Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Last pregnancy VS this pregnancy

Last pregnancy VS this pregnancy Lock Rss

I don't know if it's just the technicians I'm getting now compared to the ones I had with my first pregnancy, but with my first pregnancy everyone was so much nicer when doing my ultrasounds! It's like because I'm pregnant for a second time, it's not as exciting for me anymore, so they don't bother to get me involved in the ultrasound process.

I had my 12w u/s yesterday for down syndrome and the guy who was doing mine didn't even SHOW me the screen! I was just laying there waiting and waiting and then nothing! I never even thought to ASK because I've never had to before. I was just baffled and extremely disappointed, seeing as I was really looking forward to seeing my little bean. I received print outs of the photos that were taken, but there is literally only 1 picture where I can even make out the baby, the rest is it's head, spine and all that other close up stuff. With my first pregnancy, I got to watch the screen almost half of the time and once I was done they gave me all the images on a disc and there was even a couple of little recordings on the dvd!

With my first ultrasound at 8 weeks, the lady I had at least showed me the screen, but I was only given this little teeny tiny photo, where as with my first pregnancy, my first ultrasound images were given to me on massive xray plastic.

I didn't think much of my 8w scan though, it was at a different radiology compared to my first pregnancy scan, I just figured they must be stingy there, but after yesterday, going to the same radiology as all my ultrasounds with my first pregnancy and not even getting to see the screen and only receiving print outs FOR MY DOCTOR and no personal print outs for myself, I'm starting to feel like people put in a lot less effort when it's a persons second pregnancy sad

Or is the normal and I was just spoiled on my first pregnancy? I'm starting to feel like I'll have to book in for a private ultrasound somewhere just so I can see my bub wiggling around and hear his/her heartbeat sad
This is my first pregnancy and both my dating scan and my NT scan were done by the same woman and she was wonderful! The pictures were great (only got the ones for the Dr, but the Dr didn't mind I'd opened them to show off) and I was really happy. But at my 20 week ultrasound... It was horrible to say the least. Different ultrasound tech who wanted to put me in a room where there was no viewing monitor, but I insisted. From what I'd read the 20 week u/s was a long one, and I didn't want to not be able to see my baby!

Anyway, this technician hardly talked, showed no enthusiasm, took forever to tell us what the sex of our baby was and then told us we'd have to come back another day to get the report and pics on disc because their machine was playing up. Fair enough I thought, at least I got to watch my baby for the better part of an hour and a half.

Well, 3 days later I went in to pick up the report and pictures and I was absolutely disgusted! For all the shots she'd taken, I'd been given a lousy 8 of horrendous quality, none of which had the "it's a girl!" with an arrow pointing... Nope, I got pictures of the top of the head and a leg and an arm, but no face, no hands no feet...! The pictures from the 12 week scan were SO much better, and done on the same machine! And to top it all off, the report said that they couldn't get clear pictures because of "maternal body habitus" - which was explained to me by my MIL (who was a midwife) as the mother being overweight - WHAT THE?! I was lighter than I was pre-pregnancy, and naturally the baby was bigger than at the 12wk, but they blamed me? GRRRR.....!

I was glad that I'd insisted on going to a room with a viewing monitor, and it's such a shame that I don't have any decent 20 week pictures to show our friends. At my antenatal appointment yesterday the OB talked of doing a 34 week scan to check the growth but decided against it because I was measuring fine and I had no complaints. You can imagine I had my hopes up too wink

Never mind, we'll be meeting our precious daughter in a few weeks anyway - the countdown is on! Sorry for the essay, but you can see how I sympathize!

I had a great ultrasound technician and experience this morning for my second child's 12 week scan. (It'd wanna be since it cost $360!!!!)She was lovely and showed me everything and explained everything she was doing. I did need a bit of a refresher after 3 years!

That's crap that this man didn't show you bub or any pics!!! If your really not happy about it maybe make a complaint?

Hey Nai just wanted to say thats great news you had a great scan and saw your precious baby today. smile I tried to post on your page but Huggies won't let me GRRRRRR

To the OP
Last pregnancy which was my 3rd I found I wasn't treated as well as previous pregnancys and they seemed to like to say you've seen it all before so you won't mind if we hurry up the scan a bit. I then informed that I wanted to see my precious baby and this is a new pregnancy and should be treated as one too. They then apologized and did a wonderful scan.

Mummy of 5 Gorgeous Babes smile
My newest Gorgeous Baby Boy arrived 1st January 2014 smile xxx

Your not the only one..I've found second time around they aren't as nice and don't show you as much or go over things with you. Its like your meant to know what everything is in the scan. I also found the first question they asked me was 'is this your first' and once I said no they didn't talk to me at all. At my 20 week scan the man doing actually made me cry he was pushing so hard.And I didn't get to see any of it because the display screen wasn't working. I didn't even get any photos.
I'm due for my 36 week scan next week and am not really looking forward to it. I don't want to leave crying again.

Your not the only one..I've found second time around they aren't as nice and don't show you as much or go over things with you. Its like your meant to know what everything is in the scan. I also found the first question they asked me was 'is this your first' and once I said no they didn't talk to me at all. At my 20 week scan the man doing actually made me cry he was pushing so hard.And I didn't get to see any of it because the display screen wasn't working. I didn't even get any photos.
I'm due for my 36 week scan next week and am not really looking forward to it. I don't want to leave crying again.

That's horrible! If you get him again I'd either ask for someone else or verbalise when he is hurting you - there's no need for them to push that damn hard and I'd be willing to bet bubs wouldn't be enjoying it either!
Sign in to follow this topic