Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Light spotting at @ 5 1/2 weeks pregnant

Light spotting at @ 5 1/2 weeks pregnant Lock Rss

Hi Everyone,
I am new to writing on this forum, although have always used it as a reference.
I was just wondering if others have experienced light bleeding / brown discharge early on in pregnancy. Sorry TMI.
I am @ 5 1/2 weeks pregnant and over the weekend beginning on Sat i had a very light bleed (red) once off, then had brown discharge for the rest of the day only when i wiped. Sunday it seemed to have pretty much disappeared, then today i have had brown discharge happening again. I rang ob today and he has sent me to have my HCG levels checked, I had one blood test today with another to be done Wednesday.
Just wondering if this is common? My first pregnancy i had no bleeding problems but every symptom possible to pregnancy, This time no real pregnancy symptoms.
Thanks for listening out there, Just stressing out!
smile
Hi, my first pregnancy I had no bleeding whatsoever so know what it's like to be sprung upon you!
Unfortunately, that's how my miscarriage started. I only had brown discharge when I wiped, not enough to need a pad or anything, and over a week it became slightly more, and then a massive gush of blood. But, I didn't loose the baby at that point! So basically what i'm saying is I know it's definitely normal to have some bleeding but bleeding with pain etc, isn't normal.
Hope everything works out, keep us updated smile
Hi there,
A lot of women have some sort of bleeding in early pregnancy. Half the time it's fine, half the time it's not. Sorry not to be a ray of hope here, but that's just the way it is. sad
The way you describe it as a brown discharge that only lasted a day or two, it doesn't sound too serious.

You've done the right thing by going to your doctor and getting blood tests. The results of those tests will give you a clear idea of what's happening. The HCG levels should double every 48 hours. If they do great! If not, then it's really not a good thing at all.

Fingers crossed for good results smile

Hi,
I know exactly how you feel.....I had some bleeding early on in my pregnancy started about 5 and a half weeks too.

One afternoon I got home and had some light pink blood when I wiped and then it turned into brown. The next morning it was light pink again and occasionally had a red streak through it so I was petrified I was loosing my baby. I went to emergency and they did bloods and a scan. Because it was so early they couldnt see much, only the gestational sac and the yolk sac but they said that was normal for that early on so I went home feeling a bit better and I didnt bleed anymore.

About a week and a half later it started again and it lasted for about 5 days. Really light though, changing from pink to brown throughout the day. I was getting married that weekend so I didnt want to go and get another ultrasound incase it was bad news so I waited till the next week, went for a scan and there was my baby. Very normal healthy and heart beating away. The scan lady did say there was a tiny pocket of blood there which was probly left over from implantation and probly why I bled.

I also had another tiny bleed for 1 day when I was about 10 weeks.

Im now 24 weeks and everything has been perfect from then on. So I hope I can put your mind at ease a little.
FX for a sticky baby!!!!!

I had the same sort of bleeding approximately every four weeks or so. At first I was petrified, and did all the scans etc, but when it continued to happen the doctor assured me that it was most likely going to continue through my whole pregnancy and not to get distressed over it unless there was serious pain/cramping associated with it - not to be confused with the stretching of the muscles that you feel.

I'm 28 weeks pregnant now and my bub is as healthy as can be, but I remember how scared I was too.
I had light spotting with bot my pregnanies. With DD1 it was form 4 - 8 weeks pregnant and with DD2 it was until 7 weeks. No reason was found.

But I had HCG levels checked and a early scan to rule out ectopic.
Thank you for all your responses.
Unfortunately we found out yesterday that my HCG levels had dropped and the scan showed no viable pregnancy sad
Feeling pretty sad and disappointed, but i keep looking at my beautiful 18month old boy and amazing husband and still count my lucky stars.
Best wishes to you all

Thank you for all your responses.
Unfortunately we found out yesterday that my HCG levels had dropped and the scan showed no viable pregnancy sad
Feeling pretty sad and disappointed, but i keep looking at my beautiful 18month old boy and amazing husband and still count my lucky stars.
Best wishes to you all

I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't work out work for you.
Miscarriage is heartbreaking. Take time to grieve. You've got a great attitude - counting your blessings!
Wishing you the best of luck for trying again in the future, if you choose to smile

Light bleeding is early pregnancy is commin and it diesn't harm baby. It usually happens at about the same time that your period would have been due, and may last for a day or two. You may only notice it after you have been to the toilet and wiped. If it continues better to consult doctor. The causes of light spotting during pregnancy can be due to Breakthrough bleeding, Implantation bleeding and Vaginal or cervical infection. Here is the list of other causes http://www.momjunction.com/articles/causes-of-v...
Sign in to follow this topic