for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Caring for your Toddler
  5. toddler getting arms out of child car restraint

toddler getting arms out of child car restraint Lock Rss

Hi - my 22mth old is getting his arms out of the car child restraint regardless of how tight I have it fitted. He is in a forward facing position. Does anyone have any suggestions?
hey
oh ive had the same problem with my son since about that age! he is now 3 and a half and every now and again he will do it when he is havn a tanty.
there wasn't a lot i could do...i just kept pulling over and putting his arms back in, talked to him about it and distracted him with other things like soft toys to play with, a book, talking about things outside the window etc.
you can get soft covers that clip over the restraint to make it softer...you could use them and then make the restraint a bit tighter maybe as it would be soft and not hurt them.
best of luck.

Danni, WA,

My DD is 21 months and every now and again she has been doing this. When she does I pull over and put her arms in properly again and tell her off. It's really annoying when I have to stop repeatedly but I would rather that than not have her in her seat properly.

There are clips you can buy that go sort of join the two shoulder straps together so they can't be pulled apart. The baby stores should have them. My DD isn't bad enough to need one but if she keeps doing it I was going to get one for her.

Another thing to check (if you haven't already) is that the shoulder straps are at the right height. If they're too low it will feel like the straps are pulled tight enough but there will be enough give in them for little arms to get out.

Karen, DS1 31/8/03, DD 12/3/07, DS2 16/12/09

Hi Karen & Danni - thanks so much for your comments. I've looked into the shoulder strap thing and it looks like it will solve the problem. Thanks a million - jane
Sign in to follow this topic