Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Ultrasounds Lock Rss

My brain seriously isn't functioning atm so I'm sorry if this doesn't make sense.

My best friend just txt me to find out when I will be going for my next scan. I am 19 weeks today. I have my first hospital appointment on Monday and was waiting until then to see what they say. However, my best friend is telling me that this scan is up to us to book in??? My GP told me that the 12 week scan was the only one optional but my friend is saying that the 12 week scan needs to be done and the 18 (to whatever week it is) is optional.

Can someone please clarify what it right because I really have no idea right now...
As far as i know the 20week scan is the one you need, that is the on they do all the major measurements and making sure everything is in working order on bub. the hospital does this one.

I only had an early sacn at 13 weeks because of bleeding, so it was a suspected miscarriage. thankfully everything was good smile If you are age 35 or older they do offer a scan at 12 weeks to check for down syndrome.
Kel'sblessings wrote:
As far as i know the 20week scan is the one you need, that is the on they do all the major measurements and making sure everything is in working order on bub. the hospital does this one.

I only had an early sacn at 13 weeks because of bleeding, so it was a suspected miscarriage. thankfully everything was good smile If you are age 35 or older they do offer a scan at 12 weeks to check for down syndrome.

Well that's good.. I was starting to panic that maybe I was doing/hearing something wrong lol

Glad everything worked out for you at 13 weeks smile We have already done the 12 week scan due to the fact that my DF has down syndrome on his side of the family - Always good to be prepared smile

I'm 19 weeks today so I will just leave it up to the hospital when I see them on Monday smile

Thanks!!
no worries smile
Behind a Smile wrote:
Technically both optional.

The 12 week does the downs testing etc.

The 20 week one is gender identification etc I do believe

Both are optional. The 12 week one is the Nuchal Translucency (NT)which test for Down syndrome and the 19/20 week scan is the Morphology and looks at:

At this stage the sonographer or doctor can:

Confirm that the fetal heart is beating
Detect multiple pregnancies
Measure the fetal size
Assess the position of the placenta
Check the volume of amniotic fluid around the baby
Look for fetal abnormalities

I'm also attempting to post a table below that says what chances there are of certain things being picked up on the scan (sorry if it doesn't work):

http://www.ultrasoundcare.com.au/images/18_20_i...

Kel'sblessings wrote:

The scan are generally offered to all pregnant women regardless of age but due to the increased risk of downs syndromes they are more highly recommended for older mothers. There is also a medicare rebate which is only applicable to women over 35 years of age.

your too late for the 12 week scan now and i found it a waste of money as you have to pay for it if you had a dating scan it gives you the probability as iam young it turned out that i was in the low risk and had like a 1 in 37000 chance of my baby being downs but as she told me i still could have a downs so i deffinately don't reccomend it to anyone with no previous family history of downs and the 20 week one is awesome and if you can find a womens clinic they will usually do it for free you get to see your little one and its features developing nicely i even got 3d photos where i went both my partner and i wanted to know the sex too and were lucky our little man was in a good position and we were lucky to have an awesome sonographer who took an extra 10 mins to check the heart development because bub was sitting wrong when she first tried its deffinately one to do i highly reccomend (just the heads up you will probably cry cause its so amasing both my partner and i did)
2CuddlyMuffins wrote:
We got offered the 12-week scan, and DH and I were 22 and 19 years old respectively. We chose to have it because we wanted to see the bub smile

Sounds kinda like us - Although we are 26 and 31 - First thought when my GP offered was "YES!! I want to see my baby" lol but I realise it's about checking for important things etc but my DF and I both don't believe in termination so it didn't really matter about down syndrome

We were lucky enough to not have to pay for the 12 week scan and only had to pay for the blood test smile It was great seeing our little overactive baby but I think the best part was hearing the heart beat smile
Maybe it depends where you are? I was offered 13 week Nuchal Translucency scan but was told by both GP and the hospital that 20 week scan was not optional.

20 week scan they will check major organs for development and if there are any issues, and can tell you re gender. They told me to allow 1 hour for the scan!

BusyMum3Kids - #4 coming smile wrote:
Maybe it depends where you are? I was offered 13 week Nuchal Translucency scan but was told by both GP and the hospital that 20 week scan was not optional.

Everything's optional smile they might try to tell you you need certian tests or scans but ultimately it's entirely up to you.
The nuchal scan isn't compulsary but it is good to do and Medicare will give you a little bit of the money back. It not only picks up your risk with Downs Syndrome but it's good to make sure there is nothing else seriously wrong with bubs. I had it done and would do it again. Being young or having no family history does not mean your baby will not have Downs.

The morphology scan needs to be done between 18-20 weeks and is highly recommended. They look at everything, the heart, bones, kidneys, brain, etc. Mine went for over an hour because they are so thorough.

Scans are always good to have, I don't care how much money they cost, I want to know my baby is healthy and they should be compulsary and of course free.

Ok, I have another question.. How important is it to get this scan done by 20 weeks? My boss (who is also my grandma) won't let me take anymore time off work so I won't be able to go until I'm 22 weeks. I'm so damn annoyed I'm about to hand in my resignation. You'd think she'd have more care considering she is family.
I have to laugh! So I just had my first hospital appointment (finished about half an hour ago) and whilst I was there we were talking about ultrasounds and I told the midwife I hadn't had my 18-20 week scan but I couldn't do it until the 29th and told her why. She calls up to book me in and goes to the lady on the other end "what's your next available appointment?" lol So next week I have to leave early on Monday for the ultrasound and then again on Thursday to go see the doctor at the hospital.... I think I will be well and truly in the bad books tomorrow. Ah well... My baby is the most important thing in the world to me so if my family can't be on my side they can stick their job up their bum smile
Sign in to follow this topic