for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler's Growth and Development
  5. Speaks in the third person - nearly 3yo

Speaks in the third person - nearly 3yo Rss

My nearly 3yo can string a number of words together but refers to himself as the third person eg. "Can Jack have a drink" or "Jack sit there" instead of "Can I have a drink" etc? He has learnt this from us as we've always said things like, "Come and sit with Mum" or "Come here and show Dad". I can't recall DS1 doing this - has anyone else?

My nearly 3yo can string a number of words together but refers to himself as the third person eg. "Can Jack have a drink" or "Jack sit there" instead of "Can I have a drink" etc? He has learnt this from us as we've always said things like, "Come and sit with Mum" or "Come here and show Dad". I can't recall DS1 doing this - has anyone else?

I have a 3 year old and she is the same. We correct her all the time and she sometimes says "I want..." etc but most of the time she uses her name. Its very frustrating. I am actually due to see her Paedatrician next month (regarding a few other issues) but am planning on speaking to him about her speech as although she is a good clear speaker and says all her words correctly, she is not that great at constructing sentances, will leave out words or mix words around the wrong way and of course uses her name!! Not sure if they will grow out of that with constant corrections by us?? Would be interested in hearing anyones elses stories.
Sign in to follow this topic