Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. I feel like a little kid at a new school

I feel like a little kid at a new school Rss

I am such a wuss lol...

I really want to find a mothers group but I am too scared to go and meet complete strangers...

Surely I am not the only one (hopefully lol) to feel like this??? What made you just get out and do it????? I know I should because it will do me a world of good to meet some new people with kiddies but ARGH...

Hi

I'm just the same. So far, I haven't. Tried to when we moved to new town & everyone was so clickly and b!tchy. I hate that. I felt like a total outsider, never went back. No-one even said hello, just looked down at me, made horrid comments about me & my DS, who was just over 1 year old at the time.

I prefer to stay home & not be judged and put down by people who don't even know me.

I don't need that stress & DS does not need to be exposed to cattiness either.
I felt exactly the same and never went to a mums group. I kinda think it would've been good if i had started going with DS when he was young but i was just too scared lol, sounds pathetic doesn't it??

I went to a shared lunch thing at DS's kindy a couple of months back when he was new there and i think ONE mum talked to me. They all just stood around in their own little group talking, i felt very out of place and awkward, the only ones that talked to me were the teachers. I prefer to just hang out with my friends who have kids that I already know/am comfortable with.
I had to force myself to go lol, I am quite a shy person until I get to know a person.
I tried a few playgroups before I found one I liked so be prepared for that. I know in where I live they have mum and bub walking groups (meets at one of the local parks), baby sling dancing (at the toy library) and baby storytime (at the local library). You could always look into something like that too.
I know how you feel- I am super shy. I have only met Huggies mums- and they have all been fantastic! No clickiness- very welcoming.
I took DD's to a PCYC class the other week and they were all in their own little groups and only 1 lady spoke to me. I haven't been back, because I don't need that sad

My suggestion is to check out the communities section on here. And if there's no-one in your area-start a post.
I have met some lifelong friends through here grin

I would recommend that you give it a go! You never know who you might meet. I met one of my best friends when I was pregnant and we were doing a yoga class together. Since then, I have moved to a new town, and I have been forced to go out and interact, otherwise I simply would have NOONE to talk to.... which would drive me insane!!! I go to 3 different activities throughout the week, and while I have definately found some 'clicks' I have met some wonderful mums too.

Vicki

Im not a shy person... easily fit into any sitchuation... but god NO.. will u ever see me at a playgroup..... all that bitchy, rude, snarly, horrid woman who think they are better than everyone else all in the one spot... and my child is better than urs because.. yadda, yadda... BLAH.... i would rather go see a gynecologist... pmsl

U will meet people with children.. just give it time.. true people will come knocking on ur door if u know wot i mean gasp)

I am such a wuss lol...

I really want to find a mothers group but I am too scared to go and meet complete strangers...

Surely I am not the only one (hopefully lol) to feel like this??? What made you just get out and do it????? I know I should because it will do me a world of good to meet some new people with kiddies but ARGH...

My daughter went to her first play group 3 weeks ago, and she is almost 18mths old, so you are definitely the only one! I am new to Tassie, and have no friends here (1 if you include someone i went to church with a few times 10 years ago), so it is really hard for me to get out and intergrate.

I am a single mum too, so I don't have anyone but myself, apart from my mum who might come over once a week (that is usually to help me get things done that i couldnt, having no car). It's a hard situation, but i MADE myself go to play group, but havent been back since because 2 days later my daughter had a cold, then it has rained ever since (no car, i walk everywhere!).

What made me do it was the fact that my daughter had only ever played with her cousin (who is 5.5yrs older, but autistic,so a little younger than her years), and I noticed that my girl loved watching little kids when we were out and about, so I had to do it for her, she needs to be around other kids smile She really loved it, and I have to get there next playgroup!

Also, it helps to get you, the mother, out of the house and around other mums as well! But as a single mother, I think I am the only one at playgroup, and that makes it a little harder for me, as all the other mums are married or have partners, so i dont have as much in common with them as the other married or partnered mums do! Oh well, at least it is someone to talk to!!

I hope you do get out there, it will keep you from going insane as well!

Tash xx

I was exactally the same . We moved to a new town when DS was 4 months then the chn told me about the new mothers group . They run it through the maternal health centre and have a differnt speaker each week (a dental nurse , a cpr instructor , a dietion) then at the end of the 6 weeks they hand around a form and we can put our name down if we would like to start a mothers group.

I put my name down , more for DS than me . I think is is important for the kiddies to be social with other kiddies . Only 5 of the mums out of 10 keep comming to the fortnighly get togethers .

It felt weird at first , me joining them when DS was 6 months older than all their newborns . But it has been good , most weeks I think do I have to go . But I just remind myself its not for me its for DS , he could end up going to school with these kiddies.

There is always going to be clicky groups , if you find one then dont go back . Just keep looking until you find some 'real' people for you and your lil man to hang out with smile
I was sooooo scared when I went the first time, I talked myself out of it a million times before I got there and almost had to physically move my legs to walk inside!!!

I realised quite quick that I didnt need to be scared, we all had one thing in common, our kids, so there is an automatic ice breaker there!!

Im not a shy person... easily fit into any sitchuation... but god NO.. will u ever see me at a playgroup..... all that bitchy, rude, snarly, horrid woman who think they are better than everyone else all in the one spot... and my child is better than urs because.. yadda, yadda... BLAH.... i would rather go see a gynecologist... pmsl

U will meet people with children.. just give it time.. true people will come knocking on ur door if u know wot i mean gasp)

all those women bitching kind of like you are about them??? My playgroup is awesome, they made me feel at home straight away.

I am such a wuss lol...

Bite the bullet and give it a go - it is hard to join an existing group, and if you have consciously made an effort to talk and interact and still don't feel welcome or get response, then yes you're better off being somewhere else as that group is not worthy of your company and not see them again - but there are genuinely nice mums out there who are friendly and mature enough to be open to new friendships. Maybe try gymbaroo, kindermusik or some other baby program - even though you have to pay, but at least your bub will get lots of activities and you'll be in the same position as most mums who are new to the group / program And when the program finishes, maybe some friendship will continue from there?

I am very well aware there can be 'air of superiority' amongst formed groups and have felt this on occasions when in a room of strangers, but sometimes it can be just you talking yourself into such a paranoid state because it is nerve racking meeting new people! But at the end of the day, you know you are a nice person, you just need to find people as nice as you and feel comfortable being with them - and you know you are when you all talk about your kids and what they're doing or not doing without feeling that it is a competition or that the mum is gloating, but instead sharing a genuine experience with a group of friends which my mums group ended up being. Be brave and you might be pleasantly surprise! Plus, your bub will love their new social life!
Sign in to follow this topic