Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

lower back pain @ 20wks. Rss

I'm having shocking lower back for a week now, I know I can't take any pain relief meds, I have been using a heat pack when it becomes unbearable.

Is anyone else getting back pain this early? Can I use creams like deep heat?

I don't think you can use creams like deep heat but you can use panadol and I'm not sure but possibly nurofen (check that with your chemist).

Heat packs and hot showers and good for relief but you also need to work on keeping your core muscles strong - consider your posture and avoid excessive lifting, bending and other activities that strain your back. During pregnancy your muscles and ligaments relax and this makes pregnant ladies more prone to injury, not to mention the bowling ball you are growing too!

You might also benefit from some pregnancy tailored yoga or pilates as both of these work on strengthening core muscles which will help you after the baby is born too.

Back pain is very common during pregnancy but there are some measures you can take to reduce it

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Hoola I literally feel your pain. Im having similar back, leg pain and suspect that mine is Pelvic Girdle Pain. Im booking in to see a physio next week. Im pretty sure you cant use any creams and its just physio and heat as a 'solution'.

BTW I also have a 2.3yo (and Im 30wks pregnant) so Im sure some of it is caused by caring/lifting your daughter. Try if you can to reduce the lifting as that will help alot.
I did with my second. Spoke to my doc about it as I was prepared to see a physio or someone for it. He said that there was no point seeing anyone for it as its just pregnancy.

I did with my second. Spoke to my doc about it as I was prepared to see a physio or someone for it. He said that there was no point seeing anyone for it as its just pregnancy.

Sometimes this is true, there are aches and pains in pregnancy that are just part of it but I don't always agree with the flippant responses doctors give about it. Pregnancy lasts long enough, but when you are in significant pain it takes twice as long. Not saying your doctor was wrong in your case, but just saying that it's not good for doctors to cast aside concerns saying nothing can be done when there may well be something to help

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Sign in to follow this topic