Huggies Forum

Will you let them? Lock Rss

I was encouraged as a child and did work part time for woolies from the age of 14. I loved it and it gave me some money to buy things i wanted.
I have told my kids this is what i would like them to do. And they keep asking me when can i start mum?
Do you agree with letting your kids work at that age or not?
I personally think it teaches them a lot.
I learnt to save money, learnt how much things cost and how hard you have to work to earn your dollars.

Opinions?
Most definately! The earlier they start the better, especially if they are ready. It also teaches them the value of $$ and feel independant with their earnings. Hope that makes sense...still morning laugh
I think letting teenagers get a job is great to show them that they have to work to earn money to get what they want.
My Dad told me to get a job or do more things around the house and i chose to help around the house. He said things in life aren't free so these are you choices.
I wait and see how my kids are when they teenagers to see if they handle the comment of having a job because i don't want them to get a job and not want to work.

Yep i certainly will be encouraging mine to get a casual/PT job as a teenager. I too started with woolies at 15 and it gave me independance, respect for money and a great work ethic =)
I did not work as a teen but will be encouraging my boys to.Too bad they stopped child labour lol or they'd be earning their keep already laugh

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Yes, I'd let them, with some reservations/restrictions.

I am in NZ and you would have to be at least 15, not 14, for the likes of Woolies to hire you, but I probably would feel that 14 would be too young and 15 would be better.

I would set down ground rules about how many hours per week could be worked and on what days, to ensure that homework and other commitments (e.g. sports) weren't neglected. However, I'd let them work as many hours as they wanted over the Christmas/summer holidays.

I would also discuss with them what their wages are to be spent on. It's obviously their money, but you might still need to have "rules". For example, maybe you've always told your child that they can't have a piercing until they're 18 - but what would you do if they said "but I can pay for it myself now!" Also, do you currently provide an allowance or pocket money, or do you pay for lunches, or do you buy clothes, and if so do you envisage that this would stop when they start earning? If so, then you need to be clear about this from the start.

Aside from that, I absolutely agree that working can be beneficial. If they're dealing with the public then they'll develop communication skills and so on that they wouldn't learn from school, and they'll make friends with their co-workers who they wouldn't have met otherwise. They'll learn about responsibility, both for financial matters and also for the simple fact of having to show up at a designated task and carry out specific duties.
I also worked for woolies when I was 14 and I loved it so I will definitely be encouraging my boys to work part time when they are old enough. I think it's important for kids to learn the value of money and how to budget and save.

I'd let my daughter get a job but only if it doesn't interfere with school.

I won't agree to her working everyday after school and on the weekends thats for sure. I want her to experience what it is like to have to work to earn something but I would still give her money - of course for the necessities and also for some of the wants. Some things though, she'd have to save for.

My parents did this with me - I worked Sundays at a bakery when I was in 10th grade, but at the time that would only equate to like $50 for the day... I'd have to work LOTS of hours to have bought anything I wanted or saved for a really long time.. so it was more for the experience than anything. My parents were more concerned with me having the time I needed to succeed with my studies. I was a good girl though.. I actually did spend time studying over the weekends and week nights lol.. so my school work would have suffered had I wanted to work instead.
I will definitely be encouraging it! I have been earning my own money for as long as a can remember. I started delivering papers with my parents help when I was 7-8 (just had to be the same as my big sister so started it younger then normal!), I got my first proper part time job (although got paid under the table) doing small jobs in a pharmacy just before turning 13 (i knew the owner so got the b younger then the age they would normally hire) then moved on to my first legal job working after school at a movie theatre when I had just turned 15. Loved having my own money and the second I started earning it mysel I became much more aware of my spending. I wasnt about to go waste my hard earned money on something if I wasn't sure I wanted it!
Yeah definelty, get them to find somewhere close to home to begin with so you have more peace of mind that your nearby.
i starting working that Mcdonalds at 15 it was a good learning curve made me more responible about money got me though uni and help me buy my first house at 22 i will defindently be encourging my daughter to get a causal job at 15 as long as it doesn't affect her school and sports commients. smile
definately i think a casual job after school or W/Ends is fantastic for teens. i got my first real 'job' at 15 (in NSW the law is 14 and 9months) in a newsagency, i loved having my own little bit of $$ but my mum had stick rules about me 'wasting' it, of corse i was alowed to spend it if i wanted but within reason (ie NO i couldnt pay for my own belly ring lol) def a good real world way to teach teens responsability, respect for bosses and rules etc and for money. the only downfall for parents is running around picking up/dropping off to work but well worth the effort IMO smile
Sign in to follow this topic