Huggies Forum

DOH. It's been locked. Lock Rss

Bummer, I tried to reply in the other thread, but it's probably better having a different thread for this since it's not related anyway. lol

Just out of curiosity, did the study say HOW breastmilk would raise a child's IQ? It's just that I find that a bit hard to swallow....because would that not essentially mean that babies/toddlers that are formula fed are going to have lower IQ's than BF babies? And what exactly would be in breastmilk that would contribute to braincell growth and regeneration since genetic studies have shown that a child's level of intelligence and mental capacity is established in the womb?

(this isn't a personal attack, I just really don't see how that study could solely prove that breastmilk causes higher IQ's in children? Especially since there would be SOOO many variables involved at that age!) There would have to be blind and double blind studies etc and the process of research would have to be over years!!

ETA: gosh, in light of a recent post that I wrote to you, this really does sound like a challenge. I honestly don't mean it that way, I'm really interested in understanding the ins and outs of the study you mentioned in the other thread!
I was responding in exactly the same manner. To me intelligence is a genetically decided factor.

BFd kids dont dominate top of the class so its often been a question of mine as to how breastmilk impacts ones inteliigence.
can i have the links please.... thanks that will be great....

Bummer, I tried to reply in the other thread, but it's probably better having a different thread for this since it's not related anyway. lol

Just out of curiosity, did the study say HOW breastmilk would raise a child's IQ? It's just that I find that a bit hard to swallow....because would that not essentially mean that babies/toddlers that are formula fed are going to have lower IQ's than BF babies? And what exactly would be in breastmilk that would contribute to braincell growth and regeneration since genetic studies have shown that a child's level of intelligence and mental capacity is established in the womb?

(this isn't a personal attack, I just really don't see how that study could solely prove that breastmilk causes higher IQ's in children? Especially since there would be SOOO many variables involved at that age!) There would have to be blind and double blind studies etc and the process of research would have to be over years!!

ETA: gosh, in light of a recent post that I wrote to you, this really does sound like a challenge. I honestly don't mean it that way, I'm really interested in understanding the ins and outs of the study you mentioned in the other thread!

I don't know, I saw it on the news about 3 months ago. I think it was a British test. They do not know exactly what it is about breastmilk, which is why they cannot replicate it in formula. I will search for this research.

I know it was breakthrough research, but it was the first of its kind so will need to be followed up extensively by similar studies.

It does suggest that formula fed children have a lower IQ than breastfed babies.
http://motherandbaby.ninemsn.com.au/baby/babyhealth/8223539/breastfed-babies-have-higher-iq-study
The problem with these types of studies is they only use a minimal amount of subjects.

The news can report anything and in any biased manner it sees fit. Im sure you could find a study to support your post but Im sure you could also find one completely opposing such findings.
how do they know that the child wasn't going to have an IQ that was high/low to start with, whether they are bf or ff?

how do they know that the child wasn't going to have an IQ that was high/low to start with, whether they are bf or ff?

Exactly. What was the childs IQ at birth??
I was wondering the same thing. As the mother of an almost 3yr old DD who was bottle fed from 3 days old I am interested in this coz I'm pretty positive that you can not tell the difference between her and a BF child!! It sounds a bit strange that an iq can be increased by breastmilk or maybe I'm missing something??!!

Would also love to see a link for this grin

I don't know, I saw it on the news about 3 months ago. I think it was a British test. They do not know exactly what it is about breastmilk, which is why they cannot replicate it in formula. I will search for this research.

I know it was breakthrough research, but it was the first of its kind so will need to be followed up extensively by similar studies.

It does suggest that formula fed children have a lower IQ than breastfed babies.

Yeah, I agree that the nutrients the body naturally produces cannot be truly replicated (I guess in the same way that vitamin tablets do not hold the same level of quality that you get naturally from sources of food/natural vitamins/minerals etc).

But I really don't see how one's intelligence can be determined by the nutrition in BM! Although, we do have 'brain foods' etc that help use take advantage of our mental capacity - e.g. foods and mental exercises that enable us to use a higher percentage of our brain, but not make us more intelligent, if that makes sense...

I'm just really interested in this! I'll go have a look too and see if I can find anything.

The problem with these types of studies is they only use a minimal amount of subjects.

The news can report anything and in any biased manner it sees fit. Im sure you could find a study to support your post but Im sure you could also find one completely opposing such findings.

I don't think you could find one to oppose these findings. It was an extensive study as the article states.
i did find a link but i am on the fence about posting it as i have fed formula and breast fed
Sign in to follow this topic