for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 20mth old having trouble sleeping

20mth old having trouble sleeping Rss

Our almost 20 month old is really not sleeping well. He wakes on averge 4 - 5 times a night every night!!! I have to go in & pick him up & he falls back asleep on me then i have to very carefully put him back in bed (cot) 9 times out of 10 he will wake when u put him down so u have to do it all over again, sit back down & let him fall back into a deeper sleep on you other wise he wont go down. I can take anywhere from 15 - 30mins each time he wakes to get him back t sleep. When he wakes, he sits or stands straight up & crys & crys! He will never put himself back down to sleep or even just lay down. It gets to about 2am & you cant put him back in bed, he wont let you so we put him in bed with us or just me if my hubby is working. I never sleep properly when he's in bed wit us & he tosses & turns too. I know he just want to sleep on us or with us in bed as you could try to put him down 10 times in his own bed & he wakes but as soon as you lay him in our bed he's stright of to sleep.
Yes i think this started from him getting some teeth through, his unsettleness anyway but now the bad habbits from us & him are now taken over. We both really need proper sleep. This happens every single night!
To put him to bed at night I take him into his room in the dark & he falls asleep on me, we have done this for a long time, he has always settled himself at night & slept right through so its not the fact he falls asleep on me to go to bed. The teeth are through now so ???
Any suggestions about ways to resettle when he does wake,with out controll crying & standing over him, laying him down or shushing for half the night as i have tryed in the past & not worked? I am a pretty patient person but he is as stubborn as stubborn.
It now effects his day sleep, he will wake after half hour & thats it for the day so as you can see he's not sleepoing much which equals unhappy buba during the day.

Mine have all had cuddllies also when they get like that at night I sing loudly and badly and pat the back in the dark, or step away and sing so i am not touching depending on the rage, something like abcdefg etc long or a action one gets his attention then i quickly move onto something else,

another idea is having music play in the room,. or the hall light on ?

Mine have all had cuddllies also when they get like that at night I sing loudly and badly and pat the back in the dark, or step away and sing so i am not touching depending on the rage, something like abcdefg etc long or a action one gets his attention then i quickly move onto something else,

another idea is having music play in the room,. or the hall light on ?

Thank you, worthy suggestions, I will try them all lol! Anything to get us both sleeping agian.

Sign in to follow this topic