Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Planning for Pregnancy
  5. Private Health Insurance. 9 Month wait

Private Health Insurance. 9 Month wait Rss

I'm with Australian Unity too and I've found them to be fantastic =)
Hi, I had a similar situation. The previous post is not true as they will cover you of you conceive within that period. As long as your due date is after the wait.
I upgraded my health insurance in April with NIB. They told me to wait at least 3 months before trying to conceive as it was a 12 month wait. After 3 months we started trying and I fell pregnant straight away. I panicked about having the baby early as my due date was only 3 weeks after my wait period!
I called NIB and said that I followed their instructions to wait 3 months but conceived right away (this was written on their website in fine print). They said all I needed to do was send in a letter from my obstetrician with my due date and to write a letter saying I wanted them to review my case and confirm that they wpuld cover me if my baby was born early. (Otherwise I'd be up for around $15k!)
NIB reviewed it and sent me confirmation in writing that I would be covered no matter when baby was born. They also sent me a schedule of everything I was covered for. They were really helpful as they WANT your business. Just be polite and try and get confirmation in writing if required or if your nervous.
A friend of mine had her due date only one day after her waiting period and her health fund still agreed to cover her.
Also I do know with Australian Unith you will need to upgrade to family cover at least 3 months before your due date for your baby to be covered (in case of any emergencies at birth).
Hope that helps. Pm if you have any questions.

Sign in to follow this topic