Huggies Forum

Cooking for Kids Lock Rss

DS1 (3) and I made some brownies and Biscuits (cut out shapes) and he really enjoyed it but I was wondering what else we could make that he could help with?

I'm wanting ideas for things that he could have for Lunch and snacks?

He doesn't eat much junk so healthy things are preferred.

TIA
we make a chicken sausage roll thats pretty nice..
3 sheets puff pastry
500gm chicken mince
1 green apple
1 carrot
1 onion
2 heaped teaspoons plain flour ( i use wholemeal)
clove garlic crushed (or like me a little minced garlic
1 tablespoon grain mustard
salt and pepper.
1 egg
Bit of thyme ( inever use this i never have it in the pantry!)
Grate apple carrot and onion, mix together with mince egg and seasonings.
cut each sheet of pastry in half so you have 6 pieces. place mixture into middle of each piece of pastry and roll to make the sausage rolls.. It can make 30 of the small sausage rolls, but for my little kids fingers i can get about 40 or more. Put a little knife slit in each roll , put on a baking tray and cover with glad wrap in the fridge for 30 mins. Baste with an egg so they brown niceley. Put in an oven at 200 degrees for about 20 mins.

8 babies..5boys 3 girls

DS1 (3) and I made some brownies and Biscuits (cut out shapes) and he really enjoyed it but I was wondering what else we could make that he could help with?

I'm wanting ideas for things that he could have for Lunch and snacks?

He doesn't eat much junk so healthy things are preferred.

TIA

I'm needing ideas as well.
We've made pancakes a couple of times which are a great success.
1 cup SR flour
1 cup milk
1 egg

We've made them plain, and with banana. Dd1 helped mash the bananas. I like them because i'm not really a baker but can do these. It's an easy recipe, not fiddly at all. As Long as the cup for milk and the the flour are the same size they'll work. I saw Jamie Oliver cook them using a coffee mug as the cup. There is no sugar to start with so it's not so bad if you add sweeter toppings.
Something you could do for snacks or lunch is spread cream cheese on a salada or bread and let him make faces on them with celery, sprouts, cherry tomatoes etc...

Jelly cups for desert, he could put some fruit in them.

we make mini pizza's out of english muffins.... ham, cheese, tomatoe paste, pineapple ( really whatever you desire!!) and toast in oven.... simple and easy...

cheese and bacon scones.... vegimite scrolls....

anything like that is lots of fun to do together
ds loves to watch me cook cakes etc so he can lick the beaters and the bowls.
My kids help me with pretty much everything I cook. When I do the veggies for dinner they put them in the saucepan or into a bowl (I always have to do extra of some as they actually like raw veggies). The only things I dont let them tough are the hot stuff, knives and raw meat.

DD1 helps with almost everything, I give her the simple jobs like stirring, measuring and sifting. She's been doing it for ages now (DH didn't like me doing it, but meh, it's my profession after all).

Keep to recipes your happy them doing, if your uncomfortable them using hot stuff don't.

fruit kebabs
buns or scrolls (anything that involves doughs and rolling)
icy poles
ice cream
celery boats (celery, peanut butter/cream cheese, sultanas and a corn chip)

You can also get some great cooking packs for chilren which include an apron, measuring cups, spoons, spatulas etc.

My kids help with almost everything, except cutting & actual cooking. If we do toasted sandwiches, they spread the bread, put the ingredients onto the sandwich then I cook it.

Their favourite is to crack eggs into cake or pancake batter - I've become well practised at picking pieces of egg shells out!!!

Even if I'm chopping vegies, they like to put them into the pot once they're cut.

Making their own mini pizzas is good too, I just chop everything up for them first.
pizzas? smile

my DD likes to crack the eggs.
I usually get her to do this in a seperate bowl so I can pick out the bits of shell.
Thanks for the replies there's some great ideas- like the mini pizzas, don't kno why i didn't think of that lol

DS1 isn't allowed in the kitchen so we do it all at the kitchen table or the bench near the Kitchen table.

Are those the Master Chef packs from Big w that come with apron and that? I was looking at them the other day just quickly!

keep the ideas coming, i'm jotting them all down!
DS1 is a real little gourmet. He's 2.5 and loves to help me in the kitchen smile He tends to be more interested in prepping veges etc. (you can get some amazing child-friendly knives these days - they'll cut carrots but not fingers!). But, here are some fun finger-food ideas that would be easy to make at the kitchen bench:

Crostini with various toppings - DS1's favourites are:

cream cheese with salmon and dill
hommus and tomato
creamed corn

Milk Arrowroot fish (this one was in this month's Good Taste mag):

Spread Milk arrowroot biscuits with cream cheese and top with segmented strawberries to make scales. Fan a strawberry at one end to form a tail and then use some raspberries or sultanas to make eyes.
Sign in to follow this topic