Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Scan dates not measuring up Rss

Hi There, just wondering if anyone has gone through a simlar circumstance, so I had a dating scan when I was 5w and 4d not baby but a sac. So I had another scan yesterday when I was 8 w however I was only measuring 6w, but this time there was a baby but no heartbeat. I'm so confused I have had my blood taken every week since 5w and my levels have been rising quite significantly. Could my dates be out of whack?? I'm so confused I am worried I might be heading for a d&c
It's totally normal not to be able to hear the heart beat right up until somthing like 12 weeks, baby is soooo tiny that the midwive has trouble finding the heart beat. You may have your dates wrong, it's hard to tell exactly how far along you are, that's why due dates are often wrong, the baby hardly ever comes on or near the due date, because the dates are wrong! If the scan says you are 6weeks, then that's what I'd be going off. Those things are more accurate than our minds and especially during the first few weeks of pregnancy when everything can be a bit stressful, I wouldn't worry, I'd just say your 6 weeks along. My first son I never heard the heart beat until about 16 weeks and my second son was about 12 weeks.

Hi, something similar happened to me with this pregnancy and I'm now 27 weeks along smile
I went for a dating scan and thought I was 6w and 5d but they dated me at 5w and 3d. However they did detect a heartbeat. I went back a week later and still measured behind but had the right growth within that week and a good strong heartbeat.
You won't hear a heartbeat that early bit by 6 or 7 weeks along one should definitely be detected.
I also had blood tests a few days a part to determine hcg levels rising (i also had spotting for 3 weeks).
It all rose properly and I had a couple extra scans with a friend and baby ended up catching up and only measures 3 days behind now.
They say that 2 weeks either side is acceptable. It sounds like if your levels are rising and baby had growth everything should be just fine. Heartbeat is sometimes hard to find that early still and sometimes an internal scan will be much more accurate (i didn't need this though).
Good luck. Are you having another scan to find heartbeat?
Thought I would give an update. I am booked in for another scan if my blood levels keep rising. However yesterday I got bloods taken and they only increased by 4,000. Previous bloods were 29,960 and now my doctor is worried that they have only increase 4,000 in 6 days. So confused, I don't think I should be worried too much because they have increased but we all tend to listen to the doctor. Next blood test is in 2 days, fingers crossed they keep rising
Thought I would give an update. I am booked in for another scan if my blood levels keep rising. However yesterday I got bloods taken and they only increased by 4,000. Previous bloods were 29,960 and now my doctor is worried that they have only increase 4,000 in 6 days. So confused, I don't think I should be worried too much because they have increased but we all tend to listen to the doctor. Next blood test is in 2 days, fingers crossed they keep rising
i'm wondering why you ladys are even having a scan so early they normally wait untill around the 12 week mark so they can find the heart beat and see how far along you are like my doctor one blood test done and now im waiting to get my 12 weekscan, i dont think it's right getting a scan so early, as you ladys are now worrying which you shouldnt be :/ just odd ive never ever had a scan that early with any of my pregnancy's, i'd be questioning the doctor as to why you are getting a scan so freaking early
It's very common to get a dating scan actually. And that is normally done fairly early. You don't have to get one but the option is there.
I had spotting for 3 weeks so it was for peace of mind for myself.
A missed miscarriage can be quite common unfortunately and to wait until 12 weeks and possibly find baby hadn't progressed for weeks or that you have an eptopic pregnancy can be even more heartbreaking as you think you are progressing normally.
It's really a personal choice.
I didn't have any early scans with my first and just waited until 12 weeks.
My second took a year to fall pregnant so I was more on edge with the pregnancy and wanted to se heartbeat earlier.
I then had slight spotting at 10 weeks so was sent for another scan.
This time as mentioned it was because of ongoing spotting...
Good luck renee. Let us know if the numbers progress x
Sorry crazy lee but I need to have an early scan I have a history of ectopic pregnancy and if I don't have an early scan I could possible loose my last Fallopian tube if it's located there. Not just that I have had bleeding with my other pregnancies and I'm classed as high risk. You need to understand that every pregnancy is different and I'm tired of people like you judging other people on why we aren't waiting til 12 weeks. Things happen in life and not everyone had an easy pregnancy
Thanks Ellek, I will keep you posted xox
Our dating scan showed a difference in what we thought the due date was and every other scan showed different due dates! However they usually won't change the due date from the first one they set. On our 20 week scan they said babys head was measuring two weeks bigger than the body so we had another scan which showed the body was still measuring smaller than our "large" babys head! As it turns out our baby was under 7 pounds and didn't have a large head at all! I delivered when the scan said 40 weeks, by my calculation I was 41 smile Good luck with your next scan
Just an update for you all... my blood levels have gone down even further and my little bean hasn't survived. The scans didn't measure up which was the first sign and now my bloods. We are heartbroken but we are hoping for that rainbow baby again sometime soon. Thank you all for your advice and wish you all the very best may your babies fill your lives with joy and happiness xx
So sorry for your loss. I hope that 2016 is your year. Hope that you have a great Christmas.

Thinking of you and your family.

Sign in to follow this topic