for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. Son getting bullyed at daycare

Son getting bullyed at daycare Rss

my 4yr old son has been getting punched and hit by a little boy for the last couple of weeks now. im not sure whether the boy does it to others too but its getting to my son.
ive told him to say 'stop' and tell the teacher, Isaac (the bully) is put in time out but continues his behaviour regardless.
My son is not smaller than the other kids but wears glasses (which he has not been teased for) and i cant understand why he is being targeted, other than the fact he is abit of a softy.
The last two days at daycare he has come home really upset and for the first time in months wants to come home early as he misses us.
Anyway, what can we do together to stop this bully, we will not teach him to fight back or anything stupid but just words he can use to give this boy a fright, and to teach him how to be abit empowered i suppose.
He is off to school next year and it worries me.
How do kids not get bullied? i have never had to deal with it before and it makes me really hurt for kids who are subject to it every day and nothing gets done! Do you have to teach your kid to be a hard ass so they are not targeted? i dont get it!
thanks in advance and sorry for the book lol
Hi!

Sorry to hear your son is getting picked on, hopefully it wont last. Whilst I personally havent had this problem yet ( fingers crossed I wont)but a friend of mind was told to get her son, also 4 to tell the boy he was a bully (because labelling works aparently) and that bullies will not have friends. seemed to work for them.

otherwise, I am not sure. goodluck
I would be asking a lot of questions to the daycare. Go and see his teacher and the director, it's up to us parents to be the child's voice if they can't say it themselves. Ask them what system do the have in place when a child is mean to another. In the kindy my kids went to they tell the child to put their hand up and say in a strong voice 'stop it, I don't like it!'

As parents we pay a lot of money to put our kids in a business' care, it is their duty to provide a safe environment with our kids when we leave them, you need to address the issue with the kindy.
I dont know if your child is actually being 'bullied' as such. The child hitting your son obviously has some issues, but I dont know if it is directly related to your son as such. The way you are dealing with it sounds like the way to go, I would also be asking the childcare wrorkers to be keeping an each eye on this child so he doesn't thurt the other children.

As for how to stop your child being bullied i think that is the million dollar question. The best thing I think you can do is build a strong relationship with your child so he knows he can talk to you if anything happens, then you can apporach the school and put a plan into place.

Kids can be horrible at times, just yesterday I had to drag my grade 4's across the coals for picking on a kinder girl, yep they were making a 5 yo cry for amusement, makes me so crabby.

my 4yr old son has been getting punched and hit by a little boy for the last couple of weeks now. im not sure whether the boy does it to others too but its getting to my son.
ive told him to say 'stop' and tell the teacher, Isaac (the bully) is put in time out but continues his behaviour regardless.
My son is not smaller than the other kids but wears glasses (which he has not been teased for) and i cant understand why he is being targeted, other than the fact he is abit of a softy.
The last two days at daycare he has come home really upset and for the first time in months wants to come home early as he misses us.
Anyway, what can we do together to stop this bully, we will not teach him to fight back or anything stupid but just words he can use to give this boy a fright, and to teach him how to be abit empowered i suppose.
How do kids not get bullied? i have never had to deal with it before and it makes me really hurt for kids who are subject to it every day and nothing gets done! Do you have to teach your kid to be a hard ass so they are not targeted? i dont get it!

Hi

I would give him the words and actions to use to stand up for himself... so if the kid hits him for instance tell your son to say in a big voice "don't hit me!" and he must go to the daycare worker and tell them.

If the child is coming at him and looks like he's going to hit or punch him tell your son to hold his hand up and say "stop!! don't hit me, its not ok!!".

I've done this with my 5 year old, there's a boy in her kindy class that seemed to always hassle her when school began, including putting her down, pushing her and burping in her face. She'd tell me about these things and I'd tell her it was wrong and that she shouldnt let him do these things to her... she should say in a big voice "no, dont do .... " (whatever it was) and tell the teacher. I also told her to say to this kid "if you havent got anything nice to say then dont say anything!". I also paid attention to the tone of voice when teaching her what to say, raise your voice and be assertive.

My telling her it was wrong and giving her words to use empowered her to stand up for herself and this kid moved on to someone else. The teacher is onto him but some kids are just like this and they will pick a child that doesnt stand up for themselves.

I'd also speak to the daycare worker as well and let them know your son is really unhappy, its their duty of care to look after him and he has to know that they will and feel safe at daycare.

Hi

I would be looking at your daycare and asking for answer putting a child in time out is not allowed in childcare centre so sounds like the centre is not doing the right thing by either child.

Find a new childcare centre.

Hi

I would be looking at your daycare and asking for answer putting a child in time out is not allowed in childcare centre so sounds like the centre is not doing the right thing by either child.

Find a new childcare centre.

i have worked in plenty of day care centers...and most of them have used time out....have they changed the ruling or something? aren't they allowed to do that any more?

I too would be approaching the carers and even the director and finding out whats going on.... be on their case too.
Hi i am sure the pre school is well aware that the other child is hitting etc, i wouldn't put it into the bulling part due to he is 4. at 4 boys sometimes don't have the word and will hit each other and this needs to be noted down.

personally i would be teaching to stand up for himself and if someone hit to hit back, especially as at school there arn't so many kids in the playground

i am sure if you ask the pre school there will be actions put in place already, however just like at home sometimes things happen quickly. i would ask if there is a action plan in place,

also why don't you go and stay with your son for a while, and see what he gets up to most of the time, i would imagine its a small snipet of his day,

(i am a ece in NZ) and i know sometimes how parents feel is happening isn't actually happening its just that we have to tell parents about those things and it can have a pattern sometimes

i have worked in plenty of day care centers...and most of them have used time out....have they changed the ruling or something? aren't they allowed to do that any more?

I too would be approaching the carers and even the director and finding out whats going on.... be on their case too.

time out in our centre means sitting with a teacher, boring doing nothing

time out in our centre means sitting with a teacher, boring doing nothing

There have been new national guidelines implemented, no negative reinforcement, including timeout, is allowed. Any carer who doesn't abide by this and is reported will be fined by the Department for Child Protection. It is really tough for the childcare workers now because it has been a pretty sudden change and I don't think ratios have changed to keep up with the new rules, but staff training is gradually improving too.

I think if a 4 year old is getting hit at childcare, the carers probably are busy with other things at the time, and it is a difficult ratio. I'd be taking it up with the centre and letting them know I was immensely unhappy about it. Due to the new rules, the centre is supposed to remove problem kids from the centre if the parents cannot fix it themselves, in order to keep kids safe.

(Feel free to correct me if the guidelines are not yet fully implemented or are not applicable to every centre).

There have been new national guidelines implemented, no negative reinforcement, including timeout, is allowed. Any carer who doesn't abide by this and is reported will be fined by the Department for Child Protection. It is really tough for the childcare workers now because it has been a pretty sudden change and I don't think ratios have changed to keep up with the new rules, but staff training is gradually improving too.

I think if a 4 year old is getting hit at childcare, the carers probably are busy with other things at the time, and it is a difficult ratio. I'd be taking it up with the centre and letting them know I was immensely unhappy about it. Due to the new rules, the centre is supposed to remove problem kids from the centre if the parents cannot fix it themselves, in order to keep kids safe.

(Feel free to correct me if the guidelines are not yet fully implemented or are not applicable to every centre).

we dont call it time out roll eyes its time to calm down and resettle boring sitting chilling doing nothing,
Sign in to follow this topic