Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Lactose free formula Rss

HI I was just wanting to know what all you mummies or daddies out there use if using lactose free formula ?
REASON 4 THE QUESTION ?I recently have been told I cant have any dairy or soy products & when seeing my dietician I asked if my kids could end up with this problem well her answer was yes! so she gave me a tin of neocate to try & what do u know my daughter & wasnt having big runny poo's straight after having feeds & her appetit increased, My Gp doesnt want me to take her complete;y of dairy but suggested tyring lactose free products wooohooo its working she had gained 1kg (weight she really needed) hasnt been sick with chest infections in over a 6wks or so, I cant believe the difference it has made but would really love to hear what formula's you have treid as im using s26 lactose free but find it doesnt mix really well, we also use zamil( ithink thats how u spell it ) fresh lactose free milk on her ceral's & for cooking for her
Thanks smile

HI I was just wanting to know what all you mummies or daddies out there use if using lactose free formula ?
REASON 4 THE QUESTION ?I recently have been told I cant have any dairy or soy products & when seeing my dietician I asked if my kids could end up with this problem well her answer was yes! so she gave me a tin of neocate to try & what do u know my daughter & wasnt having big runny poo's straight after having feeds & her appetit increased, My Gp doesnt want me to take her complete;y of dairy but suggested tyring lactose free products wooohooo its working she had gained 1kg (weight she really needed) hasnt been sick with chest infections in over a 6wks or so, I cant believe the difference it has made but would really love to hear what formula's you have treid as im using s26 lactose free but find it doesnt mix really well, we also use zamil( ithink thats how u spell it ) fresh lactose free milk on her ceral's & for cooking for her
Thanks smile

I used Karicare DeLact lactose free formula, you can get it from priceline (much cheaper than from the chemist) at around $16 a tin. I only used it at times when my youngest had gastro, she had several bouts of it in her first 12 months and was always lactose intolerant for a week or two - regular formula would go straight through her.
Hi

I used Karicare DeLact for my DS1, too. I never had any difficulty with it - except at one point I was not able to obtain it anywhere. I contacted the company and they express posted me 2 tins free. smile Fantastic customer service!

If it is medically necessary long-term for your DD, speak to your GP about writing a script for you. I bought DS's on script (4 1/2 years ago now), and used to get 5 tins for around $30.
My daughter is 16 weeks old and is allergic to cows milk. She was 7 weeks early and as I am allergic to milk also, I changed her to S26 Lactose free while she was still in hospital which seem to be a lot easier to digest. But when I got her home I found it hard to mix and she was very constipated. I saw her GP and he suggested Karicare as it was more like breast milk and easier to mix. I now have her on Karicare Pepti Junior and get 8 tins on a script for around $30. She is alot happier, less wind and put on 700gm in 2 weeks. Her appetite has increased. You can use it from birth and is pre-digested. I dont know if you can just buy it over the counter or you need a script, but Karicare is easier to mix.
I use the s26 one, and Zymil for fresh milk for DS. Might have to try that Karicare one though, sounds much cheaper. Peadiatrician also recommended to give my DS probiotics to help DS tummy and I think it's helped.
[quote name='sandyky' date='05 September 2011 - 04:08 PM' timestamp='1315202918' post='3055091'] [font="Trebuchet MS"][/font]Morning, I use Karicare DeLact for my daughter. As she is lactose intolerant I have it on perscription. I can mix it in her bottle with cooled boiled water or even just plain cold water. I tend to put half the water content in and give it a good mix before I put in the total amount. I find that this formula has been the best as it doesnt affect my daughters tummy and even though she is 16 months, she is still able to have it as it has enough vitamins and minerals for her.
Thanks Ladies im on my last couple of days of the s26 now but will definatley be trying the karicare de lact nxt s26 really doesnt mix well, I did read somewhere that if i mixed it with very cold water it would mix easier it does mix easier but not completely still need to shake the life out of it to mix,
When we see the dr nxt I may have to ask her for the script 4 it ( even though I know she will say we have to go see a pead to get script & tested ) & tell her about the weight gain & no chest infedctions wich she will be able to see as we havent needed to see her ofr a while!
I used S26 and didn't have any troubles with it. There is also Lidells in yogurt and long life milks.

Has anyone had much luck with reducing their lactose intake when breastfeeding?
So is your DD still on Neocate? My DS has been on Neocate for a few months now, and the difference is amazing.

He was bf for 13m & we were on an elimination diet, until we found out the cause of his previously diagnosed reflux. Cows milk protein & soy intolerance!!! Go figure!!!

It really depends on your DD's symptoms, as to which formula she should be on.

Hope all is going well!
Hi, I used s26 with DS1 and had no side effects.

Are you planning on using formula for a while still? As I was starting to wean DS1 off formula I was advised by my pharmacist that if you can get your GP to write up a script, you can buy in bulk for a fraction of the price. Something to look into...
Is there a toddler formula that is lactose free? And I'm a bit super fussy but either Aussie made or nz made?
Is there a toddler formula that is lactose free? And I'm a bit super fussy but either Aussie made or nz made?
Sign in to follow this topic