Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Induction booked! Now, what to pack?

Induction booked! Now, what to pack? Rss

Hi Ladies

So I saw my Dr this morning and she has booked me into be induced Friday 22nd March! So only 11 days to go! Very exciting.

I'm in the process of packing my bag and baby's bag. Any pointers on what to pack and what to forget? I have an outfit for baby to wear home but do I need to pack clothes for her while she's in hospital?

Looking forward to hearing your advice smile

Make sure you pack some stuff to entertain yourself as inductions can take awhile to get going

Depends on the hospital as to what you have to pack for bubs. I just used the hospital little gowns for bubs and their blankets too.

Make sure you pack heaps of pads!, breastpads, Comfy clothes,plenty of underwear, pen and paper,

I found it was best to not pack too much as I did pack heaps of things I didn't use or need.

I would pack some snacks as you don't know how long the whole process will take (unless your hospital has a vending machine?) You will be very hungry after your bub is born so if it's not near lunch or dinner time then you will be glad you packed some snacks smile
Also some blankets/muslin wraps for baby as hospitals tend to be cold. My hospital did not supply anything for mum or baby so I had to bring nappies, wipes, pads, clothing etc. Don't bring too much as you can always get your partner or parent to bring extras from home.
A few singlets and onesie suits for baby are fine. I didn't see the point in packing a 'going home' outfit as we live 10mins away from the hospital.
Best of luck smile
Thanks Ladies, some great ideas there. Have taken note!

Another question too, obviously I'm hoping for a normal natural active labour so am wondering what you wear?! Sounds silly but I'm really struggling.. do I wear a casual comfy dress for easy access/exit (!) or do you wear your fave pants and top? I've packed two above the knee length cotton dresses but have also packed pants and tops... any advice would be appreciated!

smile

I always had to change into a hospital gown before I was induced, so I laboured in that. If you are able to wear your own clothes, make sure it's something old/ something you don't mind getting messy smile
I'm being induced in the 21st! Very exciting.
Labour & after birth bag
Heat pack,spray bottle for your partner to cool you down,underwear,socks,pjs,loose clothes,toiletries,hair brush,dressing gown,powerade/snacks,magazines,chargers,nursing bras,breast pad,maternity pads lots!,face wipes,plastic bags,
That's pretty much my list.hope it helps smile

If you are being induced they will probably need to put a drip into your hand. Once it's in you can't get your top off over it, so remember to have on what you want to give birth in. I didn't do this for my first and I was hot and couldn't get my top off and it annoyed me. It got in the way when I was trying to go skin to skin after birth afterwards.

Second time round I took my top off completely and just had the hossy gown and blankets on if I got cold. For done reason I hated clothes and restrictive things to inch my skin when I was on labour.

Ally_Watsford wrote:
I'm being induced in the 21st! Very exciting.
Labour & after birth bag
Heat pack,spray bottle for your partner to cool you down,underwear,socks,pjs,loose clothes,toiletries,hair brush,dressing gown,powerade/snacks,magazines,chargers,nursing bras,breast pad,maternity pads lots!,face wipes,plastic bags,
That's pretty much my list.hope it helps smile

How exciting, is this first baby for you also?

Thanks ladies. Am starting to think maybe a strapless dress might be the go? easy to remove but still feeling covered up. I have the option to hop in the shower at anytime too - gosh so much to think about! Have my last antenatal appointment with my Dr on Monday so might just check with her also on what the hospital provide and or offer advice! xx

Hi all

Induction moved forward due to Dr being away so am going in this afternoon at 4pm! Very nervous but also just wanting it to hurry up as sitting around waiting is worse!
We were actually meant to go in this morning at 6am. We were up at 4am, showered, breakfast and on the road at 5am (it takes approx 45mins to the hospital) when just a few mins out of town the hospital called and said that two other women were birthing at that time and could we wait until 12.30pm! So we turned around and went home back to bed.
I was up at 9 vacuuming, mopping etc just to keep my mind off it when they called again and asked if we could come at 4pm instead! Hopefully no more changes and we're good to go this time!

Anyway better get going, just wanted to check in and give you all an update! You'll hear from me when our baby girl has arrived! smile

Hi all

Just a quick check in to let you know our little girl arrived safe and sound via c-section at 1.42pm on Friday 22nd March. Her name is Harriet Jane and she weighed 6lb 11oz.

smile

Honeychild wrote:
Hi all

Just a quick check in to let you know our little girl arrived safe and sound via c-section at 1.42pm on Friday 22nd March. Her name is Harriet Jane and she weighed 6lb 11oz.

smile

Congratulations!
Sign in to follow this topic