Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Your experience with oil heaters...

Your experience with oil heaters... Lock Rss

Hi all,

As above, just curious to see what others think about oil heaters and how much heat they put out as to whether they are worth it etc.

I have never used one and the house we are currently living in only has a reverse cycle split system which i used twice (?) maybe three times during summer for brief periods of time however i have refused to use it the last few weeks despite the weather becoming increasingly FREEZING as i know they are money pits when used for heating and i just can't afford it!

A friend has given me an oil heater to use if i need it but i am also unsure about the cost of running etc and whether it is worth it. My main problem is when i am up writing Uni assignments out in the lounge of an evening or early morning.

My boys have flannie sheets, pj's, thick blankets and quilts on their beds so they are warm enough and i have warm pj's, blanket and quilt, wheat bag etc so it's not so bad once we are in bed it's just the before.

Any advice etc is appreciated TIA smile

We have two. One is probably about 8yrs old and we have it in the bedroom. It is really good we put it on about 15 mins before bed and by the time we get into bed it's nice and warm.our aircon is also a heater but it dehyrdrates us really bad so we tend not to use it. The other one I only brought last week put it in the lounge and it doesn't really do much. It works but the area we use it in is to big to heat so only about a sqaure metre is warm!!! So it really depends how big the area is you need to heat. If we didn't shut the door in the bedroom it probably wouldn't work that well either. as for the cost if you had it runny on a few hours a day it wouldn't be to bad but if you had it on 24/7 it is a bit expensive hope that helps smile

I love them put out a good amount of heat and very good to dry clothes on in winter or heat them up before you wear them. There good for warming rooms but if on alot will cost you i had a huge electricity bill last winter as DS was a newborn and our unit got so cold so we had it on 24/7.
Thanks so much for the feedback ladies smile i've given in and put it on tongue it won't be used a lot so fingers crossed there are no million dollar electricity bills lol.

Thanks again smile

We had 2 last winter and the electricity bill went through the roof, the power company said they are the most expensive form of heating you can use, more expensive than the AC

Maybe give your electricity company a call and see what they suggest. If your looking for something to be used very minimally and basicly to warm just you not really the whole room you might find a small fan heater most efficient.

We had 2 last winter and the electricity bill went through the roof, the power company said they are the most expensive form of heating you can use, more expensive than the AC

Oh man, really?! Hmmppphhhhh might have to switch it off and just continue as i have been. Thanks for the feedback smile

Maybe give your electricity company a call and see what they suggest. If your looking for something to be used very minimally and basicly to warm just you not really the whole room you might find a small fan heater most efficient.

Thanks Ness, might be worth a call i think smile

We have split systems in our house and find that they really dont add that much extra onto our power bill, maybe $50 which i think is next to nothing. We have the kids going all night and the one in the main living area on at in the afternoon until we go to bed and then it is set to come on at 5am and we turn it off around 7 when we leave for work. I found they are a really cost effective way of heating. We had an oil heater in our last house and found they chewed a fair bit of electricity. It was quite old not sure if that made a difference though.

Hi all,

As above, just curious to see what others think about oil heaters and how much heat they put out as to whether they are worth it etc.

I have never used one and the house we are currently living in only has a reverse cycle split system which i used twice (?) maybe three times during summer for brief periods of time however i have refused to use it the last few weeks despite the weather becoming increasingly FREEZING as i know they are money pits when used for heating and i just can't afford it!

A friend has given me an oil heater to use if i need it but i am also unsure about the cost of running etc and whether it is worth it. My main problem is when i am up writing Uni assignments out in the lounge of an evening or early morning.

My boys have flannie sheets, pj's, thick blankets and quilts on their beds so they are warm enough and i have warm pj's, blanket and quilt, wheat bag etc so it's not so bad once we are in bed it's just the before.

Any advice etc is appreciated TIA smile

Hi there,

When I first moved into my current house I used 2 oil-filled heaters to heat the place, and was shocked when I got my first power bill. I started monitoring my consumption, but tried not to change my habits, taking my own reads daily, and making a brief note as to how I'd been using my heating that day. Then I stopped using the heaters and continued taking the daily reads. I used to work for an electricity retailer, and this was what we suggested customers do if they wanted to try to identify where their power was going. Anyway, after that little experiment I discovered the heaters literally DOUBLED my electricity consumption. So I sold the heaters!

I'm sure it will depend on your specific house and how you use the heater. I'd recommend just trying out your heater and take your own reads, see what it uses.

Cheers.
Thank you so so much for all the replies - i think it's obvious that i will not be using the heater LOL

I just brought one for my daughters room. The guy told me that the best thing to do with them is to actually have them going for the entire day (but when not using have them on the lowest possible setting). Apparently it is the heating up of the oil which uses the most electricity. If we were going to be here for more than this winter I would have invested in a more energy efficient one, but for us it is a very short term measure.

I just brought one for my daughters room. The guy told me that the best thing to do with them is to actually have them going for the entire day (but when not using have them on the lowest possible setting). Apparently it is the heating up of the oil which uses the most electricity. If we were going to be here for more than this winter I would have invested in a more energy efficient one, but for us it is a very short term measure.

We have two small oil heaters in the girls rooms.. They are kept on 24 hours a day and our electricity bill is about $70 more expensive for the 3 month period..
Sign in to follow this topic