Huggies Forum

british gift tradition Lock Rss

My husband grew uo in the UK and moved to Australia when he was 16.

Now that we have kids there are arguments every year about how the xmas gifts get delivered.

You see, supposedly in the UK santa delivers ALL the presents, including those from family and friends. So there are no presents under the tree leading up to xmas because santa delivers them all on xmas eve (because santa makes ALL presents...)

Well I've always had presents given to me by the person they are actually from and only the presents that are actually from santa are put in the santa sacks.

Because my husband has a million other xmas 'traditions' we have to follow every year I have put my foot down and said that only santa presents go in santa sacks and the rest of the presents go under the tree leading up to xmas.

what are your thoughts???? Has anyone heard of this strange xmas tradition before??? all the xmas films I've been watching lately, american and british, have had presents under the tree....
I am British and I have never heard of this one!

Gifts that are from family and friends are given by whoever they're from, and they are placed under the tree leading up to Christmas. Only presents from Santa go in Santa sacks.

In my family (but I think this is only us - not everyone) we open presents from family and friends on Christmas Eve, in the evening after dinner. Presents from Santa are opened on Christmas Day morning.

To be honest I would be a little concerned about your husband's tradition, depending on how old your kids are and what they can understand, because I think it's important that kids understand who has given them what, so that they can appreciate the gift properly and can thank the giver later. I think very small children would probably not understand this tradition and would probably think that everything was from Santa.

my mum is english and NOTHING goes under the christmas tree we also have traditional food turkey, ham and pork dessert is trifle or pudding but mainly trifle and everything comes from santa except the food of cause but my mum has laxed and given 1 present from us the rest is santa

Even presents from aunties and uncles? I just thought it odd because who do you thank for the gift? do you know who it's really from?

That's one thing they don't do tho is the food. They do yorkshire pudding if they do a roast but the roast is normally beef or lamb. I can't have xmas without my turkey but have to have it on boxing day this year. They would have trifle but Nan who makes it is in the UK and noone else will do it.

I am British and I have never heard of this one!

Gifts that are from family and friends are given by whoever they're from, and they are placed under the tree leading up to Christmas. Only presents from Santa go in Santa sacks.

In my family (but I think this is only us - not everyone) we open presents from family and friends on Christmas Eve, in the evening after dinner. Presents from Santa are opened on Christmas Day morning.

To be honest I would be a little concerned about your husband's tradition, depending on how old your kids are and what they can understand, because I think it's important that kids understand who has given them what, so that they can appreciate the gift properly and can thank the giver later. I think very small children would probably not understand this tradition and would probably think that everything was from Santa.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about (the kids not understanding and being able to thank people properly).

My dad is german so we celebrated xmas on xmas eve with his family. It worked out brilliantly for the kids cos we had a full xmas celebration on xmas eve wtih dad's family and then again on xmas day with mum's Aussie family (which was a mix of british, irish, french and chinese). Both families though had the presents under the tree leading up to xmas and only got santa presnts in the santa sack.

My MIL made a comment the other day how it will be confusing for the boys that santa delivers the presnets to so many different houses (ie. when we visit family and the boys get given presents at their house santa must have delivered it there - does that make sense??) anyway, I thought that more confusing than anything.

Now that we have kids there are arguments every year about how the xmas gifts get delivered.

You see, supposedly in the UK santa delivers ALL the presents, including those from family and friends. So there are no presents under the tree leading up to xmas because santa delivers them all on xmas eve (because santa makes ALL presents...)

Well I've always had presents given to me by the person they are actually from and only the presents that are actually from santa are put in the santa sacks.

Because my husband has a million other xmas 'traditions' we have to follow every year I have put my foot down and said that only santa presents go in santa sacks and the rest of the presents go under the tree leading up to xmas.

what are your thoughts???? Has anyone heard of this strange xmas tradition before??? all the xmas films I've been watching lately, american and british, have had presents under the tree....

I think we take our childhood and traditions with us... but when we get married and have kids we have to make new traditions (ie a compromise in some cases and based on what you two want for your family).

Personally we dont have any gifts under the tree until the kids are in bed Christmas Eve - its all part of the fun and big impact coming out Christmas morning to see all the presents... bit ho hum if most presents have already been there a while. We see DHs side of the family Christmas Eve so all the aunties, uncles and grandparents exchange gifts then but at our place Christmas morning its just us (DH, me and the kids) so its mainly presents from Santa under the tree and a few from mum & dad.

Our kids know that we get gifts for people and that people other than Santa give gifts (ie we get DD1s teacher a gift, neighbours, friends and that get gifts as well). That bit seems a little odd that all presents are from Santa - people are giving and receiving gifts left right and centre at this time of year, how can you hide that from the kids smile
My Nanna's family is english and she only kept the kids presents hidden so we didn't find them before hand.
My godparents are british and still live there and have maded no mention of anything different to what we do.

all of the presents under the tree now are for other family members who we will be visiting on xmas day. Normally (well in recent years) my family xmas is done before xmas day so all of those presents are gone by xmas day. The IL's have been over seas for 6 years so their presents have been sent in the mail, and presents from them have been hidden until xmas morning when they are all put out under the tree (partly because we didn;t trust the kids not to open them before then). So it has mostly, really, just been us and the presents on xmas day.

This year the ILs are back from o'seas and all of their presents are under the tree until we see them on xmas day. The only presents the kids will have under the tree xmas morning will be santa presents because they will get the others when we do the family rounds on xmas day (oh what fun!). they will get one present on xmas eve from us (a game cos we are having a family games night and it will hopefully keep them happy), but otherwise it'll only be santa presents for them on xmas morning until we see other family. this seemed quite normal to me until my MIL made the comment and i didn't know what she was on about. My DH then said that they would bring their presents over on xmas eve so santa delivers them with everything else and they get opened here. Silly, I thought, considering we are seeing his family at lunch... surely they want to see the boys open their presents.

Plus i'm a little annoyed because this has really only been an issue now that they have come back from o'seas.

Anyway, we both agree that the tree looks so much nicer when it has presents under it!

DH gets his christmas movie, tree, decorations, music, food and boxing day traditions every year... I think I am allowed to have something!

... bit ho hum if most presents have already been there a while.
..... That bit seems a little odd that all presents are from Santa - people are giving and receiving gifts left right and centre at this time of year, how can you hide that from the kids smile

When I was a kid my parents put a little white picket fence around the tree so we could always see the presents under the tree but not get them. Xmas morning we would come out to find our santa sacks placed around the picket fence which was so exciting!! we would play with santa presents for a few hours but then dad would take away the picket fence and that was just as exciting (if not more) than finding santa presents. I think it made it feel like xmas for longer, even if we couldn't touch them, but we knew there were presents there waiting for us.

And yes, totally agree - how do you explain presents between adults but the kids only get stuff from santa???
Never heard of that and my mils side of dh's family is British. As kids mum always waited until Christmas eve before putting pressies out, my sisters loved the anticipation of Santa coming but also knew that some were from mum or each other etc. I am doing the same with dd smile (last year however I did put family members pressies out before Christmas eve but not game enough this year dd would prob unwrap them lol). Last year we opened presents from mum, dad and Santa in the morning, went to mils and opened pressies there (we spend boxing day with her family), then open more wherever we have lunch and the same for dinner. (lunch and dinner alternate between fils and with my family). So dd will always know some presents come from other people and that we give to other people too smile
My DHs family tried that one last year with our kids saying Santa left presents at their houses too. I thought how weird, but they are English so didnt think anything of it but told them if they got the kids presents this year that they came from them as Santa brings the presents to our house. And everything else is from someone.

I grew up in the uk. Both my older kids were born there...friends and relatives presses are wrapped and put under the tree.
All of the presses that we buy though are from Santa and don't turn up until Christmas day. Sucks in a way,we spend all the time and money, and the guy in the red suit takes all the glory smile

I
guess santa works for fisher price or mattel then does he!

Sign in to follow this topic