Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Sleeping advice Rss

My son is 18 months old and I have always cuddled him till her has falling asleep then put him to bed in his own bed. I am wanting to teach him how to go to sleep on his own so I will soon be able to transfer him into a single bed. I am also hoping that this will help him sleep through the night without waking.

I am looking for advice on how I can do this without much distress for my son or myself?

darey

I had to sleep train my daughter a couple of times, colds etc tend to mess it all up! What I read repeatedly is that to teach them to go to sleep by themselves you have to put them down still awake. She just turned 2 but our routine now is that we go to her bed to have bedtime bottle with stories, I'll read to her for a good 15-20mins, then we have cuddles for a few minutes until she is looking decidedly sleepy and then I put her in her bed and tuck her in. Its about creating positive associations with going to bed. After moving her to the toddler bed I had to just let her cry with the door shut a couple of times but she gave up after 30seconds, 15 seconds, one thump on the door, no trouble since then. She knows that if she cries I will come and that she can get up and come out if she needs to. Some nights of course she just doesn't want to sleep but we just have to persist with the routine and its all good.
Maybe your kid is still too young and he is afraid of being alone.
mariecena wrote:
Maybe your kid is still too young and he is afraid of being alone.

I agree with you.
Sign in to follow this topic