Huggies Forum

dog bit son Rss

ok this is the story!
we are living with mil & fil until we find a new place hopefull soon!!!!
they have this little bloody pug/jackrusssel, who is the boss of the house sits at the dinner table, sleep in the bed on the their pillows with them! its really bad!!!!
today DS who is 4 was having his monthly treat of maccas for breakfast sitting on the lounge eating it on the side table! came over to me while i was in the kitchen to open his juice, the dog jumped on the lounge and started to lick his food he told her no and when he did she snarled at him turned and bit him my DP ran over grabbed the dog and threw it off him... now it didnt break skin but it is very close and he has a huge bruise on his arm and some graised skin. my DP called the mil and told her and said if he hadnt of pulled the dog off it wouldnt have let go, all she could say was oh i dont think so!
i dont know what to do! my poor little man, its going to cause WW3 i can feel it! do i contact the RSPCA or the pound or something or just leave it?

1st baby due start of sep

I certainly wouldn't be leaving it, your son was lucky this time, who knows what could happen next time. I would be doing my best to move out of there as soon as you can as it sounds like mil is not going to do much about it. Take photos of the damage caused to your son. I would also be making sure the dog is outside as much as possible and never left alone with your son.
If it was your own dog then yes I would call the rspca but as it's not yours I don't think I would feel comfortable doing that unless it was a really bad bite. I'd try and move out as soon as possible and talk to your MIL to see if you can get it kept outside. Sounds like they're rather attatched to their dog so I'm guessing they wouldn't be happy with that. So you'll probably just have to watch him very closely.

A while ago we had a dog that nipped at our DS, he was trying to get the dog water and our dog was funny round water so we just put it down to that. But then it happened again so I rang the RSPCA and they said the dog would have to be put down. We ended up giving him away and the couple we gave him to knew exactly what had happened. He never broke the skin but I wasn't going to wait around for that to happen. We were sad when we gave him away and DS still talks about him now. When it's your kids you can never be to safe. We have since gotten a new dog and she is great with the kids, but we still watch them.

It sounds very harsh and cruel and all that but I would open the back door and drop kick the mutt down the back yard.
Jack Russells are well known for their snapiness.

Really with your current living situation about the only thing you can do is ensure the dog is never left alone with your son. Make sure your son always eats up at the table and push all the chairs in so the dog cant get up to his food. Also keep the dog outside as much as possible.

Julia (14yrs), Cooper (6yrs) & Amarlia (14 months)

A dog biteing a child is not right. Dogs get put down for doing stuff like that. As much as they are your mil and fil the dog needs to be delt with because its not like you will never go see them again. As much as it is going to cause a fight and could possibly lead to the dog getting put down call the SPCA. If the dog has done it once whats stopping it from doing it again to you, your children or another person in the street. Take a photo of the bite to show them as well.

ok this is the story!
we are living with mil & fil until we find a new place hopefull soon!!!!
they have this little bloody pug/jackrusssel, who is the boss of the house sits at the dinner table, sleep in the bed on the their pillows with them! its really bad!!!!
today DS who is 4 was having his monthly treat of maccas for breakfast sitting on the lounge eating it on the side table! came over to me while i was in the kitchen to open his juice, the dog jumped on the lounge and started to lick his food he told her no and when he did she snarled at him turned and bit him my DP ran over grabbed the dog and threw it off him... now it didnt break skin but it is very close and he has a huge bruise on his arm and some graised skin. my DP called the mil and told her and said if he hadnt of pulled the dog off it wouldnt have let go, all she could say was oh i dont think so!
i dont know what to do! my poor little man, its going to cause WW3 i can feel it! do i contact the RSPCA or the pound or something or just leave it?

So ur inlaws are obviously in denial!! I would probably have a serious chat to mil or get DH to if it makes it easier about keeping the dog outside while they aren't home so this doesn't happen again. As an animal lover myself I wouldn't call RSPCA because it's not the dogs fault it's been spoilt and aloud to behave this way however if mil doesn't agree to fix anything I don't c any other option other than getting your family out of there asap. Good luck.

Christie

I love how everyone is quite happy to say put the dog down!

Sorry but your living with your MIL and its her house and her dog! Yes it might be a mongrel thing and you dont like it but its not yours and i think its your job to supervise when your son and the dog are in the same area. the ILs are doing you a favour letting you live with them!

Its not the dogs fault for snapping/biting. Like you said its a spoilt little thing so it doesnt understand when a young boy says no as it is probly used to getting its own way.

So DONT call the RSPCA, its nothing to do with them. If your unhappy with it then move out. Sorry if it sounds harsh but im an animal lover and yes it bit your son but its not the dogs fault it has been raised that way and its not in your house.
At the end of the day, it's not your dog and it's not your house. I am baffled as to WHY you would allow your child to eat at a level where the dog can get to the food and why wasn't he being supervised. I am assuming from the tone of your post that it was just you and your DP and son at home at the time so why was the dog inside while your child was eating?

I love my dog to bits but when we are eating she is outside and there is no WAY I would leave food on a side table, with the dog inside and walk away, expecting the food to be there when I got back. She's a DOG. They see food (or anything remotely resembling food) unattended and they eat it. It's what they do, they are scavengers, it's in their nature.

As far as the poor dog is concerned, she found something tasty, was about to get stuck in and have a good ol' feast and this rotten little 2 legged beast, that has invaded her territory, has come and told her she can't have it.

At the end of the day, can you trust the dog with your son? Hell no, it obviously has some dominance and aggression issues. Can you do anything about it? No, as I said, not your dog and not your house. If it was your place your could say the dog wasn't welcome there, if it was your dog, you could do what they hell you want but as it is your inlaws dog and your inlaws house all you can do is move if you don't like it and when the inlaws aren't home make sure the dog has no unsupervised access with your son.

Regardless of the fact that they are living with the inlaws or not, the owners of the dog also have a duty of care to the children to ensure their safety....sounds more like the MIL has babied and pampered the mutt to the point that it feels it's higher in the 'pack order' than the kids and that's just plain dangerous when it comes to having kids around any animal that's been raised like that.

I probably wouldn't be calling the RSPCA but I'd certainly be telling the MIL that I'd be moving out ASAP since she favours a DOG over the safety of her GRANDKIDS and locking the dog right away from the kids at all times.

Personally I would have done the same as a PP and given the dog a quick trip out the door!

HeartKids show courage, strength & tenacity

I agree with Marmy and pugbrat I'm afraid, it is NOT your house nor your dog, IL's house their rules.......

YES it is terrible that your son got bitten, but I don't know that blame can rest solely on the dog, it sounds at though he is being babied and getting a lot of attention and having full run of the house... I would be making sure DS is NEVER alone with it, and NEVER eating at a level near him... unfortunately there is not a huge amount you can do short of moving out....

This is the very reason I don't go next door often... especially for dinner... their dogs licking my legs whilst I eat and stealing food off my kids is off putting tongue they are also given run of the house and it appalls me they are treated as one of the family... so much so I often think they get treated better than family! but not my house, not my rules!

Regardless of the fact that they are living with the inlaws or not, the owners of the dog also have a duty of care to the children to ensure their safety....sounds more like the MIL has babied and pampered the mutt to the point that it feels it's higher in the 'pack order' than the kids and that's just plain dangerous when it comes to having kids around any animal that's been raised like that.

I probably wouldn't be calling the RSPCA but I'd certainly be telling the MIL that I'd be moving out ASAP since she favours a DOG over the safety of her GRANDKIDS and locking the dog right away from the kids at all times.

Personally I would have done the same as a PP and given the dog a quick trip out the door!

But that is like asking every person who gets an animal "oooh you'd better raise it nicely incase someone with a child comes into your house".

Im sure the dog has been around longer than the child and the dog is obviously like there child so why should they change there lives around to suit a grandchild.

I dont ask my mum to change her lifestyle to suit the fact i have a baby.

Fair enough what the dog did wasnt nice but seriously its an ANIMAL! If you dont like it then dont be around it! Simple!
I'm agreeing with Marmy, Pugbrat, and Knocked Up.

Jack Russells are renowned for being nippy dogs.
In any situation, you should never have allowed a dog near a young child with food. Especially when you know this dog's temperament, did you honestly expect her just to sit there and watch someone eat food in front of her without her trying to get at it?
Anything you put within reach (or beyond reach, really) of a dog is considered fair game as far as they're concerned. It's in their nature to eat whatever they find.

I don't see why you didn't sit your son at the table, or put the dog outside or at least in another room while he ate.

Trying to have the dog put down for something it's not at fault for will cause more than WW3.

Edit: Not to mention, even though you live there, you are still guests in their house. You have to respect their rules and their way of living.
I don't see it as the grandmother favouring the dog over her grandchild, especially when she wasn't even in the house at the time. The child's safety is always your responsibility, even when you're in another person's house.
You can't expect them to fully change their lifestyle habits to accommodate long-term guests.
Sign in to follow this topic