Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Buying Bras Rss

Hi Guys

I am currently 15 weeks pregnant with baby no. 1.

I am having the most terrible time getting a bra to fit comfortably and to give good support (I want to get the best support possible)! Pre pregnancy, I was a size 8D but had to go to a 10D because you can't get 8D. Since being pregnant, I have increased in cup size, but not around the back (at this stage anyway).

I have bought and returned 7 bras now - it is driving me mad! Some people say to go straight to maternity bras, some say just to get non under wire bras. I can only find size 12 non underwire/maternity bras which are way to big for me around the back. I have also been told that you should go up a bra size and a cup size, which doesn't really help me.

My friend in Darwin sent me a Triumph Minimiser Comfort bra, size 12D but again, it is far to big around the back and it keeps riding up.

I am certain that I am not the only person to have trouble getting a bra. Can anyone offer any advice??

Thanks! Have a great day.

cheers
Maybe go and get professionally fitted for a new bra in a bra shop ie. Bras N Things. They will be able to give you any advice needed, and show you all the different styles/types.

DS - July 04, DD - Feb 06, DS - Oct 07

Hi,

Buying bras while pregnant can be a pain. The advice out there is to start wearing maternity/feeding bras from the start of pregnancy- this is to minimise the risk of damage to breast tissue during pregnancy- which could lead to problems with breastfeeding your bub once thy are born(blocked milk ducts and mastitis). Regular bras which contain no wire would be fine if you can find them- so long as they dont' alter the shape of your breast (you don't want them being squashed up).

As far as going up a bra size and cup size- you don't need to do this until you need them. I always get my breastfeeding bras in the last few weeks of pregnancy- I do buy them so that they have a little room in the cup to allow for increase in volume of beasts once my milk comes in- also allows room for breastpads etc.

Have you tried lingerie shops? They often have sizes which other department stores don't have. You could also try buying one online- do a google search for Aus- for maternity bras and you should find something- one site is www.fillyboo.com.au . Because you are an unusual size (cup and actual bra size) you will probably have to pay a little more to get the quality, size and support you want.

Good luck finding a comfortable and functional bra.
Hey, i've been having mass trouble too. I was a 8/10B and now i am a 14D and still growing. I have no idea what size they'll end up and i am spending so much on bras as they keep growing. Plus i am only 23 weeks!! The best advice i've had is invest in good maternity bras now and make sure you get them properly fitted! I wish i knew what size i'll need lol it would make it so much easier. Good luck!!

Hi December Mum,

I had the same problem if you can afford it or have a supportive partner then you can ask him for the money.
Bras and things fit you and i have 2 maternity bras from them and they are fantastic i have the support and without any restriction.
For bras at this store you are looking at about $30- $40 each but in the end they are worth it.

Hope it helps
Christine
Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses!

I had been getting 'properly' fitted - obviously incorrectly!

I went to a Ladybird (a little lingerie shop at Maroochydore on the Sunshine Coast) and Lisa couldn't have been more helpful! She advised that maternity bras do come in size 10 but most places don't stock them. Luckily, she did and is also ordering me a maternity T shirt bra (which the ladies at Myer had advised didn't exist).

If anyone is local to Maroochydore and needs help with getting the right bra, I really recommend Ladybird Lingerie.

Create a great day!

cheers
Sheridan
hi
when i went to get a bra i was told not to get a maternity bra until 4 or 5 mths and to wear a sports bra, i found these uncomfortable as i wasnt use to wearing them so i got a few camis that have the built in bra.

*MOE* wrote:
when i went to get a bra i was told not to get a maternity bra until 4 or 5 mths and to wear a sports bra, i found these uncomfortable as i wasnt use to wearing them so i got a few camis that have the built in bra.

This is good advice. The sports bra tightens and holds the chest in a more natural way. There are no additional ribs and I never rubs anything. Here you can see a comparative overview of the latest models - https://womenmotorist.com/best-minimizer-bras/ I think this is the best option for breast support. The one exception is the special bra for strapless dresses.
Buying bras while pregnant can be a pain. The advice out there is to start wearing maternity/feeding bras from the start of pregnancy- this is to minimise the risk of damage to breast tissue during pregnancy- which could lead to problems with breastfeeding your bub once thy are born(blocked milk ducts and mastitis). Regular bras which contain no wire would be fine if you can find them- so long as they dont' alter the shape of your breast (you don't want them being squashed up).

As far as going up a bra size and cup size- you don't need to do this until you need them. I always get my breastfeeding bras in the last few weeks of pregnancy- I do buy them so that they have a little room in the cup to allow for increase in volume of beasts once my milk comes in- also allows room for breastpads etc.

Best wishes, World Center of Baby
https://www.worldcenterofbaby.com

Sign in to follow this topic