Huggies Forum

Mirena Lock Rss

Hi Girls,

So I have an appointment to see my GP this week and I have a script to get an IUD mirena thingy (very technical sorry lol) I got the script months ago when DS2 was born and have ummed and ahhed and pretty much not bothered to think about it but now I figured I'd better decide whether to get it put in or not.

So please what are peoples experiences on mirena?? The good and the bad thanks!! Is it really effective (dont want another baby atm!) are there any side effects?

Thanks!
Sarah xo

Hi Sarah
I have the mirena, and have had it for nearly 3 yrs. It's uncomfortable to have inserted, but other than that it's been fine for me. I had some bleeding initially for about a week (I think!) then pretty much nothing since then.
I'm happy with it.
I hated it, had it in for 64 days and bled for 62 of them.

I hated it, had it in for 64 days and bled for 62 of them.

Thats awful! did your gp give you any reason for the constant bleeding? Or is that a normal side effect for some women?

ive had one in for 6mths now and love it lol

i did have light bleeding/spotting for the first 8wks but i have had nothing since (yah) and so far no pregnancy lol

i love the fact that we dont have to worry about a pill or condoms or anything for the next 5yrs plus if we do decide to have another baby we can start trying as soon as its out

ive had one in for 6mths now and love it lol

i did have light bleeding/spotting for the first 8wks but i have had nothing since (yah) and so far no pregnancy lol

i love the fact that we dont have to worry about a pill or condoms or anything for the next 5yrs plus if we do decide to have another baby we can start trying as soon as its out

Thanks good to hear its working for you. I like the idea of not having to take a pill coz I know I would forget!! Did it hurt when you had it put in? I read somewhere its good to take nurofen before your appointment did you do that?

thanks
Sarah

Thats awful! did your gp give you any reason for the constant bleeding? Or is that a normal side effect for some women?

Sorry, I had Angus on my lap so was just a short thing earlier and couldn't reply till now!!

Apparently some women it takes up to 6 months for the bleeding to settle. They said to me that I should wait till 6 months and see if it got any better. Aside from the fact that nobody wants to be bleeding that much for that long, it was costing a fortune in sanitary items!!! I found it to be uncomfortable, it simply did not agree with me.

A lot of chicks swear by it - me, I swear AT it. Truly not my cup of tea and I couldn't possibly ever recommend it to anyone. But as I said, not everyone is like me, for some women it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Sorry, but at least this way you get all opinions!
I am watching this thread with great interest as I am also about to get a merina iud.

This may be too personal but I was wondering if it affected anyones sex drive/labido...the pill does kill mine somewhat and that is just no fun...

Would love to know if some of you ladies don't mind sharing...
Karena
I had my mirena in for 2 1/2 years and LOVED it.... I have 2 pill babies and its been the only contraception that has worked 100%

its a little uncomfortable to have put in ( yes take nurofen beforehand) and I bled for a few days after insertion but all is good...

I will be getting another one put in if all things go to plan

Sorry, I had Angus on my lap so was just a short thing earlier and couldn't reply till now!!

Apparently some women it takes up to 6 months for the bleeding to settle. They said to me that I should wait till 6 months and see if it got any better. Aside from the fact that nobody wants to be bleeding that much for that long, it was costing a fortune in sanitary items!!! I found it to be uncomfortable, it simply did not agree with me.

A lot of chicks swear by it - me, I swear AT it. Truly not my cup of tea and I couldn't possibly ever recommend it to anyone. But as I said, not everyone is like me, for some women it is the best thing since sliced bread.

Sorry, but at least this way you get all opinions!

Dont be sorry I appreciate all the info sorry for all the questions lol. And I've thought of more since lol ... does it have side effects like weight gain like the pill does? Was there any worries/pain getting it taken out? And can any GP put it in, just found out my GP is on holidays so I'll be seeing a locum?

thanks!

Got one and I LOVE it! Was horrible to be put in and I had cramps for the rest of that day, and spot bleeding for a couple of days, and I havent bleed since- been in for nearly 6 months I think.

The doctor offered me a local anethetic beforehand, and I would of had it if i knew how much it would hurt!!

I had to have an ultrasound a week later to check the place of the strings coz I have part of my cervix removed, the strings didnt stay in the right place or something like that, which will make it a bit more difficult to have removed when the time comes.

I have had no weight gain, no headaches or moodiness like I do with other contraceptions- oh, and no pregnancy! I have fallen pregnant twice on different pills.

i did take a couple of nurofen before hand but i didnt find it any more uncomfortable or painful then having a pap smear done. my GP put mine in but im in nz so could be different in aus smile

karena - the pill killed my sex drive too but its fine with the mirena grin

and i havent had any adverse reactions to it
Sign in to follow this topic