Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Best Book EVER Rss

another one that got me in from start to finish was

go ask alice

Oh I remember reading Go ask Aliceat school I loved that book

The Wheel of Time Series - Robert Jordan - best series of fantasy fiction ever to be published.

I used to think that it was. Have read better (and worse) since. Here's hoping for A Memory of Light to finally come out this year so that we can all be put out of our misery.

I have a long list, so here goes...

The Anne of Green Gables series, by LM Montgomery

I am David, by Anne Holm

Playing Beattie Bow, by Ruth Park

The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexander Dumas (unabridged edition, thank you!)

April Fool's Day, by Bryce Courtenay

Pride & Prejudice - Jane Austen

A Tale of Two Cities - Charles Dickens

The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien

Servant/Daughter/Mistress of the Empire - Raymond E Feist

Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (series) - Steven Erikson (takes longer to get into, but worth the hard slog, and seriously kicks butt over Robert Jordan any day)

Wild Swans - Jung Chang

I loved Marsden's Tomorrow series as a teenager, but when I reread it more recently I found it a little shallow and fluffy. Also as a teenager I loved a couple of Robin Klein books, Came Back To Show You I Could Fly, and People Might Hear You. (I think that one was Robin Klein, I could be wrong).

Posted by: cajary
two words - Harry Potter!!!!!

oh and the Tomorrow When the War Began series by John Marsden

DITTO! arent there a few books that follow Tomorrow when the war began??

2 other books i COULDNT put down which is a lil sad to admit lol is "Mary Kay" by Mary Kay Ash, and Robin McGraw - Inside My Heart.
Posted by: KirkieW
Servant/Daughter/Mistress of the Empire - Raymond E Feist

Tales of the Malazan Book of the Fallen (series) - Steven Erikson (takes longer to get into, but worth the hard slog, and seriously kicks butt over Robert Jordan any day)

Love love love the empire series. co written with Janny Wurtz. I cant read raymond feist by himself anymore.

And i will go out and buy the Steven Erikson series. Have been looking for an author to add to my mums library.

Thanks Kirkie!!!
One word... Twilight i love all 4 books in the series

And I also really like Jessica and Four fires by Bryce Courtneay
Love love love the empire series. co written with Janny Wurtz. I cant read raymond feist by himself anymore.

And i will go out and buy the Steven Erikson series. Have been looking for an author to add to my mums library.

Thanks Kirkie!!!

Oh yeah, forgot they were co-written with Janny Wurts. The Empire books were far better than any of the other Riftwar books, I think. DH disagrees, but that's OK smile]

Be prepared to have your mind seriously bent by Erikson. He's not for the faint-hearted or uncommitted reader. The whole first book, I seriously had no idea what was going on. You just get dumped into the middle of the story, with no explanations of who anyone is or how anything works. You kind of have to pick it up as you go along. And just when you think you're getting a handle on it, the next book is set on a different continent with different characters and you're left trying to work out how it might all fit together one day somewhere way down the track. Have fun with it! There are 8 books out (out of the 10 that he'll write). He's much more organised than Jordan ever was, one of the many things I like about Erikson.

OMG!! I just LOVE reading and have read so many brilliant books over the years (lol, that sounds wierd considering im only just 22) but i could have easily read over 200 books!

I remember staying in as a teen (13,14,15yrs old) on wintery, cold, rainy day's laying on my bed reading ALL day and most of those times all i did was literally read and stop to pee, eat or drink for a few minutes lol. On those day's i'd finish a book a day and then sometimes start another...

Some that i've recently read are:

GUILTY & VANISHED - Karen Robards
TULLY - Paullina Simmons
A BEAUTIFUL LIE - Diane Chamberlain

Other's ive read and really enjoyed are:

The 'Tomorrow' series - John Marsden (although im not sure i've read the 6th or 7th books)
All of Jodi Picoult's books especially 'My Sister's Keeper"
Layla's Story - Vanessa Gorman (True story of a lady who lost her 1st daughter through mecconium poisoning 12hrs after birth). A truly harrowing and heartbreaking rea but absolutely beautiful on the flipside. I saw the documentry she did on ABC of her pregnancy/birth when i was 14 and then read the book when it came out.
A Boy Called 'It' - about the boy who was horrifically abused by his mother.

I also read a true story about the man that lost his wife and two daughters in the Port Arthur massacar, that was heartbreaking but a brilliant read.

There are so many more fantastic books that i've read i just can't remember them. I love true story's, they're a;ways a good read.

Im currently reading 'Sophie's Journey' - about Sophie Delezio and everything she's been through in her short life.

Im going to have to make a list of all the books that have been reccomended... and buy a HUGE bookcase lol.

Thanks Emma for starting this thread and everyone who has contributed smile

wow thank you so much everyone for the wonderful suggestions. i literally have an entire A4 page listed with books that i now need to get around to reading at some point LOL

i've read Marley And Me, that was a lovely story for any dog owner.
I've read My Sisters Keeper, im going to read it again though. I think i might get more out of it now that i have a child of my own.
The Memory Keepers Daughter was great too
I have read the first Twilight book but never got back to reading the sequels. my sister owns the whole series though so next time i go down there i will probably borrow heres.
And the Lovely Bones is really good too! another one i need to read again now that i am a mother.

Thank you so much - i dont know how im going to get through them all!
I have so many, but at the moment it is My Sisters Keeper by Jodi Picoult.

Potato Factory by Bryce Courtenay, And the sequels. Also Jessica by the same author.
A Fortunate Life by Albert Facey- we live in the region where the book is based and one of the motels here is called "The Albert Facey"! This is DF's favourite book and the reason DD1 has the middle name Evelyn as it was Albert's wifes name.
To Kill a Mocking Bird- Harper Lee.
The Poldark series is great too. The author is Winston Graham.
The Shiralee by D'arcy Niland.
And Marian Keyes is great chick lit.

Michelle- 3 boys-17,13 & 9 -2 girls-3 & 1

Posted by: KirkieW

Thanks Kirkie!!!

Oh yeah, forgot they were co-written with Janny Wurts. The Empire books were far better than any of the other Riftwar books, I think. DH disagrees, but that's OK smile]

Be prepared to have your mind seriously bent by Erikson. He's not for the faint-hearted or uncommitted reader. The whole first book, I seriously had no idea what was going on. You just get dumped into the middle of the story, with no explanations of who anyone is or how anything works. You kind of have to pick it up as you go along. And just when you think you're getting a handle on it, the next book is set on a different continent with different characters and you're left trying to work out how it might all fit together one day somewhere way down the track. Have fun with it! There are 8 books out (out of the 10 that he'll write). He's much more organised than Jordan ever was, one of the many things I like about Erikson.

Have to agree with you, the Empire books are way better than the magician etc.

I also like Potato Factory and Power of One by Bryce Courtney and could read Colleen McCullogh forever.

There are so may good authors out there. Katherien Kerr is also very good.

I will keep my eye out for Erikson.
Sign in to follow this topic