Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Difficult decisions in pregnancy Lock Rss

Me and my hubby decided that if it were to come to that we would terminate. But I guess you never really know what choice you would make unless the situation occurred. It would be the toughest decision of your life.

Someone close to me terminated after finding out there was a chance of downs syndrome, I know that it is something she will think about for the rest of her life. She still considers bubs apart of the family and gave her a name.


You can never ever know what you would do until you are in that situation. That's all I can say about it.
I'm currently 35 weeks pregnant with our first child. My partner and I didn't get an amino done because we both felt that even if there was a risk our baby wouldn't be perfect in the medical sense, we would still love her and go ahead with the pregnancy anyway. We just felt personally that if it came back as being a high chance we would go ahead with the pregnancy but it would be a worry in the back of our minds that we don't need. We have both known families with members who have downs and other illnesses and they are still perfectly happy healthy people. And at the end of the day, even if the test comes back high, like 1 in 10 chance or 1 in 3 as above, thats still a 9 in 10 chance or a 2 in 3 chance they would be absolutely fine! So for us we decided that we wouldn't go with the test and would just take our baby as she comes and be the best parents we can smile
we made the decision to terminate if our bub had it, it would be awful to go through and something we would have to live with but i have four other children and i dont think it would be fair to them. A friend down the road her granddaughter is a downs child and she said the amount of time and care that goes into a child with downs is full on thats why i just couldnt do it.
we made the decision to terminate if our bub had it, it would be awful to go through and something we would have to live with but i have four other children and i dont think it would be fair to them. A friend down the road her granddaughter is a downs child and she said the amount of time and care that goes into a child with downs is full on thats why i just couldnt do it.
When I was pregnant with my DS I didn't even know about the scan and wasn't offered one. So then when I was pregnant second time around we decided that we wouldn't have the scan done. We decided that no matter what we were going to keep the baby.



Hi Everyone,

This is my first pregnancy and we chose not to have the nuchal scan done, as far as i'm aware it only gives u a percentage of your chances of having a baby with downs, you then have to have the amnio done to get some form of confirmation which i've heard carries risks along with it.
When i went for my 19wk scan they measured the nuchal fold then and i was given a very low risk of downs and in the 19wk scan they can see much much more, so what if at your 19-20 week scan something worse than downs came up? I'm not sure if i could or couldn't reminate a pregnancy, i've never had to be in that position and hope i never have to be. It's all a personal choice i guess and whether or not you and ur partner feel you could give that child the best possible chance at life



We had to consider this with our first pregnancy, the scan said he had a 1 in 126 chance of downs (considering my age that was considered a high risk). We went through the amnio, with the decision having been made that if bubs had downs we would terminate. I still do not know to this day, if the result had been positive for downs if I could have gone through with the termination. It is one of those things I think that until it is something you have to face you really can not be sure what you will do. Research I have done since then, leads me to believe that the timing of when i had the NT scan played a very big part in the high risk, I was further along then I thought and was actually 13wk 6 days (the final cut off for NT scan) and this seems to make the result much less reliable, also at that stage in NZ they were not doing the combined screening, only the scan

It's a tough question. When I was pregnant with the boys we were faced with this every week. It was a terrible time. When I first found out that I was pregnant with twins they thought they were conjoined. My first response then was to teminate. I could not choose later on who would survive and who would not that would just not be fair. After further investigations they were not conjoined but they were identical with a large growth difference. Not really possible being identical. At 14 weeks they said we would have to treminate the smaller one to save the bigger one if growth slowed down to nothing as he would die and kill the bigger twin. At the 18 week scan they also pick up a heart problem. The problem that the smaller twin had 9 out of 10 kids also had a cromosone error. We had the amnio done only on the condition that if the results were bad we would terminate the smaller one or not worth the risk having the amnio done. We were lucky all came back clear. It is a very tough decision. All i could think about was the surviving twin would he always feel like somthing was missing in his life if we terminated. I was under two fantastic doctors who monitored me several times a week. It as always looming would today be the day. At the end when we reached 24 weeks it was more when can we deliver. I was very luck that we made it to 34 weeks with both babies and they both survived. I do wonder some days how our life would be if we took the easy way out and terminated our smaller twin and not gone thru what we did. They are both such a blessing and thing that someone was looking after us and our boys. It was such a tough time but we were lucky that we had great support from two very caring doctors who had never seen all the conditions that we had before they were very cautious to what to do. But saying all that we would have terminated if the time had come. Each and everyone of us would probably make a different decision and for different reasons and I don't think we will always understand everyones decision but I think you do what is right for you at the time and you should not have to justify that to anyone.

My heart goes out to all that have been put in this position either way I think it hurts no matter what your decision is.


Sign in to follow this topic