Huggies Forum

Nanny/in home care Rss

I finish my Uni degree in 10 weeks (yay!!) and will be going to work as soon as I can. I will be an RN, and most likely doing shift work, so DH and I are looking into having a nanny for our girls to make things a little easier. At the moment DD1 is at primary school but has to go to before and after school care, and DD2 is at day care, with a total cost of around $100 per day.
So my first question is, would $100 per day be enough to pay someone to look after them (from 7.30 am till 4pm) or (1pm till 5pm)... and second, if the carer was qualified in child care, would we be able to claim CCR?

I finish my Uni degree in 10 weeks (yay!!) and will be going to work as soon as I can. I will be an RN, and most likely doing shift work, so DH and I are looking into having a nanny for our girls to make things a little easier. At the moment DD1 is at primary school but has to go to before and after school care, and DD2 is at day care, with a total cost of around $100 per day.
So my first question is, would $100 per day be enough to pay someone to look after them (from 7.30 am till 4pm) or (1pm till 5pm)... and second, if the carer was qualified in child care, would we be able to claim CCR?

I'm not sure about the cost - maybe you could ring a few agencies and see what they charge, also they could tell you about the CCR - as far as I know your children have to be attending a care facility (home day care or a childcare centre) that is approved by or registered with the government, in order to claim it... details are on the Family Assistance website.
congrats on finishing the degree!! hard yards with youngens.

A child care provider needs to be registered with DOCs etc for you to be able to claim any benefits from them.

Personally i dont think that $500 before tax is enough per week to nanny 2 children, but i dont know anything about their pay rates.

Family Day Care can actually provide nannies - which you will be able to claim CCR & CCB on. There is a special programme out there - sorry cant remember the name - for parents that cannot find suitable care for their kids due to working shift work & it is run thro the family day care people. Maybe give them a call & see what they say.
Thanks for the replies. I might have to give centrelink a call when I get a chance and see what they say smile
It is possible to get the CCR if you have a nanny at home, but you have to satisfy certain conditions and the nanny has to be accredited (or something) and your house has to be inspected to satisfy that you have the appropriate security etc. As Chilliwoman has mentioned this is available for people who work outside the hours a usual daycare centre are open, so being a shift worker would certainly help! Also, if you had 3 under school age then you also able to access the CCR rebate if you have the right type of nanny at home (obviously this doesn't apply to apply in your case).

In Qld, Wesley Mission helps with these type of things, I believe as I have a friend and family member who go through them. Possibly in other states of Australia or in NZ have places similar that assist with this.

I think cost is usually from about $17-$30 an hour for a nanny at home, depending on how qualified they are.

Nanny care cost approx $15/$18 per hour. Homebased care is $5/$6 per hour per child. Homebased may offer a discount for two children full time this would be negotiable with you and the Homebased Educator (who is a self employed contractor). I work with PORSE as homebased in Cambridge.
Hi 3xPink! I think 100$ are enough if you're hiring strangers, all the more teenager. Although I wouldn't recommend that. If babysitters are not professionals and don't have many experiences in the field, there are higher chances for him/her to create problems. When I and my wife had to go to a party and leave our daughter home, we contacted a home care services company that sent us a nanny for that night. Of course, we were cautious and a little bit skeptical about leaving a stranger in our house with our daughter. But it turned out to be a pretty lady, which has read to our daughter until she fell asleep.
Sign in to follow this topic