Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

15month old naughty and he knows it Lock Rss

DS is 15 months old and for a week now he has been acting naughty. He touches the rubbish bin, plays with the nozzles on the oven, continously crying for the remotes and cellphones that are put up high and also toucing th efire screen. he knows that he is not allowed to touch these things but as soon as i disappear to go to the bathroom etc he will go for exmale go to the oven and quietly touch all the nozzles and as he looks over his back to see when im coming.
I dont realy know how to stop it as he knows he shouldnt. i pick him up and take hm to tthe toy box and distract but he has this big crying tantrum while i take him away from whatever he is doing. i say 'No' and take him away.
I think hes still too young to use some of the displine that is used on a 2 year old as they understand more.
Anyone have any ideas i could use?

DS is 15 months old and for a week now he has been acting naughty. He touches the rubbish bin, plays with the nozzles on the oven, continously crying for the remotes and cellphones that are put up high and also toucing th efire screen. he knows that he is not allowed to touch these things but as soon as i disappear to go to the bathroom etc he will go for exmale go to the oven and quietly touch all the nozzles and as he looks over his back to see when im coming.
I dont realy know how to stop it as he knows he shouldnt. i pick him up and take hm to tthe toy box and distract but he has this big crying tantrum while i take him away from whatever he is doing. i say 'No' and take him away.
I think hes still too young to use some of the displine that is used on a 2 year old as they understand more.
Anyone have any ideas i could use?

Hey my 12 month. Old reaching / wanting remotes/ mobile phones/ house phone

I don't. Think he understands I Don't want him to have them
I too have taken them off him. Told him no!

I got him some toy ones so when I the family ones he has his.

Not sure what esle I can do

Glad I'm not the only one who child does this.
If find a solution. Please share with me

Good luck
He may well think it's a game if he is looking over his shoulder and waiting to see you coming and catch him. My DD did this for a while too.

I just made sure it was not a big deal, just took her away, told her no. And left it at that, if a tantrum came out of it, I ignore or gently distract.

This kind of behaviour isn't really 'naughty' it's just normal, intelligent kids testing boundaries. They grow out if it pretty quickly.

It's completely normal behaviour!!

My 16 month old doesnt keep her hands off much & she's interested in things that look like she shouldnt play with.

At 15 months he's driven by curiosity and will touch anything he wants to whether you tell him he can or can't. It's their way of learning about the world around them. He can't yet grasp the concept of why he's not allowed to touch these things or why it bothers you so much, and has a short memory so he probably wont remember he wasnt allowed to touch it last time.

As Clax said, they grow out of it quick (though some, not so quick) just continue distracting him, guiding him onto something he is allowed to play with & dont make a big deal out of it. The less fuss you make about it, the less attention he gets from it. Telling him off or punishment wont help at all.
Your baby is not being naughty...I can assure you that.

They are exploring! They don't understand that the bin is yucky or that they can't use your electronic equipment...Especially when they see you guys using them!

Just make an effort to remain completely normal...walk up to your DS and remove him from whatever he is doing. Firmly tell him why he shouldn't play with it and distract him with something he can play with. He will get the idea eventually but at 15 months just doesn't have the ability to know he is 'misbehaving'. He will learn in time.

Good luck.
Sign in to follow this topic