Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Toddler Independence?? Lock Rss

So recently my DD who is 2.5 has learnt how to open the fridge etc, just wondering, do we allow them to get food out themselves? She has her snack food at arms reach in the pantry and she sometimes goes and gets what she wants but hubby doesnt want her to do it. What do you all think? Do i allow her to be more independent and get the food she wants to eat or do i make her ask me for food??
Junk food isnt a problem as we have that self very high up.

Thanks

So recently my DD who is 2.5 has learnt how to open the fridge etc, just wondering, do we allow them to get food out themselves? She has her snack food at arms reach in the pantry and she sometimes goes and gets what she wants but hubby doesnt want her to do it. What do you all think? Do i allow her to be more independent and get the food she wants to eat or do i make her ask me for food??
Junk food isnt a problem as we have that self very high up.

Thanks

Im 50/50 on this. Id be getting her to ask for something to eat and then allowing her to get it herself with supervision. A friend of mine did that with her ds and he started just going and snacking all the time which lead to not wanting his main meals. Or he would go and get something but not actually want to eat it. I think its great he can do it but I dont think its healthy to snack all day. Other wise when would he eat meat and vege?
Good luck any way

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

If l let my 2 DS's help themselves to snacks, they would snack all day and never eat a main meal. When it's morning / afternoon tea time, l let them choose between 2 options. They can then get it themselves if they can.

Personally I think that eating many small meals instead of 3 large big ones is better. I put food that I am happy for them to have at their level in the fridge and pantry. In the fridge I might make up bowls of fruit, vegie sticks, sliced cheese, dried fruit, water bottles etc and they can graze as they like. I found they are fine at self regulating, they still eat dinner and they have a good intake of vegies and fruit!
Sign in to follow this topic