Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Worried- Huge baby. Rss

I'm 35 weeks pregnant and until a week ago bubs was measuring on track then I went for a normal check up and was measuring 4cm big. So they gave me a referral to go and have an ultra sound. From the ultra sound they told be that baby is measuring 3.7kgs and limb measurements are off the chart. Everything is in proportion and looks normal just big. I should be happy that everything is normal but I'm just worried.
Why is this baby so big all of a sudden?
How big will this baby get (she still has 5 weeks)?
Am I going to be able to have a natural birth or pressured into a C-section?
Will they induce me early?

My son was 3.6kg at birth so this girl is already bigger than him. Geez!

Any information and experiences would be great. Thanks ladies (and gents, maybe).
My son measured HUGE from 30 weeks on and they had me having scans all over the shop told me he was heaps bigger that what he actually turned out to be! Don't get me wrong he wasn't the smallest baby but the estimate that they gave and what he turned out to be was greatly different! Sometimes these measurements and scans can be very inaccurate towards the end or at least thats what my midwife told me!
I gave birth natural with no issues (had dilation issues my cervix wasn't opening evenly but was not related to his size) i had a tear but a small one the one i had with my daughter was bigger she was smaller than him!
I was induced early with DS 37weeks and 4days! I wish i had just waited because i showed up and was in early labour anyway but to speed things and because i was already there they gave the gel and drugs and i wish i never had it! I know everyone is different but it was horrible for me!
DS ended up being 4kg when was born!

Good luck hun i know how stressful it can be to not let it worry you but just try to relax and enjoy the last weeks of your pregnancy!

Don't worry to much at this point, DD2 was estimated at 3.3kg at 33+5 and was born 4 days later (nothing to do with size) at 2.93kg, so she 'lost' 400g in 4 days. Given she was pulled out early I can't answer some of your questions, but wanted to give you a heads up they may look to retest you for GD now and if your DD is born large for gestational age she will probably receive blood sugar level tests after birth (DD2 passed these no worries, and they were heal prick type tests). The care from here will be very dependant on your doctor or midwife and their personal theories, I have found they vary ENORMOUSLY, so there is no way to know what they will push for. Remember it is still your body and your baby so you do have a say in where to from here. If you aren't comfortable with the plan seek a second opinion. Best of luck smile

I agree completely with the above poster. The weights they are giving you are estimates only, and there are any variables that can affect the accuracy,

I had a scan for DD1 and was told at 37 weeks she was 3.1kgs, she was born @ 40+2 and was 2.9kgs. DD2 was born @ 38+5 and was 3.1kgs, I was told only two days earlier she was 3.75kgs.

Thanks lovely ladies.
They have decided to send me for another glucose test to see if I have diabetes (took the first one and passed but now they are questioning the results). So I will have to wait and see what comes of that before they will answer my questions. So frustrating.
I just had a big bubba 4.94kg she had to come out via c section and was induced due to her size however nothing progressed.
Didn't have diabetes or anything and bubs sugar levels were fine.
Just go with it you cant change anything now

AJ- Mumma 2 wrote:
Thanks lovely ladies.
They have decided to send me for another glucose test to see if I have diabetes (took the first one and passed but now they are questioning the results). So I will have to wait and see what comes of that before they will answer my questions. So frustrating.

I have the same issue, the most they can do is estimate, mine was 36 weeks and 3.4kg a week ago. Sent me for a second GTT test too and like the first one came back clear as. I have spoken to quite a few people re scan and weights etc and not a single one of their babies weighed in as much as the scan advised, dont stress, just relax smile

my baby was heavier than scans, but she is perfect and healthy and asleep in my arms. don't stress about it and take it as it comes, you will soon have a beautiful bub in your arms

I had a vaginal birth to ds who was 4.3kg. There were a few complications but they were problems that run in my family and also didn't help that I'm only 156cm tall (or not so tall) and pre-pregnancy weight with him was a teeny 54kg.

Sign in to follow this topic