Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Using Lukes name for subsequent children???

Using Lukes name for subsequent children??? Lock Rss

We are thinking about having more kids (always wanted to) but waiting for testing to decide whether we will be able to safely or not.....

Anyway something that has played on my mind a lot is whether or not I would use his name as a middle name for another baby........

We always said if we had another boy we liked cody jack, but wondering if it would be wrong to name a baby Cody Luke after his big brother?????

A friend gave birth 5 days after he passed away and gave their little man Luke as a middle name ( they asked us 1st) and we were touched by it, but were wondering qwhat others have done if in our situation? Or we should just leave it and give another bub their 'own' name??

We are thinking about having more kids (always wanted to) but waiting for testing to decide whether we will be able to safely or not.....

Anyway something that has played on my mind a lot is whether or not I would use his name as a middle name for another baby........

We always said if we had another boy we liked cody jack, but wondering if it would be wrong to name a baby Cody Luke after his big brother?????

A friend gave birth 5 days after he passed away and gave their little man Luke as a middle name ( they asked us 1st) and we were touched by it, but were wondering qwhat others have done if in our situation? Or we should just leave it and give another bub their 'own' name??

I think that it is a beautiful idea. You could even use Luka for a girl!
I think it would be a lovely idea to use it as a middle name!
xxx
personally I wouldn't but I pass no judgement on those who do.
But I don't reuse pets names either. Just feels weird to me.
I think its a lovely idea. I would only use it as a middle name though. That way Luke still has his special place and you can honour any new little boys with his name.

smile

I think if you are happy with, and comfortable with the idea then it is a good one.

If I were to find myself in the same situation I think I would do it. We as parents often give our children names that are special and personally meaningful (whether it is naming a child after a grandparent, carrying on a family name etc) I think using Luke as a middle name is like that, special, meaningful, a special little connection that any future child could feel to their angel big brother.
thankyou ladies,
i would only ever use it as a middle name, and would think about giving two middle names so bub has two of their own and luke IYKWIM?

Dee, our luke was named after another incredibly brave little friend of ours, whom at 12 still goes through surgeries for hare lip and severe cleft palate, so to us Luke is not just our sons name but a very strong name, and I have always said "Big Luke" and "Little Luke" as we always defined them were my heroes so that is why the name has so much meaning to me

I think that it is a beautiful idea. You could even use Luka for a girl!

what an awsome idea smile
Yeah, I'm quite used to it so it'd never worry me, we had some friend who had 4 sons, the dad was Clement & the sons were: Hamish Clement Leon, then Leon Clement Marcel, then Marcel Clement Adriaan, then Adriaan Clement ... I'm not sure what his 3rd name was - not as easy to remember!! :rolleyes:I think if u love the name and it has good connections for you, go for it!
I think it is personal choice... I really wanted to use my sisters name as a middle name (she passed away as a teenager), Just in honour of her and she was someone I looked up to a lot... My husband didnt think it was a good idea.. I respect that, so we have never done it. But if its something that you and hubby would like to do then I say go for it and dont listen to anyone who disagrees.

If I was in your position - I wouldn't use his name. I remember reading your posts about Luke and he trully sounded like a beautiful child. I think younger siblings already feel like they have to live up to the achievements of older siblings. If you do decide to start TTC and are blessed with a little boy, he is going to grow up hearing wonderful stories about Luke and there is going to be a feeling of trying to live up to his memory. I think that any future child should be celebrated as an individual and not part of a memory of another child. (I haven't worded this right - but not sure how else to put it smile ). In the future when your daughters have children, they may want to use Luke as a name for their children.

This is just my opinion though and if this is something that you and your DH want to do - go for it.

We are in a similar situation, If this pregnancy goes well and is a boy then he will have two middle names, either Hamish Harrison or Mathison Baylis.
At the moment hubby and I are liking Emmett for a boys name so will be Emmett Hamish Harrison (surname) or Emmett Mathison Baylis (surname)

I love the suggestion of Luka for a girls name, i love that name.

For a girls name we are going to come up with something for her middle name that has a connection to the boys. I just don't know what yet

Hamish & Harrison "together forever"

Sign in to follow this topic