Huggies Forum

H harness Lock Rss

Hi, could someone please tell me when do the child start using a H harness? is it with age or weight, and how. Any help much appreciated.
They don't in this house!

If however you need to put a child in a position in the car that has only a lap belt, they are considered of benefit there. We don't have any lap-only belts in our car though smile

They don't in this house!

If however you need to put a child in a position in the car that has only a lap belt, they are considered of benefit there. We don't have any lap-only belts in our car though smile

We don't have lap belts either. What will you do though, once yours have outgrown the inbuilt harness in the car seat? Mine are in Maxi Riders and I thought they would need the H harness with that after they can no longer user the inbuilt one.
They can go into a H harness when their carseat straps (maxirider or whatever) no longer fit. The recommendations are usually on the seat, I think they are generally around 4yrs/16-18kgs. A H harness is also recommended even with a lap/sash (over the shoulder) seat belt because in the event of an accident the H harness helps to distribute the force across the body, not just into one shoulder and across their tummy.

I thought they would need the H harness with that after they can no longer user the inbuilt one.

Yes that's the recommendation on the maxirider seat. They use the in-built straps to around 18kgs and then they should have the H harness.

We don't have lap belts either. What will you do though, once yours have outgrown the inbuilt harness in the car seat? Mine are in Maxi Riders and I thought they would need the H harness with that after they can no longer user the inbuilt one.

You can use the lap/sash belt with the anti clip and sash slip both located in the maxi rider. This is just as safe as a correctly fitted H harness and a hell of alot less fiddly. It is also kidsafe approved smile

S1 went straight to a dedicated booster with slideguard (antisub clip) and lap/sash belt once he was too tall for the inbuilt harness.

Research has shown that H harnesses do not provide any additional protection in an accident when they are fitted correctly, but they do cause a great deal more damage in an accident when they are not fitted correctly. To me it's not worth adding that risk for the sake of an unnecessary accessory.

I would possibly consider one if my kids were houdinis that refused to stay in their belts, but fortunately that's not a problem for us.
Hi,

I have the maxi rider with adjustable head rest, the salesperson at the baby store said as long as DD was not too tall for the five point harness (over the shoulders), we didn't need to use the H harness. She is 21kgs and is still comfortably fitting the over the shoulder straps.

Hi,

I have the maxi rider with adjustable head rest, the salesperson at the baby store said as long as DD was not too tall for the five point harness (over the shoulders), we didn't need to use the H harness. She is 21kgs and is still comfortably fitting the over the shoulder straps.

The lady that told you that is WRONG! The maximum weight for an inbuilt 5pt harness is 18kgs, at a stretch 20kg.

You need to take the 5pt out asap and start using either a lapsash seat belt or a Protecta H harness.

I work in a baby store and I would NEVER tell someone that it is ok to keep using it as long as they are not too tall.

The lady that told you that is WRONG! The maximum weight for an inbuilt 5pt harness is 18kgs, at a stretch 20kg.

You need to take the 5pt out asap and start using either a lapsash seat belt or a Protecta H harness.

I work in a baby store and I would NEVER tell someone that it is ok to keep using it as long as they are not too tall.

The salesperson really sounded like she knew what she was talking about. She said that the belts were more than strong enough for the weight and the only reason they recommended moving to an additional harness was more to do with height.

That is so disappointing, I would have thought staff at a big chain like Babies Galore would know what they were talking about sad angry

The salesperson really sounded like she knew what she was talking about. She said that the belts were more than strong enough for the weight and the only reason they recommended moving to an additional harness was more to do with height.

That is so disappointing, I would have thought staff at a big chain like Babies Galore would know what they were talking about sad angry

I'm sure she sounded convincing but she's wrong, sometimes I do wonder about the staff there. The additional harness has nothing to do with height really, it's all about the weight of the child.. if the child is too tall for the seat then they have to come out, the harness is not going to change that.

The seat is only safe to use until 18kgs, Safe and Sound do test their seats at a higher weight but I would only ever reccommend using the 5 pt harness until a maximum of 20kgs. After that the 5pt harness may or may not hold your childs weight in an accident.

I can not believe people are passing on the wrong information to their customers, they should know better!

I was all set to use a H harness-thought it was safer. Until I researched it a bit, and they are actually no safer than just the adult belt. (As long as it is not a lap only belt, and obviously used with a booster seat.) In fact, due to them being incorrectly fitted most of the time, they pose more of a risk than just the adult belt.
Sign in to follow this topic