Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Baby shower etiquette Rss

Hi ladies

A friend of mine has offered to throw a baby shower for me closer to the due date of baby number 2.

This same friend organised my baby shower for my first baby. I was wondering what the correct etiquette was for this, I thought it was socially acceptable to only have a shower for your first baby?

smile

I think it is pretty normal these days to have a shower for every baby if you want. Baby showers have gone in a new direction, less about the presents and more about celebrating the pregnancy. Games, food, being with people that will have a place in the baby's life.

If you want to have a party, let her organise it! So much fun smile
Im with Tickled Pink. Baby showers are more about your family celebrating that you are pregnant as apposed to the being about making sure you as parents are ready. Some people for their second child ask for just clothing if you have everything else or ask for a small donation so you can buy what is needed instead of ending up with doubles.

Enjoy it. If you feel ok about having another baby shower then enjoy it. If you are thinking about finding out the sex of the baby maybe look at a fun way to do that at your baby shower. I am planning to have them do a reveal box with a pink or blue balloon in it. This time around a baby shower is about celebrating a new life.
In my family it's been the 'normal' to do baby showers for each child. the ones for bub #2 and #3 were smaller, but we see it as a chance to get together and just have fun before bub's arrival. My sister recently had a baby shower for her 2nd child and asked that, instead of 'gifts', people bring a long a meal for her to freeze/offer to cook a meal for them once bub arrives. She's since had bub and has commented how nice it is to be able to not be as worried about getting dinner ready in those first weeks as they adapt to life with 2 kids. If things have been a little crazy, she knows there's a meal in the freezer that she can heat up to have for dinner.

Leisa.
If the babies are the same sex then it isn't necessary to have a baby shower for number 2, but having said that it doesn't mean you can't - just think of it as a way to get your nearest and dearest ladies together for a fun day/afternoon.

But if number 1 was one sex and number 2 the opposite, then it is highly acceptable to have a baby shower for them
For us we had a baby shower for DD, but it was DH and I hosting it...so male and female friends and family came. It was, as TP said about celebrating our first child. We didn't have games. Just an open house invite from 2pm-5pm with loads of food.

We didn't have a shower for DS, as we didn't see it as necessary. But thats just us smile

Enjoy your pregnancy!
courtly wrote:
If the babies are the same sex then it isn't necessary to have a baby shower for number 2, but having said that it doesn't mean you can't - just think of it as a way to get your nearest and dearest ladies together for a fun day/afternoon.

But if number 1 was one sex and number 2 the opposite, then it is highly acceptable to have a baby shower for them

But then, some people don't find out what the sex of their baby will be until after it's born..... smile

I never did a baby shower (got one child) but as always, each to their own! smile
It's "double dipping" IMO. If your friend wants to arrange a party in honor of the baby and welcome the newest family member, perhaps a low key afternoon tea after the birth with a note on the invitation about not bringing a present. I'm sure many still will but at least people don't feel obliged yk?
That's very nice of your friend to offer to do this for you! There's nothing wrong with this, it's a great excuse to get together with your friends before you become a very busy mother of 2!

I only had a shower for my 1st and didn't bother with my 2nd.
In my group of friends we have always only had a baby shower for the first born- that just seems to be the norm here. In saying that it does seen to be more and more common for people to have one for each baby.
If I were in your position I would gratefully accept her offer but stipulate no presents because I would feel uncomfortable about getting gifts a second time around (but that's just me) smile
~Ruby~Gloom~ wrote:
It's "double dipping" IMO. If your friend wants to arrange a party in honor of the baby and welcome the newest family member, perhaps a low key afternoon tea after the birth with a note on the invitation about not bringing a present. I'm sure many still will but at least people don't feel obliged yk?

Sugar&Spice... wrote:
In my group of friends we have always only had a baby shower for the first born- that just seems to be the norm here. In saying that it does seen to be more and more common for people to have one for each baby.
If I were in your position I would gratefully accept her offer but stipulate no presents because I would feel uncomfortable about getting gifts a second time around (but that's just me) smile

Agree with both of the above smile
I had one for both. With DD it was held by us as more of a celebration we didn't expect anything as we had already bought what we needed With DS it was done by a work friend that was more like a going away/baby shower. In my group of friends it seems to be normal to have one for each child, I don't see it as double dipping or along those lines as I would buy a present for the person it is for regardless. For a shower I would give a less expensive neutral gift (unless sex is known) & then the proper present when baby is born smile
Sign in to follow this topic