Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Switch to Nappy-Pants

for toilet training!

Learn more
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Toddler
  4. Your Toddler - General Chat
  5. Help my toddlers wont give up bottles

Help my toddlers wont give up bottles Rss

I have two DD aged 3 and 2 and I want to wean them off bed time bottles. I have got them drinking out of cups during the day but they refuse go use cups before bed. I live with my Mother and she always takes them bottles after I ask her not to. They scream and cry till she does bring them one and they fall too sleep drinking it. I have also tried using sippy cups and just giving them a drink before bed and letting them cry it out but they are still awake asking for a bottle an hour later and thats when mum takes them the bottle.

Please any suggestions would be greatly apparciated!

Thanks
Ana

Easter Bunny is taking ours to give to someone else who needs them. Only way we could get rid of ours. Bit late for that for you tho. sad

Could try another holiday tho?
My 1st I changed him to a sippy cup at 20 mths he had no problem with it, with 2nd 13 mths she kept pushing the teat into the bottle, so one night gave her a sippy cup told her no more bottles bottles for little babies, she took it, same with 3rd but at 12 mths, got youngest to go yet (10mths, I hate bottles) but cant find sippy cups latley that dont leak, had a few non leak ones that all leak.

jade82

I have two DD aged 3 and 2 and I want to wean them off bed time bottles. I have got them drinking out of cups during the day but they refuse go use cups before bed. I live with my Mother and she always takes them bottles after I ask her not to. They scream and cry till she does bring them one and they fall too sleep drinking it. I have also tried using sippy cups and just giving them a drink before bed and letting them cry it out but they are still awake asking for a bottle an hour later and thats when mum takes them the bottle.

Please any suggestions would be greatly apparciated!

Thanks
Ana

Hi, Reading this sounds just like me. I have a 2 1/2 year DS that want give his bottle up. He's so addicted to it that he screams if he doesn't have it. He will drink out of a cup and a sippy cup but he's so bad that he needs it to even watch T.V. I also have a DD that's 9 months old and he pinches her bottle when were not looking. You'll find him hiding in his room with it. It's really bad and I've tried taking the bottle of him but with out any luck. He just screams and I end up giving it back to him. I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions on how to get them to give it up. But just wanted to share my experience with my son and hopefully someone might have some really good suggestions because I'm open to trying just about anything.
My 1st I changed him to a sippy cup at 20 mths he had no problem with it, with 2nd 13 mths she kept pushing the teat into the bottle, so one night gave her a sippy cup told her no more bottles, bottles are for little babies, she took it, same with 3rd but at 12 mths, got youngest to go yet (10mths, I hate bottles) but cant find sippy cups latley that dont leak, had a few non leak ones that all leak.

jade82

my daughter is 21 months and has a bottle before bed but i won't let her take it to bed then teething gel and a dummy, so if you're giving cold bottles for bed it may be teeth annoying them and thats why they're sooking for a bottle? just an idea...
You could get rid of all the bottles in the house and then your mum won't be able to give them one. It sounds like a difficult situation if you aren't getting the support to wean them off the bottles.
I havn't 'been there done that' as ds never had bottles, but could you try putting water in the bedtime bottles?

Hi there
I took bottles away from my twins at 14 mths (now 15 mths) as i too hated them. They would push the teats in and of course milk everywhere.
Had tried just about every sippy cup but they all tend to spill some way or another. Just got the AVENT toddler sipper and LOVE it.
It is a screw top that doesn't leak and the girls love it smile
I started using sippy cups in the morning and then just threw the bottles out. Bit of tough love im afraid. Im with Nodrog if there aren't any bottle in the house you mother cant give them. Don't think i would be so polite to my mother though if she wasn't doing what i asked with my own child.
Good luck
my 3.5 year old still has one and to be perfectly honest i don't really care how long she has it for ,,,, she is happy and has it and goes to sleep happy, and goes to sleep quickly also.... doesn't mean she will be going to school with one...
Hehe - I really should admit that DD still has a bottle and I'm not planning on giving them up any time soon! I had one myself until I was about 4!! I used to HATE bottles, but then since I got a dishwasher it isn't really a hassle cleaning them etc. The thing is, it should be your choice whether or not you want to stop and it sounds as though your choice isn't really coming into it.
Thanks for your ideas! We are 'giving' our bottles to the bottle fairy next sunday morning for new babies to use!

Sign in to follow this topic