Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. If you could give one piece of advice to someone starting IVF, what would it be?

If you could give one piece of advice to someone starting IVF, what would it be? Rss

IVF is a great option for many couples, but it can be a rollercoaster journey. If you've been through IVF, what do you wish you'd known before you started? We're trying to compile a list of advice for those starting out on their special journey, so we'd love to hear from you!
I would say:
1. Don't expect it to happen straight away. Yes it can happen but don't get your hopes up, it can be a long process.
2. It's going to cost more than you think. There are always little extra costs such as any medication that you may need to go on and also each transfer that you do can cost up to $3500 depending on what clinic you use.
3. Join an IVF forum. You can talk about it to your friends and family but unless they have been through IVF, they will not understand. You may also regret telling people later on if it's taking a long time to get pregnant. The questions from them will do your head in.
4. If you work, definitely tell your boss. You will get sick from the medication and you'll need time off after the egg retrieval (you'll be in pain).
That's all that I can think of right now. I've done two cycles and am now pregnant on my third transfer. I did fall pregnant on my first transfer but lost it at 7 weeks.
Good luck to anyone taking this journey. It can be hard at times but it'll be worth it in the end.

Sign in to follow this topic