Huggies Forum

1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. General Baby Topics
  4. Celebrations - Parents (Weddings, Birthdays etc)
  5. Wedding guests pay for their meal instead of giving gifts...

Wedding guests pay for their meal instead of giving gifts... Rss

Whats the best way to go about it?

How do I add it to the invite? Or word an extra little note with the invite?

What would be a reasonable amount to ask guests to pay? (So I can pick the right menu)
[Edited on 28/09/2007]

AKA- 2_little_monkeys or 2 little angels

DF cousin added a little note in their invitations asking everyone to pay for their meals instead of gifts. They had a little poem that went something about them already having pots n pans, etc, and at the end it asked you to pay for your meal. I have been googling this to see what I could find and I all I have come up with is this..

Q - We're currently planning our wedding and are trying to keep costs down. In lieu of gifts we would like our guests to pay for their own meals. Do you know of a poem or a way in which we could put this in our invitations?

A - This is a tricky one, however you can get around it tactfully, or at least with a bit of humour! Suggestions:

To take away the 'present' worry,
tell us you can come...
Attend - instead - our wedding feast
by dishing up your meal sum!

NO GIFTS - but please send $(meal sum) (per person) if you are able to accept!

or

Your presence is our present,
so take that stress away.
Dine and dance - but we would ask -
give a hand with bill to pay!

Please - NO GIFTS - though $(meal sum) (per person on invite) if accepting of the situation!

Hope that helps

We are sending out this invitation,
And hope you will join our celebration.
If to send a gift is your intention,
In modesty we'd like to mention,
We've already got a kettle and toaster,
Crockery, clocks and even coasters.
A present for us that would be ideal
Would be the payment for your meal.
But, most importantly, we request,
That you turn up as our wedding guest

prob the best way to judge how much people would want to spend on food is guess what they would spend on a gift. I think a reasonable amount for meals would be $30-$40 per guest

Nothing to see here folks!!

Thanks Paula that is perfect!!! I'm going to use it. I googled but couldn't find anything.

AKA- 2_little_monkeys or 2 little angels

Hi
Our wedding is on 26th of januray and i made up this poem to ask the guests to pay for their meals tactfully.
"We love you all dearly, But money is tight,
So consider this please, when you read this invite.
Your presence is needed, but your presents are not.
To pay for your meal would help us alot."

I then wrote how much their meals were and that we hope we cause no offence with this request.
We are paying for the bridal party and are not asking any of the bridal party to pay for any of their attire.
Before making this decision i spoke to my mum and my mil to see how they thought the extended members of the family would feel about this request and everyone has been happy with this idea, we made a point though of keeping the cost at $20 and the kids at $6.50 we thought this was a reasonable amount that most people would pay for a gift anyway. Goodluck with your plans! when is the wedding?
PS; lots of people are doing it this way nowadays anyway.

Depends on how close you are I think. I've started given them something meaningful and a card with money.. it's so hard becauase sometimes you just really want to get them something.

The last one we went to my Husband and I got them this: https://www.theshabbyshed.com.au/collections/we... and then in the card as a theme because it's called Together I wrote it talking about their lives together.
Sign in to follow this topic