Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. General Discussion
  5. Mid 30's 36 wks and having 2nd baby but not as big

Mid 30's 36 wks and having 2nd baby but not as big Lock Rss

I don't know if I should be worried or not. Our first was just over 9pnd and when the OB seen me today I could tell he thought I was compact. I feel really out front and low and am guessing it's a boy. He said it's amazing how everyone carry's differently. He looked to see how big my last was and said wow well you won't be having as bigger baby this time. I am measuring the same amounts per weeks I am. I just always thought that your 2nd is always bigger and was preparing myself for it. I don't smoke or drink and there is nothing else I can think of that is different. Apart from me not working at McDonalds pregnant this time. Maybe that has something to do with it hahha??

2nds aren't always as big. DS was much smaller than DD.

With DS I was measuring ahead by up to 4 weeks with my fundal height, although two days before he was born my fundal height was only 1cm longer than it 'should' be. Had multiple scans because I was a gestational diabetic and they were worried about his weight etc but scans always showed him to be 'average'. I spoke to my dr about DD's birth measurements (8lbs/3.666kg, 54cm length, 34.5cm head circumference born on her due date) and was told to expect DS to be pretty much the same based on her palpating my tummy.

DS was born at 38 weeks 5 days and weighed only 6lbs 11oz/3.036kg, 50cm length and 33.5cm head circumference.

Leisa.
Hi first mum with one,

I have 4 older sisters and 3 of them have had more than one child, one of my sisters got bigger children every time. One of my other sisters had her first who was large her second was huge and her third was tiny and another sister who had a big baby the first time and a small baby the second time. I must add that each and every single one of those babies was born healthy and strong and my sisters were in thier mid 20's to 30's.
SO if ur OB is saying anything is wrong and your instinct is telling you it is ok then I guess it is.

Good Luck

I don't know if I should be worried or not. Our first was just over 9pnd and when the OB seen me today I could tell he thought I was compact. I feel really out front and low and am guessing it's a boy. He said it's amazing how everyone carry's differently. He looked to see how big my last was and said wow well you won't be having as bigger baby this time. I am measuring the same amounts per weeks I am. I just always thought that your 2nd is always bigger and was preparing myself for it. I don't smoke or drink and there is nothing else I can think of that is different. Apart from me not working at McDonalds pregnant this time. Maybe that has something to do with it hahha??

Same happened here - Judd was 4.3kg so I just assumed Wil would be bigger and when my OB told me he was going to be small I didn't believe him at all. But yep he came out on his due date at 3.57kg so a fair bit smaller.

I don't think it's anything we do that influences it - it's just how bubby is grin

Same happened here - Judd was 4.3kg so I just assumed Wil would be bigger and when my OB told me he was going to be small I didn't believe him at all. But yep he came out on his due date at 3.57kg so a fair bit smaller.

I don't think it's anything we do that influences it - it's just how bubby is grin

Wow that is a bit of a difference isn't it. I'm the same as you like yer sure but it's just the way it is. The OB didn't say that anything was wrong just that it won't be as big.

Wow that is a bit of a difference isn't it. I'm the same as you like yer sure but it's just the way it is. The OB didn't say that anything was wrong just that it won't be as big.

Yeah just try not to stress, there's nothing you can do to alter it and bubby will come out one way or another hehehe! As long as they're healthy there is nothing wrong with being little smile

Yeah just try not to stress, there's nothing you can do to alter it and bubby will come out one way or another hehehe! As long as they're healthy there is nothing wrong with being little smile

I know, thank you

I was smaller with DS2 (I thought he was going to be a girl because I was smaller) DS1 was 8 pounds and DS2 was 6 pound 15, I had GD with both pregnancies and didnt do anything different first time around as to second time around and stayed the same weight with both pregnancies. i wouldnt worry too much about it, if your doc thinks your fine then im sure you are.

DS1 was born at 37 weeks to the day weighing 9lb 4oz.

DS2 was born at 38 weeks 1 day weighing 8lb 5oz, almost a full pound lighter than DS1.

I did everything exactly the same during both pregnancies; I ate healthy foods, exercised responsibly, didn't drink or smoke or even go near caffeine. One factor determining a baby's birth weight is genetics - the genes from the same two people (mother and father) can create millions of possible genetic combinations. Just because your first was large doesn't mean your next will be.

Although, I had a sizing scan done just days before DS1 was born estimating him at being around 6lb which is also what my OB and midwives suggested through palpation. Obviously, he simply had himself tucked up in a compact ball because he was enormous!
My DS2 was smaller than DS1....Only by a little bit!
x
Ok So mine got bigger the more I had at 6lb 11 (39wks) 7lb11oz (40+3wks) and 8lb 2 (38wk) but I was the smallest of my mums at 8lb 2oz and I was the third and we were all girls, my sisters were both 8lb 9oz

MIL's babies were #1 10lb (girl), #2 8lb 10 (I think)(girl), #3 12lb 1oz (boy) and #4 10lb 10oz (boy) all born at term
Sign in to follow this topic