Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Do you think pitbulls should be allowed?

Do you think pitbulls should be allowed? Lock Rss

After hearing about that poor little girl who was killed by her families pitbull I think that they should be outlawed as they are one of those breeds that it doesnt matter how well you train them it is in the genetics to attack.
I do know other breeds can be just as dangerous and believe people who dont train the dogs are the ones at fault.

Just thought I would mention it was the neighbours dog not the families own dog.

I agree! These type of dogs are bread for a reason... To harm and kill. I think no amount of training will stop the natural instinct to maul. And it's a certain type of person that has these dogs, mainly because they are "tough". I know I may cop some grief over that statement.
I cannot comprehend what distress the family is going though now.
These type of dogs need to be destroyed. This poor family have lost their little girl and her cousins tried to save her & they be feeling so guilty for not saving her.
Doesn't matter if they had training once the dog bitten someone they will do it again.
My thoughts & prayers go out to the family.

no i dont think pitbulls should be banned. ecery dog has the instinct to attack - every dog!

there are heaps of these dogs out there, i personallyknow 3 ppl with them, and the number of attacks is a small percentage.

i do believe however, that a temperment assessment should be done - but this goes for any dog.

if i was to ban 2 types of dogs for aggression, it would be poodles and chihuahua'a - especially chihuahua's - they are always snapping at ppl and biting people.

Although I think the 4 year olds death is so sad, and preventable, and it just breaks your heart to hear of things like that - not all pitbulls are responsible, so why should they all be held accountable? destroy that one dog. the one who attacked.

for those who say they should be banned - what do you think should happen to them? a "pitbull park" where they all live together out of the public area with electric fence around them? or should we make them extinct and just desex all the ones in the park and wit for them to die one by one till there is no more?

I'm afraid I don't know the full story, such as was the girl being supervised? She may have been, but often this kind of thing happens when kids are left to play alone with dogs. And I believe any dog is capable of biting if they are provoked. Wouldn't you be cranky if someone poked you in the eye, or pulled your tail, etc?

I'm afraid I don't know the full story, such as was the girl being supervised? She may have been, but often this kind of thing happens when kids are left to play alone with dogs. And I believe any dog is capable of biting if they are provoked. Wouldn't you be cranky if someone poked you in the eye, or pulled your tail, etc?

it was a neighbour's dog that got out and into the lil girls backyard. her 30 year old copusin was also attacked, so i presume she was supervised. either way, she was in her own backyard not playing with the dog, so it probably wasnt provoked by the lil girl.

I understand that any dog could attack but Pitbulls have it in their DNA to be like this no matter how much training they have. My ex used to have them and I never went near them as even though they were trained I just didnt trust them.

no i dont agree that they should be banned, we owned one a few years back and honestly it was the most placid dog we have ever owned, i think its the way these dogs are brought up and blame owners for the dogs temperment(sp?) , it is so so sad what happened to the little girl and truly feel for the family but it couod of been any breed of dog it just happened to be a pitbull and once someone heres "pitbull" they assume its a savage dog and should all be destroyed.
a good friend of ours owned a doberman, and it savagely attacked its owner, to the point where his arm was hanging off, and for no apparent reason, he was walking to fill the horses water troff and ythe dog was walking beside him and the dog started to lick his hand and when he moved his hand away the dog just started going for him...and he had this dog for 5 yrs....in saying that, all dogs can attack and can be very dangerous not just pitbulls.

I agree! These type of dogs are bread for a reason... To harm and kill. I think no amount of training will stop the natural instinct to maul. And it's a certain type of person that has these dogs, mainly because they are "tough". I know I may cop some grief over that statement.
I cannot comprehend what distress the family is going though now.

im not going to give you grief over it your entitled to your opinion but i personally know a couple of ppl with pit bull crosses and both the dogs AND the owners are lovely and not "tough" as you put it. i myself have grown up with several breeds often labeled as 'dangerous' such a rotweilers, staffies and blue healers. to make such a generalisation is not only ill-informed its actually offensive.

no i dont think pitbulls should be banned. ecery dog has the instinct to attack - every dog!

there are heaps of these dogs out there, i personallyknow 3 ppl with them, and the number of attacks is a small percentage.

i do believe however, that a temperment assessment should be done - but this goes for any dog.

if i was to ban 2 types of dogs for aggression, it would be poodles and chihuahua'a - especially chihuahua's - they are always snapping at ppl and biting people.

Although I think the 4 year olds death is so sad, and preventable, and it just breaks your heart to hear of things like that - not all pitbulls are responsible, so why should they all be held accountable? destroy that one dog. the one who attacked.

this i completely agree with, and owners should be held ALOT more accountable for their animals actions.. a potential 2yr sentance and $55,000 fine are not enough esp in a case as tragic as this sad more needs to be done to make sure owners train and treat their dogs properly and take better responsibility about the containment of the animal. and that goes for any breed. ive been bitten unprovoked by more little 'toy' dogs then i can count only difference is they dont do as much damage as a large dog.
as much as i love animals if a dog attacks a person esp if it results in serious injury or death it must be destroyed, but the owner is ultimately responsible so make them pay too. dont punish all others because of the mistake of one... thats simply not fair.
NO!

I'll go to extremes here to explain my oppinion...

If a black person kills someone unprovoked, does that make ALL black people vicous and unpredictable? -NO

Also, as one other person mentioned, if you outlaw one breed of dog what do you do with the breed? Kill them all? Put them all in an enclosure? What about cross breeds?

Also, it's not just a certain type of person who owns pitbulls, what a silly thing to say. It's like saying only little old ladies own small white fluffy dogs. It's a vast generalisation.

I felt sick when I heard this story, as a mother my heart broke for the family. The report I saw said the animal had all ready been 'destroyed'.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I know everyone has a right to there own oppionion, so don't get me wrong.

But i'm sick of hearing about people wanting "these" dogs destroyed, banned etc.

Yes, Pitbulls are one of the most favourable fighting dogs because of there strength, build etc. But it doesn't mean that it's in there DNA, it is the way they are raised. You can have a poodle that will attack people. It is not the DOG it is the OWNER!!

Pitbulls, need to be played with they aren't a dog to be chucked in the yard and forgotten about. They are fantastic dogs, and very gentle when trained RIGHT....

It really frustrates me this topic. Because people always blame the animal, how about the owners? you wouldn't blame a child for causing damage to something without saying something bad about there up bringing. WELL SAME BLOODY THING!!

People who own or have owned this breed will understand what im talking about. but others who won't give these dogs a chance will think im being insensitive. Yet there are daily dog attacks and i would like to see how many of these dogs are actually Pitbulls.

Putting all Pitbulls to sleep and banning them, isn't going to help. Maybe a stronger enforcement of puppy/dog classes and supervision on these dogs would be better because no matter what these dogs are great companions and people are going to keep them no matter the consequences. I personally have a Australian Silky Terrier and an American Staffordshire Terrior. My Silky is more aggressive then my amstaf but i bet that if somthing was to happen and people were to put the finger to my house then my staffy would be taken over my silky and this type of converstaion/statements whatever people want to call it is the reason why. Everyone is so quick to judge and lay blame on the dogs, but seriously just like everyone of us are different it's the same with dogs being different! no 2 dogs are the same....

If people knew how to look after and train these dogs there wouldn't be a problem. Maybe something needs to be done like licences etc for these dogs, because not all owners train there dogs correctly and its mucks it up for the rest of us that will put the time and effort into it.

Forever in our hearts....

Sign in to follow this topic