

No that is very helpful thankyou. I dont have much experience in this. I just want my kids to get a good education.
I also know someone who pulled her kids out of a catholic school because her son in kindy was overwhelmed and falling behind due to the fact they all do this 'team teaching' thing with 90 kindy kids, 2-3 teachers + teachers aide.A composite class would be better than the above example.Best of luck but I think you will find that the small school is just as good if not better than any bigger ones.
are you in nsw?

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

I am currently a Y2 teacher. I have taught both composite and single-year-level classes. There are advantages and disadvantages of boths.

First up, what you need to understand is that there is no "set curriculum" like what we had when we went to school. (Like you need to learn this topic/reading thing to be able to pass) Each child is taught at their own level, no matter what class they are in. Your child would have a reading group and a maths group (after being tested by the teacher and grouped accordingly) and work at that level. Within that group, there may be Year 1 children and Year 2 children, but they are working at the same level. At my school we also group the children for phonics and writing as well. It wouldn't matter if your child was in a Year 1 class or a Year 6 class, they would reading at the right level for that individual child.

The topics for research might be the same (even for the whole school) but there would be different expectations for children of different year levels.

The good thing about composite classes is that the children who are more capable can work with the older cildren, and the ones who are struggling to grasp concepts in maths/reading/whatever have people to work with in their group from the younger year level, without feeling bad about themself. Also younger children pick up maturity from their older classmates.

Saying that, I am personally not a big fan of composite classes, as the next year, when a struggler who has been in a Y1&2 class moved up to a Y3&4 class, it's really hard on them to see how much more advanced the kids in the new class are. It can be a bit of a false impression being in a compsite class.

Hope that made some sort of sense??

I also know someone who pulled her kids out of a catholic school because her son in kindy was overwhelmed and falling behind due to the fact they all do this 'team teaching' thing with 90 kindy kids, 2-3 teachers + teachers aide.A composite class would be better than the above example.Best of luck but I think you will find that the small school is just as good if not better than any bigger ones.
are you in nsw?

No, im in QLD. But I went to school in NSW so everything is different here. Im glad they introduced prep here, equivalent to kindergarten. Kindergarten here is equivalent to preschool, aaahhh. Why cant it all be the same. Im not looking forward to them being in year 12 because I did the HSC, I have no idea what they do here.

I am currently a Y2 teacher. I have taught both composite and single-year-level classes. There are advantages and disadvantages of boths.

First up, what you need to understand is that there is no "set curriculum" like what we had when we went to school. (Like you need to learn this topic/reading thing to be able to pass) Each child is taught at their own level, no matter what class they are in. Your child would have a reading group and a maths group (after being tested by the teacher and grouped accordingly) and work at that level. Within that group, there may be Year 1 children and Year 2 children, but they are working at the same level. At my school we also group the children for phonics and writing as well. It wouldn't matter if your child was in a Year 1 class or a Year 6 class, they would reading at the right level for that individual child.

The topics for research might be the same (even for the whole school) but there would be different expectations for children of different year levels.

The good thing about composite classes is that the children who are more capable can work with the older cildren, and the ones who are struggling to grasp concepts in maths/reading/whatever have people to work with in their group from the younger year level, without feeling bad about themself. Also younger children pick up maturity from their older classmates.

Saying that, I am personally not a big fan of composite classes, as the next year, when a struggler who has been in a Y1&2 class moved up to a Y3&4 class, it's really hard on them to see how much more advanced the kids in the new class are. It can be a bit of a false impression being in a compsite class.

Hope that made some sort of sense??

It does thankyou. I guess I just got to go with the flow and monitor the situation as they progress through the years.

Im looking into which school to send my daughter in 2013. I noticed the school I have picked seems to have a lot of split years (I think that is how you would describe it, both yr 1 and 2 with same teacher). I am just wondering whether their is any disadvaantages to this or is their advantages. The school is a small country school with a lot of history which is what attracted me to it. Their is private schools around which are larger and have more resources and bigger public schools but I think the country charm attracted me to this one.

Could any of you mums who have school age kids please enlighten me to what to expect and your personal experiences.

Thankyou guys

In general, unless due to low numbers (which maybe it is if this is a small school) kids who need extension will be the younger ones put in to a split class, and those who may be struggling will be in the older age bracket. So a split class is supposed to be better for all of those who get the chance to be in it. I think it is brilliant for those who find their own year level easy, but am not sure it is so good for the ones who then find the younger kids bettering them, or who them have to go back to a normal class at a fast pace the next year. I would not consent to my children being the older ones in a split class but I would gladly allow them to be in the younger year level if given the chance.
Our school has around 27 students, and two classes - prep/1/2 and 3/4/5/6. I have found it to work very well so far. My daughters are both in the younger class - one is a prep, and one is in grade 2. I like that they can work at their own pace, and I also like how they are encouraged to interact with each other. I don't believe my older daughter is being held back at all by being in a class with younger students. I think she is gaining some maturity and I find she gets the appropriate level of schoolwork most of the time.

kerrie, VIC, DD 12/8/03, DD 12/10/05, DD 14/9/07, DD 4/1/10

Sign in to follow this topic