Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

A little Advice Rss

My Daughter is 2yrs and 3mnths old.

She has started to associate the toilet with doing wee wee's etc etc... but she is in the habit of doing a wee then telling me after that she needs to go to the toilet!

I take her nappy off and put her on the toilet anyway but she says "all gone in nappy".

Does anyone have some tips on how i can get her to tell me before she decides to "go" in her nappy?
Hi

My daughter is almost 3 yrs old, but I found when she was toilet training (and doing something similar to your daughter), I just went cold turkey. I took the nappy off her and put knickers on and just let her go that way. Be prepared to wipe up the mess, but your daughter is obviously aware when she is doing it. You just need to get the message that she goes to the toilet.

She is almost there though if she recognising the signs. Good luck!

Jezamin, WA, Dempsey 28/03/06, Isla 25/04/08

Hi. If your daughter is able to tell you she needs to do wee after the fact, celebrate it. This means she is becoming aware of her bodily functions. This stage takes a while, but as Jezamin said, you can choose to take the nappy off as she may not like the sensation of wee running down her leg. However, chances are she just doesn't know BEFORE she needs to do a wee yet and all you'll get is wet floors and frustrated with her. I'd persevere, praising her for letting you know she weed and keeping on putting her on the toilet anyway so she associates the toilet with the wee. When my daughter was going through this stage I thought she'd never know beforehand when she needs to go, but honestly she learnt within a few months. In the meantime, remind her to go to the toilet regularly. I used to remind my daughter every hour at first, then stretched it out to 1 and a half, 2 etc etc until she could do it herself(over several weeks). She is 3 and a half now and we haven't had wet pants for what seems like forever! Good luck.

Sharyn,NSW

Hi. If your daughter is able to tell you she needs to do wee after the fact, celebrate it. This means she is becoming aware of her bodily functions. This stage takes a while, but as Jezamin said, you can choose to take the nappy off as she may not like the sensation of wee running down her leg. However, chances are she just doesn't know BEFORE she needs to do a wee yet and all you'll get is wet floors and frustrated with her. I'd persevere, praising her for letting you know she weed and keeping on putting her on the toilet anyway so she associates the toilet with the wee. When my daughter was going through this stage I thought she'd never know beforehand when she needs to go, but honestly she learnt within a few months. In the meantime, remind her to go to the toilet regularly. I used to remind my daughter every hour at first, then stretched it out to 1 and a half, 2 etc etc until she could do it herself(over several weeks). She is 3 and a half now and we haven't had wet pants for what seems like forever! Good luck.

Sharyn,NSW

Thank you ladies i appreciate the help xx
You can also do things like put her on the potty/toilet at regular intervals in the day when she is likely to do a wee. eg. as soon as she wakes up in the morning, before and after a bath and any other time you find she regularly goes. By making sitting on the potty fun, she is more likely to want to use it.

All the best!
Sign in to follow this topic