Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more

Teaching the alphabet. Rss

My DD is 4 and I am having trouble teaching her the letters in the alphabet, she knows how to sing it but can only recognise 3 or 4 letters from it.

Does anyone have any advise on how to teach her??
repetition repetition repetition tongue

Flash cards

Dr Suesses ABC's grin
Other ABC books
Puzzle

I have all these and they seemed to have worked on my kids.
they learn a lot of this at kinder and prep, so don't stress about it. But you can help her along by pointing at signs when your walking or shopping like look that name starts with a G for example. Or when your reading. Also get some alphabet books and puzzles. But like i said, don't stress.

they learn a lot of this at kinder and prep, so don't stress about it. But you can help her along by pointing at signs when your walking or shopping like look that name starts with a G for example. Or when your reading. Also get some alphabet books and puzzles. But like i said, don't stress.

I agree with flappy and someone. As Long as you are familiarising them with books and numbers it's all good. Is there anything she is interested in? Dd1 as a book on the human body that we read to her. Also flash cards are great if they enjoy them.
She is in kindy this year, I was just thinking about trying to help her along at home, as alot of the kids in the class are writing there names and she is a little upset she can't.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have just brought flash cards and do have alphabet books, so I'll see how we go from here.

She is in kindy this year, I was just thinking about trying to help her along at home, as alot of the kids in the class are writing there names and she is a little upset she can't.

Thanks for the suggestions, I have just brought flash cards and do have alphabet books, so I'll see how we go from here.

perhaps she has other skills she can do, but the others can't. focus on that so she doesn't feel so upset. smile
Since she's already in kindy, why don't you ask her teacher for some ideas that you can help her with at home. While you don't need to rush the learning, if she's upset and wants to write her name etc, then it's a good time to teach. I'm sure her teachers will give you some suggestions.
Hi, try this website www.readingeggs.com.au - you can get a 2 week free trial, my DS has been doing it as a reward for reading so well - I'm considering subscribing to it when the trial is over, you can get the educational workbooks as well as reading books and flashcards etc (we got ours at the post office but they don't all stock it).

My DD is 3 (and extremely JEALOUS of DS learning to read) She had a go the other night and absolutely LOVED it and did fantastic - I or DH do it with both of them (my computer is too precious for them to wreck it!!! LOL) but she did better than I would have ever thought.

[img]

you can buy those reading egg books from news agents too.
On another note I don't think writing her name has too much to do with knowing the alphabet either.

Judd doesn't know his alphabet - he's just not interested and I'm not pushing him. Now at this stage he doesn't want to write his name but he can type it out in Word. He can do his first name easily and is almost mastering his surname (and for anyone that has me on facebook and has noticed my hubby's surname you'll understand that's a good effort lol).

I would suggest doing up some pages of her name in dotted font so she can trace over it and get the hang of the shape of the letters in her name.

Just work on familiarising her with the letters in her name to start with - as that is what is important to her and therefore she'll be more eager to learn.

Good luck.

there is a website you can do that on but the name escapes me. google might find it.

there is a website you can do that on but the name escapes me. google might find it.

hehe I know I did it for Judd ages ago and I think I saved it to my favourites but it's on the other computer - I'll have a look when I get to it later smile

Sign in to follow this topic