Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Books on labour Lock Rss

Hi all,
Pregnant with my second child, currently 19 weeks along. My first labour was fairly straightforward, no traumas or anything other than the usual life changing now understanding the "you've never been through labour before" phrase.
Can anyone reccomend any books on labour, like relaxing techniques etc, I don't plan on using pain relief and am nervous at the thought of going through it all again. I also have a friend who has had a traumatic experience and would like to be able to reccomend some to her. Definately coming from the approach of natural birthing, but nothing 'new agey' as I'm christian. Any help would be appreciated.
Hi, i am a Christian too smile i have had 4 natural labours with no pain relief and im now 27 weeks preg with number 5. I have not long finished reading a book called 'Birth Skills' by Juju Sundin and Sarah Murdoch. I highly recommend it. A number of ladies in my due april group have read it too, and also highly recommend it.
I'm not sure why some books on labour wouldn't be compatible with your Christian beliefs?!
You could try Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin.
Ruby Gloom, there are lots of books that could go against our beliefs. Things like using charms, hypnobirthing, etc
i read this book while pregnant and loved it
The Complete Book of Pregnancy and Childbirth – Sheila Kitzinger

Kel'sblessings wrote:
Ruby Gloom, there are lots of books that could go against our beliefs. Things like using charms, hypnobirthing, etc

Hypnobirthing? I'm a Christian too but I can't understand why anyone would have issue with hypnobirthing.
~Ruby~Gloom~ wrote:
I'm not sure why some books on labour wouldn't be compatible with your Christian beliefs?!
You could try Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin.

+1 its a awesome book to read if your planning on natural birth

Thanks for the replies, will check out some of those books, if anyone else is looking, I also checked out the product review website and some people have commented on some more so if anyone else is looking for some books, check out their website, I rarely make a big purchase without checking there first, especially with all the baby stuff out on the market, mind you they do all sorts of things.

As far as the christian comment, well I was kind of referring to the way some books talk about finding peace and relaxation. I know a non-christian would not want me coming up to them and telling them the only way they will find complete peace is with God, and I respect that, in return I don't want someone else telling me all these other ways through an entire book when that's not what I believe. When you want advice about something, you're going to go to someone you trust and probably someone in a similar situation, I wouldn't necessarily be asking a teenage boy what's good on tv because chances are we'll have dissimilar tastes, I wouldn't disregard his opinion, but I'm more likely to go to someone I know with similar interests.

As a general comment, I have found since having my first child I am a lot more sensitive to what I watch as far as movies and tv go, swearing and violence really bother me, maybe it's because I'm aware of what I want my son to be watching- not that he really watches much at this age, although fireman sam has caught his attention so he got a fire truck for christmas.
JellybeanIcecream wrote:
I think (though correct ne if I'm wrong) the issue is that some Christians are opposed to hypnotism as it is apparently seen to leave a person vulnerable to evil influences.

For the record, hypnobirthing really isn't hypnotism...it's more about learning relaxation techniques to help you relax through contractions. Basically, self-guided meditation, which has a lot in common with prayer.

But each to their own - good luck finding a book that suits you.

I agree with what you're saying, I don't have a problem with meditation, I think it's good, but it does make a difference about what you meditate on.
JellybeanIcecream wrote:
I think (though correct ne if I'm wrong) the issue is that some Christians are opposed to hypnotism as it is apparently seen to leave a person vulnerable to evil influences.

For the record, hypnobirthing really isn't hypnotism...it's more about learning relaxation techniques to help you relax through contractions. Basically, self-guided meditation, which has a lot in common with prayer.

But each to their own - good luck finding a book that suits you.

This. hypno birthing is not hypnotism. its relaxation.
Kel'sblessings wrote:
Hi, i am a Christian too smile i have had 4 natural labours with no pain relief and im now 27 weeks preg with number 5. I have not long finished reading a book called 'Birth Skills' by Juju Sundin and Sarah Murdoch. I highly recommend it. A number of ladies in my due april group have read it too, and also highly recommend it.

Hi i totally recommend this book also. i read it for my 1st and had a great natural labour, reread it for my 2nd and used its techniques to have a great water birth where I delivered bub myself and am rereading it at moment for my 3rd due in 2wks. Not that it matters but I am a christian too and JuJu's techniques are all "above board" for lack of better words. i wasnt a christian for my first two births, I feel so empowered this time knowing Jesus has got my back. xo

I've just had a look on MightyApe and there are two "Birth Skills" books by both authors, is one recommended more than the other? My sis is due before me, and I reckon she'd like this book if other Christian ladies have too smile

Birth Skills Class - http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Book/Birth-S...

Birth Skills - http://www.mightyape.co.nz/product/Book/Birth-S...

My beautiful baby boy wss born 18 July 2013

Sign in to follow this topic