Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

It makes me soooo MAD. Lock Rss

Hi Ladies,

Well my 19 month old has decided the last week or so that he won't eat his vegies. I use to be able to give him his fork with meat and veg on it and he would eat the lot BUT now he just eats the meat and wont touch the veg.

So this make me mad because i don't have much spare time and i seem to spend it all cooking meals that don't get eaten.

He will no longer eat mashed food, casseroles or that type of thing because he thinks that is baby food so i can't hide the veg that way either, even Chicken Mornay which he use to love and i use to put heaps of veg in it he will now no longer eat.

I wont cook two meals for him, so if he does not eat what i offer him the first time then he goes hungry (i am not worried about this as he is in the 97th %ile for his age in weight, so he is a big boy and it would take skippy alot of meals to hinder him.)

He also seems to change what he will and wont eat in general all the time, one minute he loves something the next minute he wont touch it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Cass
It can also be a control thing. Watch some super nanny... I can't remember her technique, but we used it with DD1 and it worked. But I can't remember what I did..... I wont need to worry about that with DD2 tho! She's a food machine! Good luck and I hope it passes soon.
I really believe that if you do not push it, and do not force them to eat if they are turning it down, but only provide nutritious food to them -- they will eat what they need, and it won't take long for them to get back on track.
I have had this trouble with my little fella. He's gone super fussy! I still put it on the plate. He also eats a lot of fruit, and some raw veg. I give him what he does eat. I have had luck with pies with veg in, spag bol, koftas, meatballs, all with veg in. Making meal time a bit fun with those kiddie chopsticks, and kebabs. Also invite other toddlers for dinner, or eat at their house and praise the other toddler for eating so well. Otherwise I am over getting stressed and making meal time stressful. If I kept a diary of a weeks worth of food, he would be getting a wide and varied diet, and as you say he's growing well and everything else is on track then don't stress yourself. Also that first year we shovel it in them as they have to double-triple their weight, then after that they only put on a few kilo's a year. So naturally their appetite would decrease. Good luck.

I really believe that if you do not push it, and do not force them to eat if they are turning it down, but only provide nutritious food to them -- they will eat what they need, and it won't take long for them to get back on track.

Agreed. DS was a great eater and I never have had a prolem. DD however had a rough patch of fusiness and I just didn't push or force her to eat. I also didnt let her see it was getting to me (and boy it did), she got back on track after a few weeks and is a wonderful eater.

Good luck, try and relax. Yes it's easier said than done smile

Have a look into the recipe book 'deceptively delicious' and also look at the sneaky chef. They'll probably be at your local library. They both offer ways to 'hide' vegies into food. At least then you won't be worried about his nutrition. Good luck!
if it is of a major concern, maybe a toddler vitamin supplement until this stage is passed?

just an idea smile

i know what you mean with fussy eaters, very FRUSTRATING!

Good luck
Sign in to follow this topic